Help With F-Sport Rotors - Clicking noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 09:04 AM
basically1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With F-Sport Rotors - Clicking noises

Hello Guys!

I just picked up a 2018 GS 350 F-Sport lease a week ago and have an issue with clicking noises from the rotors. This sound seems to be more obvious and comes more often from the right Rotor than the left. I took the Car to the dealership and they state that this is normal for 2 piece rotors and that there is nothing they can do but replace them with one piece rotors.

I am now here at these forums for some advice and help.

Facts:

- I have a 15k yearly lease and will drive 13-15k each year.
- This noise is embarrassing to me as it is a new car making noises at every turn. ( Driving me nuts )
- The noises happen at almost every slow speed turn, Slow bump, when the car comes to a stop and when accelerating from a stop

Why am I here?

I would like some feedback and opinion from people who know more about these cars than I do. I was a previous Evolution 8 MR owner when I was younger and have been out of the technical know how for quiet some time now.

Are the one piece rotors Lexus intents to install to replace the F-Sport rotors decent?

Will they reduce the life span of my pads/ rotors and or cause extra dust? ( warping, pads wearing faster )

Will they make the drive feel any different? Braking, ride quality.. Etc...

What it boils down to is that I will be driving this car for the next 3 years and wants to know if I should take it back to the dealership and have them replace the Rotors to get rid of this issue. I have roughly 300 miles on the car, if that even matters.

It Sucks that they don't give you a heads up before leasing/purchasing the F-Sport. Like.." HEY, These rotors will make noises. Just FYI". It Sucks paying extra for "F-Sport" then having to remove something you paid extra for.
They justified it by saying all 2 piece rotors do this.. How the hell am I supposed to know that lol?

Thanks!
Old 05-07-18, 10:41 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 410 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by basically1
Hello Guys!

I just picked up a 2018 GS 350 F-Sport lease a week ago and have an issue with clicking noises from the rotors. This sound seems to be more obvious and comes more often from the right Rotor than the left. I took the Car to the dealership and they state that this is normal for 2 piece rotors and that there is nothing they can do but replace them with one piece rotors.

Facts:

- This noise is embarrassing to me as it is a new car making noises at every turn. ( Driving me nuts )
- The noises happen at almost every slow speed turn, Slow bump, when the car comes to a stop and when accelerating from a stop

Why am I here?

I would like some feedback and opinion from people who know more about these cars than I do. I was a previous Evolution 8 MR owner when I was younger and have been out of the technical know how for quiet some time now.

Are the one piece rotors Lexus intents to install to replace the F-Sport rotors decent?

Will they reduce the life span of my pads/ rotors and or cause extra dust? ( warping, pads wearing faster )

What it boils down to is that I will be driving this car for the next 3 years and wants to know if I should take it back to the dealership and have them replace the Rotors to get rid of this issue. I have roughly 300 miles on the car, if that even matters.

It Sucks that they don't give you a heads up before leasing/purchasing the F-Sport. Like.." HEY, These rotors will make noises. Just FYI". It Sucks paying extra for "F-Sport" then having to remove something you paid extra for.
They justified it by saying all 2 piece rotors do this.. How the hell am I supposed to know that lol?

Thanks!
They don't all make the noise but sometimes they do. Replacing them with the 1 piece fixes it with no significant sacrifice to performance or ride or braking power. Just let them do it and you'll be happy with it.

​​​​​​​I have a 2014 f sport with 2 piece and I've never had the clicking noise at 33k miles now

Last edited by np20412; 08-29-18 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-07-18, 11:47 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

I too have 2-piece rotors and have not experienced any clicking (yet)...I'm at 40k miles.
As you already know from your dealer there is a technical service bulletin (TSB) for this as it is common enough to warrant that option should you choose to exercise it.

the 1-piece rotors are roughly 5lbs heavier so performance will decrease (rotating mass) but to the normal driver it will not make a difference you can feel.
I say have it done (at no cost to you, other than time lost) and enjoy the car!
Old 05-07-18, 12:18 PM
basically1
Driver School Candidate

I am at the dealership right now dropping my car off. The noise was unbearable. They have the rotors in stock and will replace it today.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-07-18, 12:53 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

My brand new 18 RC was making the same noise too and I hated it and they replaced it for free with the one-piece rotors. Now it's all quiet again.
Old 08-28-18, 03:06 PM
Chi2Cali
Driver School Candidate

Hey,

I have a 2014 with the F-Sport package and didn't hear any clicking noise, but I did need to get new rotors. I am at 57k now and warranty has ended. I got the 2pc rotors from the Lexus dealership and now my brakes are squealing everywhere I go. I am in and out of parking garages and the echo of the squeal kills me. Just to confirm I got the 2pc F Sport rotors and the Akebono ACT1118 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set and replaced everything at once. Is this just going to last until I change them again? I've put about 200/300 miles on the replacements to see if they just need to be worn in.

