GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Turn Signal arm

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18 | 03:22 AM
Cobra611
Pit Crew

Default Turn Signal arm

I apologize if this has been discussed. I tried doing a search, but was unsuccessful. I have a '14 GS 350 F Sport that I absolutely love driving. My question is in regard to the turn signal arm. When using it, unlike other vehicles I've had, the arm will return to it's "home" position instead of waiting until the turn is completed. Not sure how else I can explain this, so I hope I'm somewhat clear. I just find it to be a PITA when trying to deactivate it, I wind up signaling in the other direction.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-18 | 04:30 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

That's just the way it is. To cancel it you just lightly push it in the opposite direction, don't mash it. Why are you so frequently canceling it anyway?

Short press for lane changes and it will cancel itself after 3 blinks. If 3 blinks is not enough for you then you can change it to 5 or 7 blinks.

Long press if you are actually turning and then it will cancel itself after the wheel is turned 90 degrees and back.
Old 05-03-18 | 07:14 AM
Cobra611
Pit Crew

Thanks. Yes, I am familiar with the short and long press. My problem is that when trying making a lane change, it's hard for me to get the perfect short press. I usually wind up doing a long press then pushing it too far back and start signaling the other direction. Could you tell me how to change the setting for the number is blinks? I could not find it, even using Carista. Thank you!!
Old 05-03-18 | 07:24 AM
psinsyd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cobra611
Thanks. Yes, I am familiar with the short and long press. My problem is that when trying making a lane change, it's hard for me to get the perfect short press. I usually wind up doing a long press then pushing it too far back and start signaling the other direction. Could you tell me how to change the setting for the number is blinks? I could not find it, even using Carista. Thank you!!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10150271
Old 05-03-18 | 07:34 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cobra611
What are you doing? Literally, describe what you do.

Try a gentle touch, just a tap and it will blink 3 times. If you feel it "break" over it will have to be canceled, either manually or with a turn. I literally just nudge it and it works perfectly for me. Practice in your driveway and not while driving to learn the subtle touch it requires.
Old 05-06-18 | 07:19 AM
rj4510
Instructor

It just takes getting used to. Problem is, my wife’s 13 RX is the “old” style, so when I drive it, I forget to set the e-brake and can’t ever get the turn signal to engage anymore. Way too light a touch. Never realized canceling a manual turn signal was so much of a hassle, till the new cars came out the the auto version. the change was a solution looking for a problem, but hey...it’s the way things are I suppose. Strange part is, Lexus gives you the auto turn signal on all models now, but auto recirculation, auto wipers, etc. which were super convenient are optional. Now that’s annoying.
Old 05-06-18 | 10:42 AM
signdetres
Racer

I've never found this style turn signal to be a bother and actually prefer it. Feels more "fancy" and different from "normal" cars that don't have digital turn signal stalks (yes, I recognize Lexus switched back to more conventional style stalks in the LC, LS & newer models).

It's pretty straightforward. There are 5 very distinct positions, just like the wiper stalk. The center position is neutral and from there has two lever positions upward and two lever positions downward. Be gentle and patient and try learning where those positions are and you'll stop overshooting and activating the opposite turn signal direction.

I'd also recommend changing the lane change press (first position up or down) to 5 flashes instead of the standard 3. Oh my god has such a simple change made it so much more useful and simple yet satisfying.
Old 05-06-18 | 10:59 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by signdetres
I've never found this style turn signal to be a bother and actually prefer it. Feels more "fancy" and different from "normal" cars that don't have digital turn signal stalks (yes, I recognize Lexus switched back to more conventional style stalks in the LC, LS & newer models).

It's pretty straightforward. There are 5 very distinct positions, just like the wiper stalk. The center position is neutral and from there has two lever positions upward and two lever positions downward. Be gentle and patient and try learning where those positions are and you'll stop overshooting and activating the opposite turn signal direction.

I'd also recommend changing the lane change press (first position up or down) to 5 flashes instead of the standard 3. Oh my god has such a simple change made it so much more useful and simple yet satisfying.
Basically how I feel. I love the multi function arm. When I drive my other car now I am always pressing it so lightly like I do in the Lexus and I only get half a blink lol

I guess my gripe from using this feature would be that I wish my other car had the feature, not that my Lexus did not.

5 blinks is ideal IMO. 3 too short and with 7 it's too many.