GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Paint Protection Film Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 03:23 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Lol. Definitely didn't want to make it more confusing. If it were me, I would remove the door edge trim and install the film to wrap around the door. At that point, you could determine if you want to put the factory door edges back on.

Originally Posted by eddie420
Boy, I am going to think about this one. Thought making a post and getting replies would make it easier but I'm 50/50 on this trim situation, lol.
Well, we offer a 3 day class for PPF, and most often, the installers that come through are going to need additional practice before they get to the point of being able to sell a job. Don't expect professional level results on a first time DIY PPF install. The good news is white is about the most forgiving color when it comes to installation flaws. That said, you will need a very clean environment and will want to not wear anything that sheds (blue jeans for instance).

-Jason

Sure bud. When are you planning on doing yours? I have a busy work schedule and the car will need to be out of commission for a few days since the first 24 hours are critical in keeping the chemicals cure. Plus I need to thoroughly pressure wash and clay the car. Time consuming. If AeroTect has some advice before I jump into this since he seems very knowledgeable, that'll help us both!
The following 2 users liked this post by AeroTect:
eddie420 (05-01-18), Im2bz2p345 (05-01-18)
Old 05-16-18, 05:29 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 550 Likes on 400 Posts

Have you tackled the PPF yet?
Old 05-16-18, 11:44 AM
eddie420

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Have you tackled the PPF yet?
Nope. Have a lot of wiring and mechanical projects on the car on going. PPF requires an indoor area away from the sun (e.g., garage, storage tent, etc) and from any debris. I turned my garage into a guest room so I'm SOL until I can finish the remaining projects I have on going. By then I'm sure I'll need to do some paint correction before applying the PPF. I would say you should just go ahead and do it. Take some water and isopropyl alcohol, mix it in a bottle, and apply the PPF to the hood of your car. You'll see it's quite easy to work it, especially for a large surface like that. Even better for us since our cars don't have any hood scoops lol.
Old 06-14-18, 02:29 PM
eddie420

Originally Posted by AeroTect
-
So I plan to install the PPF this weekend. Do you recommend leaving an eight of an inch gap between the PPF and the edge of each panel? Or do you recommend letting the film overhang and then once it dries, to wrap around the edges for full coverage? I bought the 3M PPF Knifeless Tape because I thought I was going to leave an eight of an inch gap but now I am wondering if I should go for full coverage? I know wrapping all the way can cause the film to lift if the surface is not prepared well. Just looking for some expert insight. Thanks!
Old 06-14-18, 03:03 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

If you don't wrap it around the edge you will have a dirt line where the ppf ends on the paint. I removed my factory ppf from my hood, because it only covered the first 2 feet and you can see the dirt line at the edge of the film.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (06-14-18)
Old 06-14-18, 09:05 PM
guppie
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where can I buy new door edge film guards? Mine are dirty and actually have dirt trapped underneath so it looks horrible. It looks kinda like mold and mildew buildup. Will post a pic tomorrow afternoon. I was also going to apply some of that clear 3M film to the front edge of my hood and lower region behind the wheels where rocks and debris kick up from the tires. My wife's Acura MDX has it and it's kinda grown on me. I can't use the same 3M film because the door edge guards aren't straight.
Old 06-15-18, 09:10 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Wrap it. Just clean the areas well where you will be wrapping it. It should also be a smooth painted surface. Also, on corners, you will need a slight relief cut so the film doesn't overlap itself on the wrap.

So I plan to install the PPF this weekend. Do you recommend leaving an eight of an inch gap between the PPF and the edge of each panel? Or do you recommend letting the film overhang and then once it dries, to wrap around the edges for full coverage? I bought the 3M PPF Knifeless Tape because I thought I was going to leave an eight of an inch gap but now I am wondering if I should go for full coverage? I know wrapping all the way can cause the film to lift if the surface is not prepared well. Just looking for some expert insight. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (06-15-18)
Old 06-16-18, 11:05 AM
guppie
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried using the generic door edge guards on their GS? Thinking of applying these white ones:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trim-Moldin...oAAOSwoydWkSS-
Not crazy about the clear because I have a white car and the dirt outline is always highly visible. The driver side actually has mold or something growing underneath. However, the grey car looks fine but that's because the grey hides dirt alot better. This is what the factory door edge guards look like now. Thinking back, maybe I should've bought a black car...

front driver side door edge guard

front passenger side door edge guard

rear driver side no door edge guard

rear passenger side door edge guard
Old 06-16-18, 11:51 AM
eddie420

Originally Posted by guppie
Has anyone tried using the generic door edge guards on their GS? Thinking of applying these white ones:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trim-Moldin...oAAOSwoydWkSS-
Not crazy about the clear because I have a white car and the dirt outline is always highly visible. The driver side actually has mold or something growing underneath. However, the grey car looks fine but that's because the grey hides dirt alot better. This is what the factory door edge guards look like now. Thinking back, maybe I should've bought a black car...
Black cars are the worst to maintain. Let me retract that statement... they are a nightmare, especially if you have OCD tendencies.

Trust me, you don't want to go down the eBay route... I tried that and it the results look bad lol. I ended up buying the factory door edge guards for $80 and they look and function awesome. No dirt line with them.

Old 06-17-18, 11:27 PM
guppie
Driver School Candidate

Black cars are the worst to maintain. Let me retract that statement... they are a nightmare, especially if you have OCD tendencies.

Trust me, you don't want to go down the eBay route... I tried that and it the results look bad lol. I ended up buying the factory door edge guards for $80 and they look and function awesome. No dirt line with them.
Are those white door edge guards or clear? Did you buy them online or at dealer?
Let me see a better picture of those brake calipers. Do they have "F-Sport" on them? Look nice.
Old 06-18-18, 04:14 AM
eddie420

Originally Posted by guppie
Are those white door edge guards or clear? Did you buy them online or at dealer?
Let me see a better picture of those brake calipers. Do they have "F-Sport" on them? Look nice.
They are white door edge guards to match my white car. You can buy them pre-painted from the factory so it matches your car's paint perfectly. I never buy from dealer, I buy from Toyota/Lexus distributors online like www.oemvehicleparts.com first and then second preference is www.discountpartsmonster.com. The breaker calipers have F-Sport written on them, got them custom made here: https://www.calipercovers.com/
Old 06-18-18, 04:29 AM
eddie420

Also, I didn't install the PPF over the weekend as planned, the weather got up in almost triple digits. Proper install should be between 60 and 90 deg F. Hopefully next weekend is better lol.