GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: In the event that Lexus gets rid of the GS...After your current GS, would you:
Get the newly redesigned ES350/300h (FWD or AWD that is front-biased)
10.92%
Spend quite a bit more for the LS and move up in size
22.41%
Get something else in the Lexus range
28.16%
Move on to a German alternative sedan (5-series, E-class, or A6/A7)
26.44%
Move on to a Korean alternative sedan (G80 or Stinger)
16.09%
Move on to an American alternative sedan (CTS)
4.60%
Move on to a Swedish alternative sedan (S90)
1.72%
Move on to a Japanese alternative sedan (Q70 or RL)
10.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

What if the GS dies?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 02:37 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 244 Likes on 145 Posts

lexus europe announced today the discontinuation of the GS... i hope there’s still a 5GS for the US
Old 05-04-18, 04:12 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,658 Posts

A guy well known to have inside Lexus info on another site confirmed today that the GS is officially dead. RIP =( wouldve been nice to see a new GS
Old 05-04-18, 04:29 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
A guy well known to have inside Lexus info on another site confirmed today that the GS is officially dead. RIP =( wouldve been nice to see a new GS
what other site is there? I only ask cause I’m trying to find some gsf rims. I did go in this past week to check on my order and they were pretty confident the gs is dead but said they’ll fly off the preowned lots and be missed like the sc and ct. the new es is interesting they were spied being tested with the mid sized but then one of the regional Lexus reps said it competes against entry 3 series class so curious if they’re wanting to get rid of the is too. I understand the value of a midsize for a entry price point but still. I’m in it for the premium quality not that entry is quality which I feel the es has. Maybe Lexus IS following the Ford game plan
Old 05-04-18, 04:50 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I know its closer to the IS, but I've been seriously considering the Alfa Gulia
Old 05-08-18, 09:15 AM
Sig1855
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Went into my local dealership over the weekend. Sales manager told me the latest they've heard is there will be a limited number of 2019 GS carried over with same body style, and then they will make a decision on the future based on its sales against new ES. Didn't make much sense to me. I don't know what I'm going to do. My lease is almost up, I can't get into a 2018 GS for close to what I'm paying now, and I'm over on mileage with a buyback way over the car's value....
Old 05-08-18, 10:20 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Who is this guy? I doubt they have even made the final decision to keep or kill the GS in the US yet. There are way too many negatives that will result from killing the GS then keeping it, even if sales of it are not that great. Lexus needs a competitor in this very important segment whether it is a hit or miss, they can't just give up. If they are so worried about sales why have they not killed the LS, RC, LC, LX, etc? Why is the GS the only one getting the boot. They might as well just sell ES's and RX's or vehicles based on them if all they care about is big sales. How about they learn from the mistakes they made with the GS, especially with how it was priced and how it prices against a ES and just make a better GS without the huge price increase over a ES which will pretty much guarantee success.
Old 05-09-18, 04:38 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

all they need to do is drop in the TTV6 into the new gen GS350/400 to give it 360-400 hp to compete with the 540i, E43, & S6... they already have a platform and i’m sure they can nail a design and a TTV8 for the GSF and the sales would definitely benefit because there would be a complete difference between the ES & GS between power and pricing
Old 05-09-18, 04:47 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
all they need to do is drop in the TTV6 into the new gen GS350/400 to give it 360-400 hp to compete with the 540i, E43, & S6... they already have a platform and i’m sure they can nail a design and a TTV8 for the GSF and the sales would definitely benefit because there would be a complete difference between the ES & GS between power and pricing
that’s exactly what Lexus was thinking 3 years back with the GS-F. Got them NO WHERE. Lexus ended up discounting GSFs $15k-$20k to move inventory.

People just can’t afford the GS and if they can, they stretch for a 5-Series.

I’m talking at new car prices, not used.
Old 05-09-18, 05:23 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by joedaddy1

that’s exactly what Lexus was thinking 3 years back with the GS-F. Got them NO WHERE. Lexus ended up discounting GSFs $15k-$20k to move inventory.

People just can’t afford the GS and if they can, they stretch for a 5-Series.

