GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Fluids/Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-18 | 11:23 AM
joesmithf1
Rookie

Default Fluids/Oil Changes

Hi All,

I have my 2017 Lexus for 5 months, with 5000 miles. Is there any fluids and/or oil that would be a good idea to change? I know for the BMW M4, for example, they have this first 1200 miles changes of oil and diff fluid, more like for break-in period. So just wondering if our cars needs to do something like this.

thank you.
Joe
Old 05-11-18 | 12:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joesmithf1
Hi All,

I have my 2017 Lexus for 5 months, with 5000 miles. Is there any fluids and/or oil that would be a good idea to change? I know for the BMW M4, for example, they have this first 1200 miles changes of oil and diff fluid, more like for break-in period. So just wondering if our cars needs to do something like this.

thank you.
Joe
I would just follow the recommended Lexus maintenance schedule, which for oil changes is to change the engine oil and filter every 10,000 miles or once a year, whichever comes first. However, if you are overly OCD and 'think' you will keep the car for a gazillion miles and drive it until you die then you will probably choose to overdo the maintenance...and waste both your time and money.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-11-18 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-07-22 | 06:22 PM
markn
Rookie

Thanks everyone. Went back out now and found it in an adjacent part of the Settings display. I needed to carrot left in the display to bring a different part of the menu up showing the oil / maintenance reset. One keystroke that was not listed but know how to get to it now that I found it. Again Thanks
Old 10-08-22 | 06:12 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

I do 5K OCIs and swap the filter every other services. Use a good synthetic oil like M1 and a factory filter.
Do not believe in lifetime fluids; fluids are the lifeblood of your vehicle.

The car is new to you; I would do an end-to-end inspection of brakes, fluids, tires, suspension and make a plan based on your findings.
A nice warsh and wax is also a good idea, IMO. I respect and take care of my tools; my cars are tools.

Check out DIY Dan and Viktor G on Youtube.
Good luck and have fun with it.
Old 10-09-22 | 03:35 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Question: I did the oil change myself back in the Spring I think, though I had only gone about 3k miles and 16 months, but I never reset any maintenance codes because I did not have any showing. Should I be resetting any codes? Do we have an oil maintenance minder thing like my Acura does? I have never seen it. The Acura measures the oil life% left and starts giving a message when it gets down to 15%. Gets so annoying, it makes you change the oil to get rid of it. Thanks.
Old 10-10-22 | 06:34 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hues10
Question: I did the oil change myself back in the Spring I think, though I had only gone about 3k miles and 16 months, but I never reset any maintenance codes because I did not have any showing. Should I be resetting any codes? Do we have an oil maintenance minder thing like my Acura does? I have never seen it. The Acura measures the oil life% left and starts giving a message when it gets down to 15%. Gets so annoying, it makes you change the oil to get rid of it. Thanks.
The dash maintenance reminder comes on every 5k miles, I find it useless and annoying. I reset it every time the light comes on. I set the maintenance reminders in the infotainment system but that has no connection with the dash light.

Just reset it and when you change the oil again reset it again.

Old 10-11-22 | 06:44 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hues10
Originally Posted by peasodos
The dash maintenance reminder comes on every 5k miles, I find it useless and annoying. I reset it every time the light comes on. I set the maintenance reminders in the infotainment system but that has no connection with the dash light.

@Hues10 - I don't know what year your GS is, but this is how to reset the engine oil maintenance data (a.k.a. oil change) reminder on my 2018 GS 450h.

Depending on the year of your car, if the above doesn't work for you, then this will:

• Turn on the ignition without starting the car
Make sure you’re on the TRIP A
• Turn OFF the ignition
Hold down the ODO/TRIP button while turning on the ignition again without starting the car
• Continue to hold down the button until all zero appears on the screen

Last edited by bclexus; 10-11-22 at 06:45 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-12-22 | 07:31 PM
onepercent
Rookie

Hi all,

I have a 2019 GS 350. I recently had an oil change at the dealership in Aug, 2022. I have not checked the oil level right after the oil change. I just checked the oil level last night after the car has been cooled down for about 30 minutes. The oil level seems to be about 5 mm above the high mark on the dip stick. Obviously it has too much oil in the engine. It is my understanding that too much engine oil in the engine could potentially wreak havoc to the engine. The question is whether I should worry about the excessive oil in the engine and whether the excessive oil has any adverse impact on the engine. I recall the GS 350 3.5 L engine takes about 6.7 quart of oil.

