GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bumpy Ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18 | 10:48 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

I feel your pain. I think it's the wheels also and the low profile tires.
I'm looking for a set of Lux wheels like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-X8-INCH-...rd!85013!US!-1

So I can get a more "plush" ride and a little more tire on there. I'm not sure if they would clear the RWD brakes though.
The following users liked this post:
SFPeterHom (05-23-18)
Old 05-23-18 | 12:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Now that you have purchased a 2015 GS350 F Sport with 19" asymmetric wheels, sports tires, firm coil springs and roll bars across the range, and electronic variable suspension with a firmer Sports Plus Mode - the only way to soften the ride is to trade-in, and purchase and ES350.

Beyond that, what tires are you using? Tires may have a very small effect because the asymmetric low profile rear tires leaves little choice in tire models.
You could use slightly lower early morning cold tire pressures below the manufacturer's recommendations on the door label, but once again, the ultra low profile asymmetric rear tires leaves little choice for using lower tire pressures because ultra low profiles require higher tire pressures.
The F Sport uses larger dual caliper front brake rotors, so 19" front wheels are a must, unless you want to replace the brake rotors and brake calipers too.
The F Sport also uses asymmetric wide low profile rear wheels, with lower profile tires that require a stiffer side wall and higher tire pressures.
The entire GS range is fitted with firmer coil springs and firmer roll bars with the same part numbers - to minimize weight transfer to the outside tires to maximize grip.
The F Sport has a stiffer software set up on Sports Plus Mode than the regular luxury model with electronic variable dampers.

Springs give compliance, but reduces weight transfer to the outside tires to maximize grip.
Roll bars make the vehicle behave more like a non-independent suspension vehicle.
Dampers [nee shock absorbers] provide control from floatiness; floatiness is low frequency vertical oscillations, while a firm damper gives a high frequency of vertical oscillations - which is tiring to the human body.

The GS also uses very firm seats front and rear, across the entire range.

Aftermarket springs and dampers are normally as stiff, if not stiffer than OEM, because softer springs and dampers give rise to lateral roll and longitudinal pitching which has to be engineered into each model, and this engineering is too expensive for aftermarket suppliers.

That's why I think it best that you trade-in early for an ES.

Had you purchased the 2015 GS350 Luxury, with smaller front brake rotors, you could at least down size to symmetric 18" wheels, with compliant sporting luxury touring Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires, and although this model has the same springs, roll bar, and electronic damper part numbers as the F Sport model, the normal luxury model has a softer damper software settings on Sport Plus Mode.
However, note that the 2015 GS350 Luxury still has firm springs, firm roll bars, firmish dampers, and firm seats - across the range.
The current model 2012-19 4GS was one of the first of the recent models to use 2009 incoming President Akio Toyoda's policy of "No more boring cars".

The ES is a similar size exteriorly, but with more interior space and a softer ride, though the ES is also a more down market model, with less features too.
The only other way is to go E Class or 5 Series etc, but then you don't have the long term reliability.
Nothing is perfect...

4GS was deliberately designed to be more firm riding than E Class and 5 Series below.

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-24-18 at 09:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peteharvey:
eddie420 (05-23-18), SFPeterHom (05-23-18)
Old 05-23-18 | 12:48 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

You can put on larger size (meatier) tires without changing the rims as discussed in these threads:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...more-meat.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ed-advice.html

The ride quality of F-Sport models has been widely discussed in this forum:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...18-wheels.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pacakage.html
The following users liked this post:
SFPeterHom (05-23-18)
Old 05-23-18 | 01:42 PM
SFPeterHom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LatinGS350
I feel your pain. I think it's the wheels also and the low profile tires.
I'm looking for a set of Lux wheels like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-X8-INCH-...rd!85013!US!-1

So I can get a more "plush" ride and a little more tire on there. I'm not sure if they would clear the RWD brakes though.
You may want to double check with the dealer to see if 18s will fit. Last time I remember driving around AZ and the roads out there are much more smoother than out here in CA. I would probably have it set at sport plus if I was living there.
Old 05-23-18 | 01:55 PM
SFPeterHom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Now that you have purchased a 2015 GS350 F Sport with 19" asymmetric wheels, sports tires, firm coil springs and roll bars across the range, and electronic variable suspension with a firmer Sports Plus Mode - the only way to soften the ride is to trade-in, and purchase and ES350.