I’m talking at new car prices, not used.
people don’t buy the GSF because it has 467 hp, and is 88 thousand dollars when you can get 600+ in the rest of the competition, if they had that kind of power when they released the GSF it would have sold much better than it does now
Old 05-09-18, 05:35 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r

people don’t buy the GSF because it has 467 hp, and is 88 thousand dollars when you can get 600+ in the rest of the competition, if they had that kind of power when they released the GSF it would have sold much better than it does now
who are GSFs competitors? M5/S6/E63 are outta it’s league... they are close or over $100k no one buys GSFs for $88k. They go for $75k or less. Go check out GSF forum.

Give Lexus $100k and show them enough buyers. They’ll have no problem building a 600hp car. Lol
Old 05-09-18, 06:43 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

If I can afford to get a GS-F and if it's even available 3 years from now, I'll get one to replace my current 18 GS350. Probably buying out my RC-F at the end of the lease ('cause I really like it) and if I can't get the GS-F then, maybe buy out my GS350 too. Another choice would be a GX or something but I think that is also on its way out, don't want an RX and can't afford the LX so I may switch brands then because I do not like the LS (too expensive anyway for my taste) and no way in hell I'm going to the ES, don't like its looks, don't like the FWD, don't like the hp, and on and on so I might go with an Audi or maybe even get a nice pickup truck like a Raptor
Old 05-10-18, 06:31 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 405 Likes on 286 Posts

Frankly, I'm not wed to the GS line nor to Lexus. I was really after an Infiniti before the Lexus fell in my lap. I could be supremely happy with an Infiniti Q50 AWD but I never found one had the features I wanted that wasn't miled out.

In the grand scheme of things, it isn't the end of the world, just the end of an era. Hundreds of models come and go through the years. Whole manufacturers have disappeared since the invention of the automobile. Pontiac, Oldmobile, Mercury to name a few long time early innovators are no longer with us.
Old 05-10-18, 07:47 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

My beef with the possibility of the GS going away is it's about the only vehicle remaining with any fun factor that also ticks the reliability checkbox. The Q50 was DEFINITELY the car I was interested in. I wanted one bad. Then I did my research and discovered Infiniti has royally screwed the pooch on all their newer cars. CVT and Electronics are a total mess. Nothing but complaints. They just couldn't leave well enough alone and it appears Lexus may go the same way. I can and do some of my own repairs, but I can't do it full time and if a vehicle twitches once, my wife will forgive it. Twice and she loses all confidence in it, so it costs me a fortune to buy anything that doesn't tick the reliability checkbox. We have definitely had our share of getting stuck on the roadside. The last time it happened we got stuck in hell hole Nevada with no cell service and 120 degree temps. It took 6 hours to get AAA out to us, between the inability to contact them and them finally arriving. You might say, she's a bit sensitive to mechanical schmuckery, which seriously lowers my tolerance for them too.

I'd much rather have yesterday year technology of the Lexus and get home than a cutting edge electronic mess with an unproven platform that'll leave us for dead on the side of the road. I haven't met a domestic car that hasn't left me on the side of the road and the example above was the worst case. Our 99 2GS died only once in 13 years. I usually get about 13 days from other brands before something blows up. My 07 BMW Z4 was a definite exception. That thing was bulletproof. I thought Infiniti could have delivered too, but the lots around me are littered with them. I could have gotten two Q50s for one GS 350. We do complain about resale value dropping on the GS, but it's all a matter of perspective. Perceived reliability definitely drives the market too. Especially as things age.
Old 05-10-18, 08:16 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 419 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Frankly, I'm not wed to the GS line nor to Lexus. I was really after an Infiniti before the Lexus fell in my lap. I could be supremely happy with an Infiniti Q50 AWD but I never found one had the features I wanted that wasn't miled out.

In the grand scheme of things, it isn't the end of the world, just the end of an era. Hundreds of models come and go through the years. Whole manufacturers have disappeared since the invention of the automobile. Pontiac, Oldmobile, Mercury to name a few long time early innovators are no longer with us.
Did you enjoy the Q50 driving experience? I've been given a couple as a loaner for my QX but everytime I drive it I just feel so blah. To me it's quite a disconnected feeling when driving it.
Old 05-10-18, 08:18 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Did you enjoy the Q50 driving experience? I've been given a couple as a loaner for my QX but everytime I drive it I just feel so blah. To me it's quite a disconnected feeling when driving it.
Not directed at me, but the Q50 isn't even close to it's older brother, the G37. I was basing my desire for the car based on what I thought was an improved G. Q in Infiniti stands for Questionable any more. Sad

Quick Reply: What if the GS dies?