GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: In the event that Lexus gets rid of the GS...After your current GS, would you:
Get the newly redesigned ES350/300h (FWD or AWD that is front-biased)
10.92%
Spend quite a bit more for the LS and move up in size
22.41%
Get something else in the Lexus range
28.16%
Move on to a German alternative sedan (5-series, E-class, or A6/A7)
26.44%
Move on to a Korean alternative sedan (G80 or Stinger)
16.09%
Move on to an American alternative sedan (CTS)
4.60%
Move on to a Swedish alternative sedan (S90)
1.72%
Move on to a Japanese alternative sedan (Q70 or RL)
10.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

What if the GS dies?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 08:22 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
Get this guys. My RX has the same if not better MPG than my GS. Both are neck'n neck 22.9MPG +/-0.2
I can see why people would opt for the SUV for practicality.
Not even close to the same cars. If I were to drive an RX like the GS, I would need it rolled back over and out of the ditch. Plus, the RX has horrible torque steer under worst driving conditions.
Old 04-27-18, 08:29 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Not even close to the same cars. If I were to drive an RX like the GS, I would need it rolled back over and out of the ditch. Plus, the RX has horrible torque steer under worst driving conditions.
I wasn't comparing the drive or the two cars...Who would? All I'm saying is, SUV have improved on MPG and that's why for non-enthusiasts, it's more practical, cost less, and the same MPG.
Old 04-27-18, 08:30 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
True, but for a lot of America the people buying the GS are not enthusiasts. They purchased the GS because it was bigger than an IS but less expensive than an LS. These are older people, moms, wives, daily commuters, etc. For a lot of these people who don't value the driving experience as much, they may opt for the added practicality/usability of the RX for their next purchase.

I'm certain Lexus has the data on what current GS owners are replacing their GS with when staying in brand.
Old 04-27-18, 08:38 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

If Lexus decides they want to do away with the GS model. I will most likely buy the new 8 series Gran Coupé. Hopefully my income will have doubled by then, so that reliability for my daily driver will no longer be a factor in my daily driver vehicle buying decision.

Old 04-27-18, 09:05 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

If Lexus decides they want to do away with the GS model. I will most likely buy the new 8 series Gran Coupé. Hopefully my income will have doubled by then, so that reliability for my daily driver will no longer be a factor in my daily driver vehicle buying decision.

Yeah the new 8 series gran coupe does look very promising. I am already in love with the 6 gran coupe and can only imagine this new flagship will be even better.
Old 04-27-18, 09:48 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Get this guys. My RX has the same if not better MPG than my GS. Both are neck'n neck 22.9MPG +/-0.2
I can see why people would opt for the SUV for practicality.
That's actually kinda funny. On the RX forum everyone complains about the RX getting ~19mpg and on here everything possible to inch out power and lower the mileage! Your RX mileage is on par with mine, but I've been getting ~24.5 average town/highway combined. I drive the RX like a granny and the GS...well...let's just say I enjoy the drive. Not racing constantly, but it goes when I tell it to. haven't taken the GS on a long trip yet, but don't see the mileage being all that bad when I do.

The RX isn't all that much worse than any other SUV for mileage for its size. It's really not fuel that's driving SUV sales as far as I can tell. Not in the mid and large category anyway. People are sick of minivans and SUVs fit soccer mom activities better than a sedan. Camry and Accord sales are far from suffering, but as mentioned, there's just not a ton of competition for them. Price wise, Hyundai and Kia have better priced cars, but dealer service and depreciation is atrocious. As has been mentioned, GM, Ford and Chrysler haven't been able to build a solid sedan in decades. Their SUVs are questionable too, so the consumer has been buying what's available. Hatchbacks and wagons haven't ever done well in the US, but amazingly sell like hot cakes with added ground clearance and crappier handling!

Oh, one more thing! I haven't taken the poll, because none of the options sound good. If I can't drive something fun, I'll likely go with a big truck and just annoy my Prius loving brethren!

Last edited by rj4510; 04-27-18 at 09:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
psinsyd (04-27-18)
Old 04-27-18, 09:57 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
That's actually kinda funny. On the RX forum everyone complains about the RX getting ~19mpg and on here everything possible to inch out power and lower the mileage! Your RX mileage is on par with mine, but I've been getting ~24.5 average town/highway combined. I drive the RX like a granny and the GS...well...let's just say I enjoy the drive. Not racing constantly, but it goes when I tell it to. haven't taken the GS on a long trip yet, but don't see the mileage being all that bad when I do.

The RX isn't all that much worse than any other SUV for mileage for its size. It's really not fuel that's driving SUV sales as far as I can tell. Not in the mid and large category anyway. People are sick of minivans and SUVs fit soccer mom activities better than a sedan. Camry and Accord sales are far from suffering, but as mentioned, there's just not a ton of competition for them. Price wise, Hyundai and Kia have better priced cars, but dealer service and depreciation is atrocious. As has been mentioned, GM, Ford and Chrysler haven't been able to build a solid sedan in decades. Their SUVs are questionable too, so the consumer has been buying what's available. Hatchbacks and wagons haven't ever done well in the US, but amazingly sell like hot cakes with added ground clearance and crappier handling!

Oh, one more thing! I haven't taken the poll, because none of the options sound good. If I can't drive something fun, I'll likely go with a big truck and just annoy my Prius loving brethren!

well said!
Old 04-27-18, 10:13 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
Their SUVs are questionable too, so the consumer has been buying what's available.
I completely agree with this as well WITH the exception of the Tahoe and Suburban. Someone at QC/QA for those two models needs to talk to the rest of GM as there is some special sauce in the Tahoe/Suburban line....
Old 04-27-18, 10:18 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
I completely agree with this as well WITH the exception of the Tahoe and Suburban. Someone at QC/QA for those two models needs to talk to the rest of GM as there is some special sauce in the Tahoe/Suburban line....
yup, both based on their bullet proof truck lines. As soon as it doesn't involve a truck they fall flat on their faces.
Old 04-27-18, 11:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,500 Posts

Some Audi drivers don't appear to be the smartest people!

Old 04-27-18, 12:28 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

^ Shyyttt that'll fit. Just flip the rear seats down and grab some butter lol
Old 04-27-18, 01:17 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts

Lol. I can't count all the times that I have to return something from the hardware store because I couldn't get it into the sedan. The 4th gen GS trunk opening is respectable. When I had the 3rd gen((2011) GS, the opening was embarrassing and couldn't fit a lot of things. Doesn't help one bit with luxury sedan and there unfoldable backseats!
With the RX, it's much better.
Old 04-27-18, 01:19 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Lol. I can't count all the times that I have to return something from the hardware store because I couldn't get it into the sedan. The 4th gen GS trunk opening is respectable. When I had the 3rd gen((2011) GS, the opening was embarrassing and couldn't fit a lot of things. Doesn't help one bit with luxury sedan and there unfoldable backseats!
With the RX, it's much better.
I call the wife and she brings the 4Runner
Old 04-27-18, 01:43 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Some Audi drivers don't appear to be the smartest people!

At least they are staying healthy lol.
Old 04-27-18, 01:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,500 Posts

I wouldn't mind trying an all electric vehicle, whether it be a Tesla or something else as long as it is well built with quality and has the latest technology. We all know that 'all electric' vehicles is the coming thing...much like cell phones and cell towers of the late 1990s are now as common as the oxygen we breathe. I feel sure we'll see charging stations and charge-as-you-drive 'green' lanes on the highways in the not-too-distant future. Plus, I kinda like the idea of getting to 60 mph in less than 4 seconds...

Last edited by bclexus; 04-27-18 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: What if the GS dies?