Beyond that, what tires are you using? Tires may have a very small effect because the asymmetric low profile rear tires leaves little choice in tire models.
You could use slightly lower early morning cold tire pressures below the manufacturer's recommendations on the door label, but once again, the ultra low profile asymmetric rear tires leaves little choice for using lower tire pressures because ultra low profiles require higher tire pressures.
The F Sport uses larger dual caliper front brake rotors, so 19" front wheels are a must, unless you want to replace the brake rotors and brake calipers too.
The F Sport also uses asymmetric wide low profile rear wheels, with lower profile tires that require a stiffer side wall and higher tire pressures.
The entire GS range is fitted with firmer coil springs and firmer roll bars with the same part numbers - to minimize weight transfer to the outside tires to maximize grip.
The F Sport has a stiffer software set up on Sports Plus Mode than the regular luxury model with electronic variable dampers.

Springs give compliance, but reduces weight transfer to the outside tires to maximize grip.
Roll bars make the vehicle behave more like a non-independent suspension vehicle.
Dampers [nee shock absorbers] provide control from floatiness; floatiness is low frequency vertical oscillations, while a firm damper gives a high frequency of vertical oscillations - which is tiring to the human body.

The GS also uses very firm seats front and rear, across the entire range.

Aftermarket springs and dampers are normally as stiff, if not stiffer than OEM, because softer springs and dampers give rise to lateral roll and longitudinal pitching which has to be engineered into each model, and this engineering is too expensive for aftermarket suppliers.

That's why I think it best that you trade-in early for an ES.

Had you purchased the 2015 GS350 Luxury, with smaller front brake rotors, you could at least down size to symmetric 18" wheels, with compliant sporting luxury touring Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires, and although this model has the same springs, roll bar, and electronic damper part numbers as the F Sport model, the normal luxury model has a softer damper software settings on Sport Plus Mode.
However, note that the 2015 GS350 Luxury still has firm springs, firm roll bars, firmish dampers, and firm seats - across the range.
The current model 2012-19 4GS was one of the first of the recent models to use 2009 incoming President Akio Toyoda's policy of "No more boring cars".

The ES is a similar size exteriorly, but with more interior space and a softer ride, though the ES is also a more down market model, with less features too.
The only other way is to go E Class or 5 Series etc, but then you don't have the long term reliability.
Nothing is perfect...
The car has 19 in P-Zeros, brand new.

I was actually looking for a ES300h with the ultra luxury package which has the extended leg seat option but I couldn't find one. When I came across the GS F sport, the sales guy told me this is the only model that has this feature and I later found out it was also available on the luxury package of the non F sport. If I recall correctly, there wasn't one available for sale so I never came across it.

The issues with the pot holes and uneven road surfaces are mainly local roads so I'll just deal with it.

I'm stuck with a race car for now I guess
Old 05-23-18 | 02:21 PM
drgrant
Instructor

All GS350's are "stiff" thats part and parcel of the car. I don't find it unbearable but anyone who wants an old school Lexus LS or ES squish-ride isn't going to get it in a GS.

That said, in a place like CA IMHO a GS would fare far above average... because of the lack of really cold temps and ****ed up roads. If you didn't live in SF it probably wouldn't be bothering you so
much. It's just those city streets can get stupid.

-Mike
Old 05-23-18 | 03:59 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SFPeterHom
The car has 19 in P-Zeros, brand new.

I was actually looking for a ES300h with the ultra luxury package which has the extended leg seat option but I couldn't find one. When I came across the GS F sport, the sales guy told me this is the only model that has this feature and I later found out it was also available on the luxury package of the non F sport. If I recall correctly, there wasn't one available for sale so I never came across it.

The issues with the pot holes and uneven road surfaces are mainly local roads so I'll just deal with it.

