GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19 | 12:37 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

The symptoms below are exactly what I have experienced in a 2008 ISF and a 2013 GS350.
It seems to be more prominent when the car has been running for awhile (30+minutes) and it's warm/hot outside.

Good luck getting Lexus dealers to do anything about it, in or out of warranty. I have tried many times and the answer from them is always "working as normal," "road crowning," or some other excuse.

I think as the cars age, it's the power steering ECU, which resides under the battery. Who knows why it occurs inconsistently, but it is annoying and indeed a safety issue since you have to "jerk" the car to get it out of the "stuck" position. Might have to take matters into your own hands and just replace the power steering ECU at your own cost.

Originally Posted by marjenmill
I'm the original owner of a GS 350 Luxury, RWD and I have the same steering issue. Unfortunately, I'm just out of warranty by time, not miles (38k).

My car exhibits the same issues discussed -
- wheel seems to "lock" and requires a lot more force, like a jerk on the steering wheel, to loosen it
- happens at speeds over 60mph (usually around 80 to 85, lol)
- car has been sitting in the sun for hours, so it is warm (I'm in Atlanta)
- tends to occur on straight or slightly curved road areas, not the same area of hwy
- has not happened at low speeds such as within a neighborhood or parking lot
- doesn't happen all the time

I've had my tires (Michelin) rotated and re-balanced and still have the issue. My next step is to take it to the dealer which I may try to set up in mid June.

Has anyone else had this happen or had a fix for it?
Old 07-09-19 | 12:52 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe u guys can install a dash cam or a gopro aiming at the steering wheel on long drives and record this behavior and show that u have to jerk it to get it back to normal so that the dealer or corporate can see the problem. They can't really do anything if they can't duplicate the problem.
Old 07-09-19 | 02:01 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by itsmike177
The symptoms below are exactly what I have experienced in a 2008 ISF and a 2013 GS350.
It seems to be more prominent when the car has been running for awhile (30+minutes) and it's warm/hot outside.

Good luck getting Lexus dealers to do anything about it, in or out of warranty. I have tried many times and the answer from them is always "working as normal," "road crowning," or some other excuse.

I think as the cars age, it's the power steering ECU, which resides under the battery. Who knows why it occurs inconsistently, but it is annoying and indeed a safety issue since you have to "jerk" the car to get it out of the "stuck" position. Might have to take matters into your own hands and just replace the power steering ECU at your own cost.
It could be that your Electric Power Steering's sensors and the Power Steering Computer Unit's voltages are just [barely] within the parameters where no codes are thrown. (Codes, mechanical noises and technician firsthand experiences from test driving the vehicle are what Lexus technicians go by to acknowledge an issue/problem, so without any of those the problem cannot be duplicated and thus Lexus is not able to so anything. Lexus is not going to just start replacing stuff *****-nilly hoping that a problem they cannot identify will go away.)

If you want to try to see if your EPS hangs-up and the steering wheel becomes difficult to turn as it heats up (without taking the chance of an accident) and might throw a helpful code you can do this - turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock over-and-over multiple times to see if you feel it hanging or becoming stiff at any time. Doing this causes the PSCU to heat up and could cause the issue you are experiencing after a lengthy drive on a warm day to be duplicated...and hopefully throw the needed code you need for Lexus to acknowledge the problem and replace the part (likely the PSCU) or refresh the unit's software. It should be noted that when typically driving its almost certain that the driver will be turning the steering wheel off its dead-center position on a constant basis even a little bit, which causes sensor voltages to increase or decrease as the steering wheel is turned to the left and right - this causes the PSCU to heat up, but might not be enough to throw the all-important code you seek.

If you can perform this lock-to-lock steering wheel exercise on wet pavement (spread some water on the pavement) it would prevent your tires from grinding into the pavement or leaving a black mark on your driveway. It's not the difficultly (resistance) of turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock that matters, it's what the sensor voltages do (as the steering wheel is turned off dead-center) to increase the heat of the PSCU that matters...and whether that internal heat triggers the hang-up or stiffening of the steering wheel you experience from time-to-time. I would perform this exercise soon after driving the car and arriving home. I would count the number of lock-to-lock times you turn the steering wheel over-and-over again until you have done it a minimum of forty times. Report back if you felt any hang-up or stiffening of the steering wheel, or if this exercise threw a code. Let us know...
Old 07-09-19 | 02:23 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Maybe u guys can install a dash cam or a gopro aiming at the steering wheel on long drives and record this behavior and show that u have to jerk it to get it back to normal so that the dealer or corporate can see the problem. They can't really do anything if they can't duplicate the problem.
I don't want to doubt anyone's experience but so many reports of this in the thread and nobody has videoed it yet?

First thing I'd do if it happened to me would be set up my phone camera to record anytime I replicated the conditions to see if I could capture it and show to dealer..
Old 09-27-20 | 06:26 PM
Ali y0
Pole Position

Originally Posted by np20412
I don't want to doubt anyone's experience but so many reports of this in the thread and nobody has videoed it yet?

