GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Warranty & Stereo Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-18, 12:30 PM
djlehman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warranty & Stereo Upgrade Question

I would like to do a MODEST upgrade to the stereo. I just want to swap out the factory speakers with same sized (including impedance) aftermarket speakers so that no alteration to the vehicle is needed. The only other thing I'd like to do is to add a powered subwoofer in the trunk. This would require running power directly from the battery to the trunk where the self contained subwoofer box with amplifier would be connected. The audio signal would be tapped from the existing rear deck mounted subwoofer. No modification to the car's structure or mounting of any electronics or hardware would be needed. This entire job would be done by a ASE Certified technician.

I still haven't received any paperwork pertaining to the warranty from the dealership since I just brought the car home, but am expecting to receive it soon. Does anyone KNOW whether or not any of the above mentioned alterations to the vehicle could void the factory / L-Certified warranty? I'm very nervous about doing anything that could potentially void the warranty which is one of the main reasons I went with Lexus in the first place. I would appreciate if anyone could point me specifically to any text or language in the Warranty Specs that would indicate that alterations such as the one that I have described above would void the warranty, or language that specifically permits it.

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-12-18, 02:13 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by djlehman
I would like to do a MODEST upgrade to the stereo. I just want to swap out the factory speakers with same sized (including impedance) aftermarket speakers so that no alteration to the vehicle is needed. The only other thing I'd like to do is to add a powered subwoofer in the trunk. This would require running power directly from the battery to the trunk where the self contained subwoofer box with amplifier would be connected. The audio signal would be tapped from the existing rear deck mounted subwoofer. No modification to the car's structure or mounting of any electronics or hardware would be needed. This entire job would be done by a ASE Certified technician.

I still haven't received any paperwork pertaining to the warranty from the dealership since I just brought the car home, but am expecting to receive it soon. Does anyone KNOW whether or not any of the above mentioned alterations to the vehicle could void the factory / L-Certified warranty? I'm very nervous about doing anything that could potentially void the warranty which is one of the main reasons I went with Lexus in the first place. I would appreciate if anyone could point me specifically to any text or language in the Warranty Specs that would indicate that alterations such as the one that I have described above would void the warranty, or language that specifically permits it.

Thank you in advance!
If anything it'll just affect warranty in regards to audio/entertainment system. It would be an easy out for them to say "someone else worked on this portion of the vehicle and we don't know what they may have done, so your malfunctioning infotainment won't be covered under warranty." They might also nix any battery coverage given you will be putting extra load on the battery.

Beyond that I don't think you should have an issue unless your installers does something funky that gives your car an electrical bug, though the audio system is pretty self contained so even if that happened at most you'd have a malfunctioning audio system.

Should not at all affect any mechanical portions of the warranty coverage, but I don't have any specifics to help you.

You can try posting this in the General Lexus forum under audio and maybe the folks there have some first hand experience?
Old 04-12-18, 02:48 PM
djlehman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you. I will check the general Lexus forum under audio. Great suggestion

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I’m not really worried about changing the speakers with regards to the warranty. My real worry is in running power directly from the battery all the way to the trunk for the sub woofer and how that might affect any warranty on electrical components of the car. With these cars so heavily reliant on electronic technology, (nav, computers, seats, you name it) I worry that if anything electrical work to malfunction in the car that they may point to the effect of the amplifier drawing power off the battery having as a potential cause for the malfunction.