GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-21, 04:08 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by marjenmill
I've had this issue for 2+ years. Unfortunately the dealer finds it too hard to replicate so it is still an issue. Over the last year, I've hardly been on the highway due to covid, but that is going to change soon.
And I'm the original owner, so I know it isn't due to an accident
That is kinda scary. We know it has a computer and that it is electric assist. You'd know if your system isn't charging or a battery issue.

You haven't mentioned any trouble codes that the dealer may have encountered...

Does your GS have the variable gear ratio steering?
Old 06-09-21, 10:22 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 166 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 00goobs
That is kinda scary. We know it has a computer and that it is electric assist. You'd know if your system isn't charging or a battery issue.

You haven't mentioned any trouble codes that the dealer may have encountered...

Does your GS have the variable gear ratio steering?
No trouble codes, battery (replaced) is only a year old. My car has VDIM with VSC (Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Mgmt with Vehicle Stability Control). No mention of variable gear ratio steering, but the steering does stiffen somewhat when in Sport mode (which I don't like). RWD, not AWD.
Old 06-09-21, 12:00 PM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

Your steering is directly connected. The EPS provides steering assist only via a motor.

if the wheel is not turning its mechanical.

if steering effort is different between turning left or right you can do a zero point calibration.
Old 06-09-21, 01:55 PM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 703
Your steering is directly connected. The EPS provides steering assist only via a motor.

if the wheel is not turning its mechanical.

if steering effort is different between turning left or right you can do a zero point calibration.
Not sure how that helps anyone. The issue of the steering temporarily locking only happens at hwy speeds and either when the weather is warm or the car has been sitting outside in the sun most of the day. At lower speeds, around town, driving to the grocery store, etc. it never occurs.
Old 06-23-21, 10:51 PM
lexasMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by odaymax66
Hi - curious if you ever found a solution. i have the IDENTICAL problem with my 2014 GS350. The local Lexus dealer is going to take a second look to see if they can resolve it. Mine was CPO as well.
did they end up fixing it??
Old 06-23-21, 11:05 PM
lexasMike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by odaymax66
Sounds very familiar! It seems like there are a number of us dealing with this issue with our GS 350's. I'm still trying to find a solution and may end up going the lemon law route - not sure that there's any other option for me. The dealer can't duplicate the problem and Lexus is not offering any assistance.
did you end up ever figuring out how to fix it??
Old 06-23-21, 11:12 PM
lexasMike
Driver School Candidate

I've had this issue for 2+ years. Unfortunately the dealer finds it too hard to replicate so it is still an issue. Over the last year, I've hardly been on the highway due to covid, but that is going to change soon.
And I'm the original owner, so I know it isn't due to an accident
I didn’t mean to spam this chat with response 66 but did you end up getting it fixed. I just got this car and I’m having this issue also and nobody seems to have fixed it from all these threads I’ve read
Old 06-25-21, 03:17 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexasMike
I didn’t mean to spam this chat with response 66 but did you end up getting it fixed. I just got this car and I’m having this issue also and nobody seems to have fixed it from all these threads I’ve read
No issuesssssssss

Last edited by marjenmill; 03-18-24 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-25-21, 04:18 AM
Lead Lap

Not sure how that helps anyone. The issue of the steering temporarily locking only happens at hwy speeds and either when the weather is warm or the car has been sitting outside in the sun most of the day. At lower speeds, around town, driving to the grocery store, etc. it never occurs.
The torque sensor takes input from ABS/Trac ECU and engine ECU. So the torque assist changes with speed. There is no ability for the car to lock the steering wheel when it is running. It is physically connected to the wheels. Only the amount of torque assist by the EPS motor.

Old 06-25-21, 06:22 PM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 703
The torque sensor takes input from ABS/Trac ECU and engine ECU. So the torque assist changes with speed. There is no ability for the car to lock the steering wheel when it is running. It is physically connected to the wheels. Only the amount of torque assist by the EPS motor.
Well airbags weren't supposed to explode with shrapnel either, but they did with Takada. There definitely is something causing a dangerous steering issue on some cars.

Last edited by marjenmill; 03-18-24 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-25-21, 07:29 PM
Lead Lap

Well airbags weren't supposed to explode with shrapnel either, but they did with Takada. There definitely is something causing a dangerous steering issue on my car and others.
I’m not debating that there is something wrong with your steering. I’m saying it’s the EPS.
Old 06-26-21, 03:18 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 703
I’m not debating that there is something wrong with your steering. I’m saying it’s the EPS.
Most likely it is something in that system, but what part(s) and how would one know what to fix or get a mechanic to diagnose it?
Old 06-26-21, 03:13 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

I have seen this issue with a few different Lexus Models including the GS. Every one that had it fixed said it was the steering gear rack.
Old 06-26-21, 03:22 PM
Lead Lap

Yes unless you have Techstream plugged in and graphing the steering input vs actual steering angle you won’t find the root problem.

Just replace the EPS or the EPS motor.
Old 12-22-21, 04:15 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I am having a similar issue at highway speeds going from straight and trying to turn right. Happens only occasionally and only for a moment.

I will he hooking up techstream and logging steering angle, torque input, and EPS sensor data so that I can look for any anomaly. Will take a video as well.

Quick Reply: steering issue