GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rust on CPO 2014 GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-18, 05:13 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I seriously doubt that is the case with your dealership.
I mean, Im sure a person who hasn't spoken to the dealer knows more than someone who has.
Old 04-29-18, 05:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by RXGS
My dealer has always said their CPO vehicles must have a clean carfax and no bodywork, guess different standards for different dealers unfortunately.
I seriously doubt that is the case with your dealership.
Originally Posted by RXGS
I mean, Im sure a person who hasn't spoken to the dealer knows more than someone who has.
Let me put it this way - in a nice, but easy to understand way. They lied to you...and you believed them!

Why would one Lexus dealership use a much higher CPO standard than is required by their Corporate policy, especially when minor bodywork is commonplace for CPO vehicles of all brands...including bumper resprays and paintless dent repairs? Why would one dealership (your local Lexus dealership) choose to use a higher standard than its competitors (BMW, M-B, Audi, etc., etc.) use?
Old 04-29-18, 06:46 PM
eddie420

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Let me put it this way - in a nice, but easy to understand way. They lied to you...and you believed them!

Why would one Lexus dealership use a much higher CPO standard than is required by their Corporate policy, especially when minor bodywork is commonplace for CPO vehicles of all brands...including bumper resprays and paintless dent repairs? Why would one dealership (your local Lexus dealership) choose to use a higher standard than its competitors (BMW, M-B, Audi, etc., etc.) use?
Agreed. I bought a CPO that had some mechanical work done to it. Still a CPO and fully warrantied.

To everyone else, here is the CPO check list: https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...t-brochure.pdf
Old 04-29-18, 08:57 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

How do they (BMW vs. Lexus) compare in terms of CPO standards?

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/certification
Old 04-30-18, 08:09 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

There was a time when CPO actually meant something. For example, the car couldn’t have ANY recoded damage, exceed 60k miles, have better Than 80% tread remaining, etc. the car had to basically look and feel new. Today, it amazes me what passes for CPO. I’ve also discovered dealers in my area won’t deal in CPO and treat them like golden calfs, so for the most part, I’ve been buying cars with flaws I know I can fix.

With out RX, there was a deep scratch with snags in the back seat, several dents without paint damage, so I spent $150 on the dent repair and $50 on a leather repair kit from leather renew.com and saved $5k over the same vehicle certified. The car had 26k mikes on it, so not like the CPO warranty was really going to get me anything and if I really wanted the extra warranty, I could have got that too for around $2k. I felt better served keeping the $2k.

I’ve seen cars show up as CPO that have been smoked in. That’s just crazy!
Old 04-30-18, 12:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I think all the brands use pretty much the same standards for their CPO requirements. Lexus is no different from their competition (BMW, M-B, Audi and others) as far as I know.
Originally Posted by Mike552
You are absolutely wrong there.

Having worked for BMW, I know for a fact that BMWs have a much higher selection, inspection, and reconditioning standard for their CPO vehicles.
How do they (BMW vs. Lexus) compare in terms of CPO standards?
You providing a link to BMW's CPO checklist is not a comparison of the two brand's (Lexus vs. BMW) CPO standards with the differences you claim that "BMWs have a much higher selection, inspection, and reconditioning standard for their CPO vehicles."

Can you provide factual evidence that BMW's CPO standards are (as you state) "a much higher selection, inspection, and reconditioning standard for their CPO vehicles" compared to Lexus' CPO vehicles? I'd like to see it if you can...

Last edited by bclexus; 04-30-18 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-30-18, 02:16 PM
rj4510
Instructor

You providing a link to BMW's CPO checklist is not a comparison of the two brand's (Lexus vs. BMW) CPO standards with the differences you claim that "BMWs have a much higher selection, inspection, and reconditioning standard for their CPO vehicles."

Can you provide factual evidence that BMW's CPO standards are (as you state) "a much higher selection, inspection, and reconditioning standard for their CPO vehicles" compared to Lexus' CPO vehicles? I'd like to see it if you can...
Having reviewed them closely very recently, as I was debating a BMW...The Bimmer CPO provides a stronger warranty. That's it. The CPO guidelines can say what they want as well. The dealer actually has to follow them and NOT certify something they shouldn't. The last part is the fly in the ointment. Dealers will do what they want.
Old 05-01-18, 05:21 PM
RainbowTrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus needs to get a hold of the CPO program. There is just way too much latitude in what cars a dealer can make CPO.

There are many good used cars out there but dealers are always looking to make one more penny if they can and thry buy the cheapest crap available at the auctions instead of paying a thousand or two more and getting quality.

They dont understand that once they sell that vehicle to a customer that they end up losing that customer, and Lexus corprate could end up losing a customer for life.

They should really do something about this.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone- positive or negative. Even though I will try a little more I am coming to the realization that I will be on the hook for this.

It is unfortunate- again I understand that a CPO is not a perfect system but I also think that the dealer AND manufacturer need to stand behind their process- otherwise what is the point of a CPO vehicle?

