GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 08:41 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamalana
Thank you for your recommendation! I will do that. It sounds like you really understand the problem.
Btw Bamalana, you're welcome for linking you to the other topic that sounds similar to your issue! Doubt you would have came across it otherwise.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 04-13-18, 06:58 AM
Bamalana
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't do it immediately after starting to drive. It's usually after I've been driving for several miles at top speeds so it may be heat related. We might try one more time taking it to Lexus and giving them these suggestions while the dealer looks for me another car.
Old 05-18-19, 08:18 PM
odaymax66
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 GS 350 - Steering problem

It doesn't do it immediately after starting to drive. It's usually after I've been driving for several miles at top speeds so it may be heat related. We might try one more time taking it to Lexus and giving them these suggestions while the dealer looks for me another car.
Hi - curious if you ever found a solution. i have the IDENTICAL problem with my 2014 GS350. The local Lexus dealer is going to take a second look to see if they can resolve it. Mine was CPO as well.
Old 05-20-19, 05:48 AM
Bamalana
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by odaymax66
Hi - curious if you ever found a solution. i have the IDENTICAL problem with my 2014 GS350. The local Lexus dealer is going to take a second look to see if they can resolve it. Mine was CPO as well.
No we never got the issue resolved and It has gotten worse over time too. It is dangerous. My husband drove it on a 5 hour trip last week and it was so bad we nearly went off the road. I am about to trade it. Just have to decide what I want . If your dealer can figure it out please let me know.
Old 05-20-19, 06:23 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 411 Likes on 286 Posts

No we never got the issue resolved and It has gotten worse over time too. It is dangerous. My husband drove it on a 5 hour trip last week and it was so bad we nearly went off the road. I am about to trade it. Just have to decide what I want . If your dealer can figure it out please let me know.
How can it be this bad but never reproduced by dealer? Tell them to go drive it for an hour til it happens, or take a video of it happening when you are driving and show it to them. If it is this bad, they have to take action.
Old 05-20-19, 06:55 AM
Bamalana
Driver School Candidate

Yes, thank you! I probably wouldn't have come across it.
Old 05-20-19, 07:53 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Did you try bringing it to a different dealer? I would have called up the service manager of another dealer and explain the situation, some of them understand the value prop of actually helping the customer resolve their issue, and possibly winning your business in the future.

-Mike
Old 05-20-19, 08:32 AM
Bamalana
Driver School Candidate

We did discuss taking it to another dealer but that requires a 3 hour drive. The closest one (the one we used) is 90 miles away. It wasn't feasible for us.
Old 05-20-19, 01:30 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

I couldn't live a week with this kind of problem, let alone a year. I'd take it to an independent shop if nothing else. This is a public safety issue.
Old 05-20-19, 03:00 PM
Bamalana
Driver School Candidate

We have taken it to independent shops. They don't want to touch it because it's a Lexus. One did look at look and didn't have a clue. People think it's the lane assist. It is NOT the lane assist! We turned the lane assist off and it still does it! This has really turned me off of Lexus and I was a second time Lexus buyer.
Old 05-20-19, 08:11 PM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

We have taken it to independent shops. They don't want to touch it because it's a Lexus. One did look at look and didn't have a clue. People think it's the lane assist. It is NOT the lane assist! We turned the lane assist off and it still does it! This has really turned me off of Lexus and I was a second time Lexus buyer.
Haha I think the car you bought is a one off, abused lease return that was sold by a non Lexus dealer. Sounds like you bought a beater and not a representation of what 99% of Lexus owner experience. Don't blame a bad used purchase on what is arguebly the most reliable car brand.

I've never heard of that issue outside of the one thread linked previously, which seems related to the rear steering. I

'd guarantee if you found another GS not purchased at a sketchy used car dealership, that you would not have this issue. Worth a shot?
Old 05-21-19, 06:43 PM
odaymax66
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi - no luck with my latest effort with Ontario Lexus - they weren't able to duplicate it... though they only drove it 7 miles. My next step will be to contact Lexus corporate to see what, if any, help they can provide. I, like you, really enjoy the car, but it definitely should not have this issue. I'll keep you posted as I work towards a solution. Please keep me posted, too, on what happens with your car. Thanks!
Old 05-22-19, 08:17 AM
Bamalana
Driver School Candidate

The dealership I took mine too only drove it a short time also. Let me know what corporate says.
Old 05-22-19, 08:23 AM
6speediroc
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't you drive with the tech on the test-drive?
Old 05-22-19, 09:07 AM
Bamalana
Driver School Candidate

I did. It didn't do it. I can't take it by the service department when it is doing it being 90 miles away. They have looked at it 3 times!

Quick Reply: steering issue