GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: In the event that Lexus gets rid of the GS...After your current GS, would you:
Get the newly redesigned ES350/300h (FWD or AWD that is front-biased)
10.92%
Spend quite a bit more for the LS and move up in size
22.41%
Get something else in the Lexus range
28.16%
Move on to a German alternative sedan (5-series, E-class, or A6/A7)
26.44%
Move on to a Korean alternative sedan (G80 or Stinger)
16.09%
Move on to an American alternative sedan (CTS)
4.60%
Move on to a Swedish alternative sedan (S90)
1.72%
Move on to a Japanese alternative sedan (Q70 or RL)
10.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

What if the GS dies?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 09:05 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
Not directed at me, but the Q50 isn't even close to it's older brother, the G37. I was basing my desire for the car based on what I thought was an improved G. Q in Infiniti stands for Questionable any more. Sad
I'm thankful my QX didn't undergo any changes aside from naming. It's still the same second gen FX refreshed with a slightly larger 3.7L engine. It's super unfortunate they stopped making the V8, but i still like my QX70 all the same.
Old 05-10-18, 09:15 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
I'm thankful my QX didn't undergo any changes aside from naming. It's still the same second gen FX refreshed with a slightly larger 3.7L engine. It's super unfortunate they stopped making the V8, but i still like my QX70 all the same.
QX70 is a different animal. They just introduced a new model, so we'll see how it does. Definitely not a replacement for the GS though! LOL!
Old 05-10-18, 10:03 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Did you enjoy the Q50 driving experience? I've been given a couple as a loaner for my QX but everytime I drive it I just feel so blah. To me it's quite a disconnected feeling when driving it.
Granted I only test drove about a dozen but I did like the power and the sure footed feeling they present. A buddy has a G37x that he loves. I looked at those extensively as well but actually went more for the Q50 since they were falling in price. The biggest problem is all of them come from the NY/NJ area and they look like it underneath! My current GS was from NJ and it pretty salty underneath. I've been working on the pieces as I can get to them. Thankfully a lot of it is aluminum for the suspension.

Last edited by Knucklebus; 05-10-18 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-10-18, 10:40 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

We don't have the salt issue out here in the desert, which is super. Cars look absolutely awesome till they don't! With all plastic parts, it's like a timer goes off. Car looks awesome, but door handles come off in your hand, rubber turns to dust. Engines start to leak like crazy! Both my previous GS and GX did this simultaneously. Both looked great till the end. The other issue with desert cars are, once they spend a few years in the heat, if you move to say a mountain state where things get cold. Things like the dash will split the first year! Happens the other way too, so best to keep the car where it spent its life the first few years, unless climate is truly mild. Still on topic. We're talking about GS's dying. LOL!
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (05-10-18)
Old 05-10-18, 02:26 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Granted I only test drove about a dozen but I did like the power and the sure footed feeling they present. A buddy has a G37x that he loves. I looked at those extensively as well but actually went more for the Q50 since they were falling in price. The biggest problem is all of them come from the NY/NJ area and they look like it underneath! My current GS was from NJ and it pretty salty underneath. I've been working on the pieces as I can get to them. Thankfully a lot of it is aluminum for the suspension.
I'm in NJ. Hate the winter season. So much salt!! Which is why I still intend to use Chassis Saver under the carriage.

Old 01-17-19, 12:31 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Reviving an old thread...I’m becoming less hopeful that Lexus will release a new generation of GS. Even if they do, it probably won’t have anything exciting as I feel like Lexus is getting kind of stale in the engine performance and technology department.

Since my lease ends around the end of this year, I’m starting to look at my next car. Was very impressed by my cousin’s new BMW M550i...it has the performance, luxury, and technology. I’m expecting BMW to also refresh the 4-series sometime this year, so the M440i might be a nice option too. Even though reliability will probably be an issue, I probably won’t have it long enough to experience those issues outside of warranty.

Last edited by dchar; 01-17-19 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-17-19, 02:41 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

I'd probably go back to an Australian built muscle wagon again.
Old 01-17-19, 08:57 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

It's no question its going to die and 2019 may be the last GS as we know it. I follow Lexus on Instagram and they virtually never post or make any remarks about the GS model despite being a current model in their lineup. I have even reached out to Lexus USA several times and of course they never respond but if you look at their page and scroll you will be hard pressed to even find a GS on their Instagram page. In the end we obviously will never know officially until they say something but the fact that even on their commercials, dealers and social media the GS is never promoted nor talked about is all you need to know about its fate. Hell even in the recent December to Remember commercials they showed and highlighted their entire lineup of vehicles except one car...you guessed it.
Old 01-17-19, 11:00 AM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Or maybe not...

​https://carbuzz.com/news/lexus-tells-us-it-will-keep-the-gs-and-gs-f

Old 01-17-19, 11:20 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by swat1727
Or maybe not...

​https://carbuzz.com/news/lexus-tells-us-it-will-keep-the-gs-and-gs-f
Sounds like a corporate way of saying 'I'm not allowed to say it's dead yet'
Old 01-17-19, 11:22 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts
Smile

Wow! Good eye there. This says a lot, Lexus isn’t giving up on performance vehicles.
Old 01-17-19, 11:31 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Then...let’s hope Lexus does something exciting with the new GS (maybe a 4-door coupe, more performance oriented hybrid or electric power train, improve infotainment and tech). There’s a reason why the GS sales have slowed so much as mentioned in the article. Lexus has a lot of catching up to do.
Old 01-19-19, 07:03 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Has anyone looked at or considered Genesis G80?
Old 01-19-19, 08:47 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

The G80 is very nice but not very sporty. It’s about the same size as the GS but weighs about 600 lbs more. They’re beautiful though.
Old 01-19-19, 09:20 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

That CarBuzz link is worthless and still doesn't tell us anything. That is classic corporate talk. If I had to wager on which of the models (between IS and GS) and most likely to get the ax, I'll place my bet on the GS. Car is dead in my opinion as the sales are very very low and ES has more or less killed it at this point and if they release an AWD version of the new ES the GS will have its last nail in the coffin. Lexus is moving towards crossovers, rather than spending its resources on sedans. If I had cool $65k-$85K+ burning my pocket today, the GS or GS-F would be in the bottom of my list unfortunately. It simply can't compete with the German luxury sedans in technology and interior alone today hell even the new Genesis G80 at a fraction of the price is very nice option despite not a direct competitor on paper. As nice as the GS may be to us as owners,it's living in its own island at this point and only Lexus GS enthusiasts will enjoy these cars but let's face it its very outdated in today's standards even the new 2016+ models. If the GS goes away, let's hope its a nice send off and I will pour one for the homie tonight.

Only way GS survives if it comes back with an entire new concept that looks nothing like any of the generation interiors of Lexus today and not a traditional sports sedan but more of a hot hatchback and even then it may be stretch. Unfortunately the mid-size sports sedan market is owned and dominated by the German rivals and now upcoming Genesis line which is very appealing at the price range and don't see how Lexus can survive this fierce competition at this point. My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: What if the GS dies?