GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: In the event that Lexus gets rid of the GS...After your current GS, would you:
Get the newly redesigned ES350/300h (FWD or AWD that is front-biased)
10.92%
Spend quite a bit more for the LS and move up in size
22.41%
Get something else in the Lexus range
28.16%
Move on to a German alternative sedan (5-series, E-class, or A6/A7)
26.44%
Move on to a Korean alternative sedan (G80 or Stinger)
16.09%
Move on to an American alternative sedan (CTS)
4.60%
Move on to a Swedish alternative sedan (S90)
1.72%
Move on to a Japanese alternative sedan (Q70 or RL)
10.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

What if the GS dies?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 06:32 PM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Already looking at the RCF since the GS looks to have finally died. Other than the RCF I have no interest in Lexus anymore. The GS was my favorite
Old 01-29-19, 12:04 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by GsLex02
Already looking at the RCF since the GS looks to have finally died. Other than the RCF I have no interest in Lexus anymore. The GS was my favorite
It was recently written in a magazine that the same team who worked on the new Supra is also working on the next-gen GS F, so sit tight.
Old 01-29-19, 07:38 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
It was recently written in a magazine that the same team who worked on the new Supra is also working on the next-gen GS F, so sit tight.
Source? Link? Details?
Old 01-29-19, 07:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

This was actually first reported by Car and Driver back in October 2017. Here's a link and excerpt:

Gazoo Racing will also have a relationship with Lexus’s F performance division going forward. Tomayama said that GR is already involved with developing a new Lexus GS F. What’s unclear is whether he’s referring to an F variant of a next-generation GS or merely an updated version of the current GS F. Considering recent rumors that the GS will not live on to see another generation, we tend to lean toward the latter.

As with the Supra, Tomayama explained, rear-end grip is an important aspect of the new GS F’s dynamics. He said that the new car needs to be lighter to achieve the playful feel GR is aiming for. We measured the current GS F at a relatively svelte 4128 pounds (that’s 261 pounds lighter than the last Audi S6 we tested), so we’re curious to see how Lexus might achieve this goal.
Source
Old 01-29-19, 08:14 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
This was actually first reported by Car and Driver back in October 2017. Here's a link and excerpt:

Source
2017? That may as well be 1997. That is old news and no relevant anymore. Bottom line until we hear something official from Lexus mouth, this car is dead as a door ****.
Old 01-29-19, 12:21 PM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Im a big fan of the GS but not as much the GSF. I like the RCF better being a coupe for that performance
Old 01-29-19, 01:43 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Im a big fan of the GS but not as much the GSF. I like the RCF better being a coupe for that performance
Right, but the GS F is a GS first and foremost, so it would be unlikely for us to see a new 5th generation GS F and no 5th generation GS. Confirmation of a GS F would essentially double as confirmation of a new GS as well. 2 birds, 1 stone. We'll have to wait and see until we start seeing test mules or an announcement that comes straight from Lexus, but I think it's likely we will see one.
Old 01-29-19, 03:30 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Im a big fan of the GS but not as much the GSF.
Why is that? Just curious.
Old 01-29-19, 03:59 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Why is that? Just curious.
I would also like to know. In my personal opinion the GSF looks better than the RCF in terms of both the interior and exterior (granted that this is subjective). Please do let us know though
Old 06-24-20, 09:36 AM
lchang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that we know the GS is for sure dead...
  • "Spend quite a bit more for the LS and move up in size". Isn't it weird that the interior passenger volume of the LS is listed at 99.4. And our GSs have 99? The legroom total (front and rear) are about an inch apart.
  • People who chose "Get something else in the Lexus range"... IS? Or an SUV?
  • Having already owned the MB E550, I loved that engine, but I think I'm avoiding German because of quality/reliability issues.
  • The upcoming Genesis G80 looks interesting--but perhaps not sporty enough handling-wise? Build quality/reliability is...very good?
  • The upcoming 2021 Acura TLX looks interesting--has available AWD (good enough?). But still too small (on the inside. Its exterior dimensions--eg wheelbase--look to be bigger than our GSs?)
Sigh....Where to go from here....??
Old 06-24-20, 10:52 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by lchang
  • "Spend quite a bit more for the LS and move up in size". Isn't it weird that the interior passenger volume of the LS is listed at 99.4. And our GSs have 99? The legroom total (front and rear) are about an inch apart.
  • Having already owned the MB E550, I loved that engine, but I think I'm avoiding German because of quality/reliability issues.
  • The upcoming Genesis G80 looks interesting--but perhaps not sporty enough handling-wise? Build quality/reliability is...very good?
  • The upcoming 2021 Acura TLX looks interesting--has available AWD (good enough?). But still too small (on the inside. Its exterior dimensions--eg wheelbase--look to be bigger than our GSs?)
I'm not that big of a person so I don't think I could move up to the ls...seems like there's too much space compared to the gs. I'm in the same boat and ill probably end up buying out mine and keep it till fuel cell cars have made it
the new Mirai would be great except I don't live in cali where the only fuel stations exist
Old 06-24-20, 10:55 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

The GS 350 was my first daily driver car in over a decade. I have had trucks (real trucks, not lifted car platforms with FWD) since my last car, the 2004 Miataspeed Miata. I'd probably go back to a truck, a GMC or Chevy LSx-powered something I could mod cheaply and spend a lot less money on though truck prices have shot through the roof.
Old 06-24-20, 10:56 AM
lchang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
I'm not that big of a person so I don't think I could move up to the ls...seems like there's too much space compared to the gs. I'm in the same boat and ill probably end up buying out mine and keep it till fuel cell cars have made it
the new Mirai would be great except I don't live in cali where the only fuel stations exist
Yeah, I guess Tesla (3 or S?) should be an option in the poll, too... (Again, confused on these official "passenger volume" numbers. S is only 94 cu ft, where 3 is 97. But everyone says the S is bigger and roomier. I don't get it.)
Old 06-24-20, 11:13 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

At least the OP is around after this got resurrected. The poll is missing the option of "Get a '20 to have the last year made" option.
Old 06-24-20, 12:03 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by lchang
If I were to stay in the Lexus lineup for a sedan, it would have to be for an LS - the ES and IS are feeling like a step down in terms of overall feel and build quality. The issue would be two-fold moving to an LS: it won't handle like a GS and since its a more expensive car new or used. GS buyers in the CPO market are still getting great deals in the $25-$35k for low mileage, 3yr old CPO well optioned GS's.

Who knows, maybe Lexus will knock our socks off with a great mid sized sedan entry into the EV or hydrogen fuel cell space in the next few years...
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (06-24-20)

Quick Reply: What if the GS dies?