GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dents On Roof After Detail

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 02:36 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Ya never know, someone could've walked by and hit it out of spite. Had a gal spit on mine last weekend in a parking lot because she thought she deserved my parking spot. Things got a little ugly when I saw her do it. Lot of vandals out there.
That's why I have a front and rear dash cam that records 24/7 (with parking mode enabled and an extended battery to reduce strain on the car battery). Once I get some disposable income, I plan to add another dual dash cam for the sides also to watch out for those German fairies going around denting our pillars.
Old 05-01-18, 06:34 PM
hapyhar0ld
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm following this thread as I had almost the exact same problem! Bought the car as a pre-owned 2015 with 23k on the odometer. Came home and did a nice detail where I noticed multiple "dents" in the pillar - maybe six on the driver side and four on the passenger. Chocked it up to my recklessness when doing the roof and paid a PDR guy $250 to have them all pulled.

I'll be pissed if it wasn't my fault and it's a design flaw.
Old 05-01-18, 07:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I just can't image that flexing of the car's body (like hard launching or tracking) has caused those mysterious dents in the roof - most of the time dents from racing/tracking don't appear on the roof. The sheet metal nowadays is very thin so I guess it could be feasible that applying too much pressure with the forearms or elbows while detailing the car could have caused those dents.
Old 05-01-18, 09:19 PM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Weird..I don't think you did it by dealing either rather its more noticeable now that you have smooth and shiny...Its hard to tell by the pictures but maybe someone had a roof rack of some sort installed previously???
Old 05-02-18, 05:05 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 93 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hudrock
Weird..I don't think you did it by dealing either rather its more noticeable now that you have smooth and shiny...Its hard to tell by the pictures but maybe someone had a roof rack of some sort installed previously???
I doubt it, it's weird that there's maybe 4 dents on the driver side, and maybe only 2 on the passenger side.

It's even more weird that a number of other members have had the same problem.

EDIT: So, I sent a couple photos to a PDR guy in the area, and without seeing it in person he gave me a price range of $400-600. That'll be a negative for me.

Last edited by ph0bolus; 05-02-18 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-02-18, 06:06 AM
SpicedRum
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I had read about a possible easy fix for these types of dents some years back. The secret was dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide). Apply dry ice to the dent and supposedly small dents like this will pop back out. I have seen before/after pics and it worked! No experience with it personally but I think it's worth a shot.

Keep it off your skin! You do not want to touch this stuff without gloves.

You can buy this stuff from a local ice cream place very cheaply.
Old 05-02-18, 06:09 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 93 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
I had read about a possible easy fix for these types of dents some years back. The secret was dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide). Apply dry ice to the dent and supposedly small dents like this will pop back out. I have seen before/after pics and it worked! No experience with it personally but I think it's worth a shot.

Hmm..it worked on metal? I've never heard of this before, but i'll do some research (off to youtube)
Old 05-02-18, 06:52 AM
SpicedRum
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes,it was for automotive dents. I seem to recall it would only heal certain types of dents so I wouldn't get your hopes up too far. But, it may work...
Old 05-02-18, 07:06 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedRum

That only works for plastic panels.
Old 05-02-18, 09:45 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Thought I'd go ahead and post some pics of mine for you guys. I took a look over my car and luckily I am holding steady at only one dent! Lol.

Old 05-02-18, 09:57 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Ya never know, someone could've walked by and hit it out of spite. Had a gal spit on mine last weekend in a parking lot because she thought she deserved my parking spot. Things got a little ugly when I saw her do it. Lot of vandals out there.
Another reason why I try to stay out of "those" towns and I park my GS in tinbuck 4 usually at a retail place unless nobodys there...

-Mike
Old 05-02-18, 12:54 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

I thought the trick was to take a hair dryer/heat gun and apply heat to the dent, get it really warm...then take canned air and while holding upside down, spray on the heated dent.. The drastic change in temperature is supposed to pop the dents out.

Last edited by jtrue28; 05-02-18 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-02-18, 05:11 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Go to the junk yard with your bat and whack away... Then see if you can fix. Seriously any dent with crease is not coming out with heat/cool alone. You might be suprised what some adhesives will do tho and the right shape of puller...

I find it hard to beleive flex caused this. More likely struck by something. Now the soft flat panels of the roof is a different story.

You all saw the thread with Roof dents past the front left corner of the sun roof, yes? Much bigger and caused from chassis flex.
Search...
The official "I've got a dent in my 2IS roof" thread.
The following users liked this post:
bb700092 (05-02-18)
Old 05-02-18, 05:58 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Here is the link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...of-thread.html

In the above thread, many 2IS owners are blaming body flex and structural weakness to be the reason behind these dents. If that is truly the case, fixing these dents is not going to help as they will appear again.

Last edited by bb700092; 05-02-18 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-02-18, 08:08 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
Here is the link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...of-thread.html

In the above thread, many 2IS owners are blaming body flex and structural weakness to be the reason behind these dents. If that is truly the case, fixing these dents is not going to help as they will appear again.
Ah, you found it before me. It was an issue with the 2IS and Now seemingly the 4GS. It's pretty baffling to imagine a pothole could cause such a dent.

Quick Reply: Dents On Roof After Detail