How can the noise stop? Pretty embarrassing to have a "nice luxury car", but makes a noticeable sound. Any suggestions or help here?
Old 08-28-18, 03:16 PM
basically1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chi2Cali
Hey,

I have a 2014 with the F-Sport package and didn't hear any clicking noise, but I did need to get new rotors. I am at 57k now and warranty has ended. I got the 2pc rotors from the Lexus dealership and now my brakes are squealing everywhere I go. I am in and out of parking garages and the echo of the squeal kills me. Just to confirm I got the 2pc F Sport rotors and the Akebono ACT1118 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set and replaced everything at once. Is this just going to last until I change them again? I've put about 200/300 miles on the replacements to see if they just need to be worn in.

How can the noise stop? Pretty embarrassing to have a "nice luxury car", but makes a noticeable sound. Any suggestions or help here?
You may be SOL.

I went to lexus again to drop off my car for clicking/ cracking noises coming from the sunroof when the body flexes and I brought up the squealing brakes and to everyone I complained to about that said "All sports cars do it".

I then went on to tell them that my Evo with drilled/slotted rotors and my M5 never squealed and they brushed it off as if I was crazy. I honestly do not respect lexus after this. I told the service advisor why their sales people dont warn buyers that they may need to have their 2 prices rotors swapped with one piece rotors to get rid of the clicking but then you would have squealing rotors/pads as a trade off.

I laid extra for the f sport and feel like I got shafted by them taking away the 2 piece rotors. They claim every 2 piece rotors make the clicking noises regardless of cars. Meaning I shouldn't buy a different brand lol.

I think I will ride out my lease and look into the bmw M550xi as my next car.

these cars have not been refreshed in a while and dont stack up to the competition. Wish I had looked at other cars before I blindly went into my lease based on looks alone.
Old 08-28-18, 03:26 PM
Chi2Cali
Driver School Candidate

You may be SOL.

I went to lexus again to drop off my car for clicking/ cracking noises coming from the sunroof when the body flexes and I brought up the squealing brakes and to everyone I complained to about that said "All sports cars do it".

I then went on to tell them that my Evo with drilled/slotted rotors and my M5 never squealed and they brushed it off as if I was crazy. I honestly do not respect lexus after this. I told the service advisor why their sales people dont warn buyers that they may need to have their 2 prices rotors swapped with one piece rotors to get rid of the clicking but then you would have squealing rotors/pads as a trade off.

I laid extra for the f sport and feel like I got shafted by them taking away the 2 piece rotors. They claim every 2 piece rotors make the clicking noises regardless of cars. Meaning I shouldn't buy a different brand lol.

I think I will ride out my lease and look into the bmw M550xi as my next car.

these cars have not been refreshed in a while and dont stack up to the competition. Wish I had looked at other cars before I blindly went into my lease based on looks alone.
I figured that was my situation. It just sucks that I dished out about $800~ on just front rotor and pads. Now my car only looks good Parked. I was going to consider getting 3rd party warranty but that will just add to the cost I already blew on parts, and I would have sacrificed the performance to swap out to a 1pc rotor set...

If anyone else has any suggestion, much appreciated. Also, I am a bit behind on my 5k checkup and will turn it in this weekend and see if my Dealership in SoCal has anything to say.
Old 08-28-18, 03:41 PM
eddie420

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

I figured that was my situation. It just sucks that I dished out about $800~ on just front rotor and pads. Now my car only looks good Parked. I was going to consider getting 3rd party warranty but that will just add to the cost I already blew on parts, and I would have sacrificed the performance to swap out to a 1pc rotor set...