First thing I'd do if it happened to me would be set up my phone camera to record anytime I replicated the conditions to see if I could capture it and show to dealer..
I haven't posted on here in 10+ years but I'm having the same issue lol

#sos
Old 09-28-20 | 03:34 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Did you have similar symptoms as described by others? A warm day, car parked outside then driven on expressway?

Because of COVID, I haven't been doing daily interstate drives since March, so it hasn't occurred.
Old 06-04-21 | 05:51 PM
xclass
4th Gear

Originally Posted by EpikSc400
Interesting, I experienced the same thing with my steering about a month ago on a trip. I had driven 5hrs one way and everything was good. Probably averaged around 80mph on the main highway. On the way back, all good until the last 30mins or so.
I noticed on straights the wheel would feel like it "locked" in position and when I would come to a curve in the road and begin to turn the wheel, it would feel stuck. Typically just a small amount of pressure from a couple of fingers would be enough to turn the wheel, but instead I found myself forcing the wheel out of the "locked" position causing the car to jerk as it released. When you normally turn the wheel the feeling is pretty fluid, but it felt like I would have to snap it out of position before it turned normal again.
This happened probably 4 or 5 times at the end of that trip. Hasn't happened since. Just completed an 11 hour drive last night and it didn't happen at all, close to the same speeds too. I guess we'll see on the return trip.

I have a thread about my paint peeling also, and the other day I noticed a gap in my rear bumper that is bigger than the other side. Just barely but noticeable to me, which I did not notice when viewing the car prepurchase.
All to say, I am definitely leaning more towards the fact that the car was in an accident, just not reported. It also always pulls to the right. Plan on getting an alignment next week and seeing if I can see if any work had been done anywhere while it is on the lift.
I have the IDENTICAL problem with my 2009 GS450h. I suffered this issue many times when I try to change the lane with 80-100 km.
During a fast acceleration situation, this can occurs. I experienced this. it cause a dangerous a dynamics situation. if this is not normal, I just want to know "what is problem...how to fix".
Old 06-06-21 | 08:16 AM
adict2rice
Rookie

so much for Lexus reliability. this will be my last Lexus. i will go with the Korean next time. since they are all the same now. producing disposible cars to make money in the service dept
Old 06-06-21 | 01:02 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by adict2rice
so much for Lexus reliability. this will be my last Lexus. i will go with the Korean next time. since they are all the same now. producing disposible cars to make money in the service dept
I would love to hear an update with your experience in the future. Not sure how many engine replacements or class action lawsuits Lexus has with cars catching on fire while driving, but I have not read one in the past year I've been active on the 4GS forum.
Old 06-06-21 | 03:34 PM
adict2rice
Rookie

Originally Posted by 00goobs
I would love to hear an update with your experience in the future. Not sure how many engine replacements or class action lawsuits Lexus has with cars catching on fire while driving, but I have not read one in the past year I've been active on the 4GS forum.
yeah yeah yeah, they costs $10k less and for the same headach i'm ok with that since both brands give you the same issues! sure the engine got on fire, but Huyndai replaces under warranty. my lexus now only at 45k has lifter noise like crazy but lexus do nothing about it!
Old 06-06-21 | 05:13 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by adict2rice
yeah yeah yeah, they costs $10k less and for the same headach i'm ok with that since both brands give you the same issues! sure the engine got on fire, but Huyndai replaces under warranty. my lexus now only at 45k has lifter noise like crazy but lexus do nothing about it!
This thread is about steering. Lifter noise is unrelated.
Old 06-06-21 | 05:15 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xclass
I have the IDENTICAL problem with my 2009 GS450h.
these generations have completely different steering systems. Are you the first owner of the Lexus? If not, then you can’t be sure if it has been in an accident , like hitting a kerb and damaging the steering.
Old 06-08-21 | 05:01 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ali y0
I haven't posted on here in 10+ years but I'm having the same issue lol

#sos
Same issue here. This really needs to be a recall by Lexus. If you haven't done so already, you have to post a complaint on NHTSA for the issue, which will help drive a recall.

You can start here ---> https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Old 06-08-21 | 06:18 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by marjenmill
Same issue here. This really needs to be a recall by Lexus. If you haven't done so already, you have to post a complaint on NHTSA for the issue, which will help drive a recall.

You can start here ---> https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Have you had this issue since last year?
Has it been fixed?
Old 06-08-21 | 11:30 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 00goobs
Have you had this issue since last year?
Has it been fixed?
I've had this issue for 2+ years. Unfortunately the dealer finds it too hard to replicate so it is still an issue. Over the last year, I've hardly been on the highway due to covid, but that is going to change soon.
And I'm the original owner, so I know it isn't due to an accident

Quick Reply: steering issue