Thanks you in advance for sharing your experience and expertise on this subject matter.
Old 10-12-22 | 08:02 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Make 100% sure the car is level. Check again when it's sat overnight cold. If still too much I would take it back to dealer and advise. Not really alot of harm it can do but, that is what I would do if it was my car.
Old 10-12-22 | 10:12 PM
onepercent
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion. I have made an appointment with the dealer to take some excessive oil out once too much oil is confirmed. I have a Toyota Highlander and it seems that the dealer often overfills the engine with oil level often 3/8 inch above high mark. Don't understand why overfilling is such a common unpleasant problem. We pay them good money to do a decent job and can't believe the technicians can be so sloppy.
Old 10-12-22 | 10:32 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

There was another thread about oil changes here recently. When I said after it's done, check the level someone comment like what, you check the oil? Yep I do and why.

Another issue that can cause this I have found sometimes from DYI changes is how long you let it drain before you put the filter back on and drain plug. I leave it for a little bit.
Old 10-12-22 | 11:30 PM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by peasodos

Mine hasn’t come on at all in the 60k km I’ve driven mine.
I’ve wondered why not but I’m glad because it’s a useless function.
Old 10-19-22 | 02:15 PM
onepercent
Rookie

I finally went back to the dealership and had them drain some extra oil. Now the dipstick reading is about 5mm below the high mark. In between the oil drain, I drove about 45 miles since the dealer overfilled the engine to 5 mm above the high mark.

After the oil drain, I checked the oil and saw something like grey-color tiny debris on the upper side of the dipstick. I went back to the dealer and they said the oil was fresh and there was nothing wrong. I have since checked the oil level several times since. I could see some tiny grey color matter on the paper wipe when I wiped the dipstick from top to the bottom along the edges of the dipstick. I now also notice that it is hard to inset the dipstick into the oil tube for my GS. It seems that the dipstick has a very tight fit with the oil tube, unlike other cars that I own. So I am suspecting that the grey-colored matter on the paper wipe may be the rub-off from the friction between the dipstick and the oil tube every time I inset into and pull from the oil tube. The oW-20 oil looks very clean and hence I could make out the faint grey color rubbed off on the edges of the dip stick.

I would like to check with the forum's owners to see if you have similar experiences about dipstick tight fit and grey color materials on paper wipe during oil checks and whether I should be concerned about the potential foreign materials found on the dipstick.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-22 | 03:33 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by onepercent
I finally went back to the dealership and had them drain some extra oil. Now the dipstick reading is about 5mm below the high mark. In between the oil drain, I drove about 45 miles since the dealer overfilled the engine to 5 mm above the high mark.

After the oil drain, I checked the oil and saw something like grey-color tiny debris on the upper side of the dipstick. I went back to the dealer and they said the oil was fresh and there was nothing wrong. I have since checked the oil level several times since. I could see some tiny grey color matter on the paper wipe when I wiped the dipstick from top to the bottom along the edges of the dipstick. I now also notice that it is hard to inset the dipstick into the oil tube for my GS. It seems that the dipstick has a very tight fit with the oil tube, unlike other cars that I own. So I am suspecting that the grey-colored matter on the paper wipe may be the rub-off from the friction between the dipstick and the oil tube every time I inset into and pull from the oil tube. The oW-20 oil looks very clean and hence I could make out the faint grey color rubbed off on the edges of the dip stick.

I would like to check with the forum's owners to see if you have similar experiences about dipstick tight fit and grey color materials on paper wipe during oil checks and whether I should be concerned about the potential foreign materials found on the dipstick.

Thanks.
I think you are concerned about something you have no need whatsoever in being concerned about even to the slightest extent...
Old 10-19-22 | 05:00 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onepercent

Thanks.
Good that you are concern and observant. Try turning the stick around to see if it goes in smoother. I think you are ok not to worry. But understand your concerns, as these are not EV cars but internal combustion motor cars.

Quick Reply: Fluids/Oil Changes