If anyone else has any suggestion, much appreciated. Also, I am a bit behind on my 5k checkup and will turn it in this weekend and see if my Dealership in SoCal has anything to say.
Many people recommend Akebonos but they are very moody and will squeal like no other until fully warmed up. I can care less about the brake dust my OEM pads give, they are quiet and brake really good. Also make sure your dust shield in the back is not bent, that can cause noise. It has happened to a lot of people.
Old 08-29-18, 06:42 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

I replaced the front pads on my 2017 F-sport at 9k with Akebono ACT1118 ProACT pads just because of the amount of dust from the OEM pads. I did not have any clicking noise with the OEM pads and 2 -piece rotors at low speeds but did have this annoying sound every time you came to a complete stop and then once you released the brake almost like a clunking sound from the pads releasing it was also very embarrassing coming from a 50+K car. Once I swapped out to the Akebono pads that noise is completely gone. Not sure if it had to do with the High friction material of the OEM pads but I am happy its gone. And the big plus with these pads is after a week of driving there is no brake dust covering my wheels.
Old 08-29-18, 07:36 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Go back to OEM pads. No squeal. Make sure the shim kit is installed.
Old 02-01-19, 01:35 PM
Gtown007
Driver School Candidate

I wish you the best but same thing happened to me and now the 1 piece screeches so loud it's embarrassing. Called Lexus and the choice is:

1) Go back to 'clicking' noise and they will install 2-piece rotors AGAIN

2) Live with the 1-piece rotors and deal with the ear piercing screech noise.

It's a known corporate issue and clearly they could give two ****s about it.
Old 02-01-19, 03:23 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gtown007
I wish you the best but same thing happened to me and now the 1 piece screeches so loud it's embarrassing. Called Lexus and the choice is:

1) Go back to 'clicking' noise and they will install 2-piece rotors AGAIN

2) Live with the 1-piece rotors and deal with the ear piercing screech noise.

It's a known corporate issue and clearly they could give two ****s about it.
Not all the 2 piece rotors click. I had zero clicking for 35k miles and just replaced mine with 1 piece because they were willing to do it for free for me under the LSB (they didn't even test drive the car, just took me at my word when I mentioned there was an LSB if they could get me a free set of rotors under). I also don't have any squealing on my 1 piece, so I really don't know what everyone is complaining about here. The only noise difference my car makes with the newer brakes is when I very slowly let off the brake and the pads disengage, I get that groaning type sound until the pad is fully disengaged. It didn't do that with the 2 piece at all. I'll probably go back to 2 piece when rotors need replacing again.

Last edited by np20412; 02-01-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 05:54 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

When my 18 F Sport was new, I did have brake noise but after a weeks and a few hundred miles (maybe 1K) the noise went away. Did I have those same thoughts you all did when I pulled around the drive-thru at Wendy's? Yep, but brakes are just one component of this remarkable car. My initials thoughts were to do what I did when my brakes were noisy in my past cars:
- Brake grease to back of pad
- Brake grease to caliper guide pins
- Brake grease on edges of pad backing
- Check the brake wear indicators
- Check the shims
- Change to different pads
- Changing the rotors was a last resort.

There are so many variables with brakes, that if you understand how brakes work, you will realize that it's remarkable that we don't hear noise from brakes more often.

BTW, OP, and Gtown... when I read about the experience you had at the dealers, 2 thoughts popped into my head:
1. They are BS'ing and only telling you what they did to shut you down and get you out of their faces...
2. If that experience is typical, I would not be going back to them. Run away, quickly...
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (02-02-19)
Old 02-24-22, 10:42 AM
itsjustin
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I also have a 2018 Lexus GS350 f sport and I experience the same exact clicking noises. You hear it clearly when the Windows are rolled down and it happens when I make slow turns like a u-turn or even just pulling into a parking spot. It’s pretty annoying and embarrassing considering it’s a luxury and new car. Went to the dealer and the master tech said the same thing, that the two piece rotors are the reason for this noise that the two piece would occasionally shift, hence the noise.

They said to get rid of the noise, I would have to swap to one piece rotors. It’s covered under warranty, but still, it kind of sucks that we paid premium for f sport but we have to go through this. But as long as the one piece rotors work as well as the two piece and doesn’t sacrifice its life span, braking power, etc., then I guess I’ll take that over the clicking noises in the 2 piece rotors.

Hello Guys!

Facts:

Why am I here?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Help With F-Sport Rotors - Clicking noises