As this user said, going forward, I am going to reconsider another purchasing another CPO vehicle going forward and am DEFINITELY going to consider the Lexus CPO program. It is far from the gold standard that i hoped/expected.
Old 05-01-18, 05:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rj4510
Having reviewed them closely very recently, as I was debating a BMW...The Bimmer CPO provides a stronger warranty. That's it. The CPO guidelines can say what they want as well. The dealer actually has to follow them and NOT certify something they shouldn't. The last part is the fly in the ointment. Dealers will do what they want.
Stronger warranties aside, I don't see any meaningful difference between Lexus' CPO selection, inspection, and reconditioning standard when compared to Lexus' main competition, which primarily is BMW, Audi, M-B and Infiniti. If one competitive brand stood out as having a higher standard that buyers could put real credence in, then that brand would be advertising that higher standard they offer, something that is not happening.
Old 05-01-18, 06:06 PM
eddie420

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by RainbowTrl
It is far from the gold standard that i hoped/expected.
How you came up with that conclusion from this thread is beyond me. Lexus has a great CPO, you just need to make sure your dealer doesn't pull a fast one on you. I've come to the conclusion that if the dealer was in the wrong and you raise your voice and escalate the manner, the dealership will buckle in a heartbeat. Believe me, you can't go wrong with Lexus.
Old 05-01-18, 08:42 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Stronger warranties aside, I don't see any meaningful difference between Lexus' CPO selection, inspection, and reconditioning standard when compared to Lexus' main competition, which primarily is BMW, Audi, M-B and Infiniti. If one competitive brand stood out as having a higher standard that buyers could put real credence in, then that brand would be advertising that higher standard they offer, something that is not happening.
the dealers certainly tout the extra warranty, but don’t think they would sell as many pre-owned without it. People fear out of warranty German cars, though I didn’t have an ounce of trouble with my 07 Z4. That thing was as solid as any Toyota models I’ve owned and 10x the fun....except the GS.
Old 05-01-18, 09:20 PM
terrryz
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been comparing BMW and Lexus CPO programs recently. The Bimmer only adds 1 year on top of the factory warranty but Lexus adds 2 years. I don't understand why Bimmer CPO provides a stronger warranty. Can you explain?
Old 05-02-18, 08:02 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by terrryz
I have been comparing BMW and Lexus CPO programs recently. The Bimmer only adds 1 year on top of the factory warranty but Lexus adds 2 years. I don't understand why Bimmer CPO provides a stronger warranty. Can you explain?
Now that you called me out on it I went back and looked at both closely and not sure why the BMW dealer was touting theirs as the better one! Had I bought a BMW, it would have had the longest warranty possible, but didn’t really care about it for a Lexus. I actually avoided CPO, because the dealers around here won’t deal on anything CPO. I had two previous CPO Lexus’s and really saw no real value for the extra cost. Any major repairs came well after 130k on the odometer. It’s just way harder to get your BMW serviced outside of a dealer network here, so I would have not purchased without a CPO. We have BMW Indy shops, just nothing close to me.
Old 05-02-18, 09:15 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Now that you called me out on it I went back and looked at both closely and not sure why the BMW dealer was touting theirs as the better one! Had I bought a BMW, it would have had the longest warranty possible, but didn’t really care about it for a Lexus. I actually avoided CPO, because the dealers around here won’t deal on anything CPO. I had two previous CPO Lexus’s and really saw no real value for the extra cost. Any major repairs came well after 130k on the odometer. It’s just way harder to get your BMW serviced outside of a dealer network here, so I would have not purchased without a CPO. We have BMW Indy shops, just nothing close to me.
In my area, its getting harder and harder to find dealerships that have pre-owned inventory that ISN'T certified. I believe this is the model they feel works best because it creates an incentive for folks to make the purchase. I've purchased two Lexus CPO's in the last 5 years and never had anything happen during the CPO period that warranted the "extra" money paid for the CPO markup.

When I bought my 4GS, they only had one non CPO GS on the lot and the price difference was about $2000 with similar pkgs/mileage. The dealership I bought from also never certifies any car that has an accident on the Carfax.

Because of the complexity of today's cars with proximity sensors / cameras / etc. all around the body, I think its a bad idea for a dealership to certify a car that has been in an accident...they know this, but some still do it because the car wouldn't sell otherwise. It also isn't surprising that the dealerships are trying their best to avoid wear/tear claims by the customer (rust, paint, hazing headlights, wheels, tires, brakes, hoses, belts, etc) as those aren't covered if you look carefully at the CPO warranty. It gets even more risky for you as the buyer if you have a CPO accident car and need to make a claim...
Old 05-02-18, 10:01 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by AJLex19
In my area, its getting harder and harder to find dealerships that have pre-owned inventory that ISN'T certified. I believe this is the model they feel works best because it creates an incentive for folks to make the purchase. I've purchased two Lexus CPO's in the last 5 years and never had anything happen during the CPO period that warranted the "extra" money paid for the CPO markup.

When I bought my 4GS, they only had one non CPO GS on the lot and the price difference was about $2000 with similar pkgs/mileage. The dealership I bought from also never certifies any car that has an accident on the Carfax.

Because of the complexity of today's cars with proximity sensors / cameras / etc. all around the body, I think its a bad idea for a dealership to certify a car that has been in an accident...they know this, but some still do it because the car wouldn't sell otherwise. It also isn't surprising that the dealerships are trying their best to avoid wear/tear claims by the customer (rust, paint, hazing headlights, wheels, tires, brakes, hoses, belts, etc) as those aren't covered if you look carefully at the CPO warranty. It gets even more risky for you as the buyer if you have a CPO accident car and need to make a claim...
all but one Lexus dealer in the Phoenix area are owned by the same groups. 2k may have been fine with me for a difference, but most were base models with over 60k miles for at least 5k more. If F Sport, than higher and luxury package, higher yet. They would all show as 3 - 5k overpriced on the GS price comparisons. I’m okay with negotiating, but almost all dealers have gone to the one price policy. I got mine at one of the few privately owned dealerships and was able to negotiate a fair price. I just got lucky and they happened to have a luxury packaged one on the lot and only the second one I’d seen in my search. The second one was CPO with 10k more miles and $6k more with one price strategy. It was beyond ridiculously priced.