I'm stuck with a race car for now I guess
If you're after a comfortable soft compliant ride, the stay clear of:
(1) The ES350 with the Ultra Luxury Package which uses the firmer suspension and different part numbers, together with the "Plus 1" 18" alloy wheels and tires.
(2) The ES300h comes standard with the Ultra Luxury Package with firmer suspension part numbers and 18" alloy wheels.

2012-18 6ES suspension part number comparison here @ Post #12:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ml#post8591820

Your best bet is the ES350 base model with 17" alloy wheels.
You can use Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus for a soft and quiet ride.
The ES alloy wheels pictured below are 17".

I often have to take the longer route in my GS Luxury with 18" Pirelli Cinturatos & slightly lower tire pressures - just to avoid bad road surfaces.
I was going to trade-in for an ES350, but the tiny LCD screen, and the cheaper interior leather and cheaper plastics threw me off.
I've long disliked the ES's FWD and long front overhang.
There is simply no perfect car.

One of my Indian friends normally gets my advice before he buys a car.
Two years ago he dived into a 2010 Mercedes E350 with AMG Sports Pack that includes asymmetric wheels on Bridgestone Pontenza RE050A sports tires, and he quietly regrets it - a very loud ride, and he is unwilling to purchase used symmetric alloys, or aftermarket alloys.
It is difficult to make the wide & low profile rear wheels/tires ride well due to the increase in the unsprung mass; the heavier the wheel/tire combo, the bumpier the ride.
To ride well, ideally the wheel/tire combo must be as light as possible to throw less momentum onto the body of the car after impact, while the body of the car must be as heavy as possible to lower the frequency of vertical oscillation [bobbing up and down] after impact with a bump.

If you do some research, you might be able to fit a 4GS seat with leg extender into an ES, because the seat rails are usually standard dimensions.

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-23-18 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-23-18 | 05:42 PM
eddie420

All great suggestions but not realistic.

Definitely get stock 18"s with a larger sidewall will make the ride quieter and should clear the large front F sport breaks calipers.

Or go with aftermarket that provide more space but then again, it's spending extra $.
Old 05-23-18 | 06:22 PM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by er34
ECO doesn't alter suspension settings. Only Sport+ makes a difference in an F-Sport car.
Wrong. My claims are based on actual real-life testing on both our 2015 GS F-Sport and 2018 GS F-Sport. Lexus claims that the only changes that occur are in Sport+ but from actually driving the cars and testing out the differences between each mode thoroughly and in repeated conditions, that's not what's actually happening. I stand by my earlier claims.

Each of the 4 drive modes (not including Custom) have different settings for AVS dampening, VGRS effort and response, ECU/throttle mapping & even brake pedal feel (brake pedal feel changes I've noticed on our 2018 but not our 2015, however).

Last edited by signdetres; 05-23-18 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-23-18 | 06:37 PM
ReggieFish
Rookie

Can anyone here comment on the ride difference in firmness between an F Sports and 2015 luxury that comes with 19" wheels?
Old 05-23-18 | 09:09 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ReggieFish
Can anyone here comment on the ride difference in firmness between an F Sports and 2015 luxury that comes with 19" wheels?
With the 2015 Luxury on OEM Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050, and the 2015 F Sport on OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050A sports tires, and both models in Normal Mode - the F Sport is both a little firmer riding due to the asymmetric ultra low profile rear wheel/tire combo, and much noisier riding due to the tires.

I never tested both on Sport+ mode, but apparently the software of the F Sport is tuned for firmer damping.
In the 2nd and 3rd photos below, notice how the F Sport has a firmer Sport+ mode by applying a smaller valve opening inside the shock absorber.
The firmer the damping, the higher the frequency of vertical oscillations.
Damping is used to control "bounce" as a vehicle bobs up and down after hitting a bump until all the energy is dissipated - it is the spring & roll bars that controls roll, however the firmer the roll bar, the more the vehicle behaves like a non-independent suspension vehicle...

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-24-18 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-23-18 | 09:52 PM
Taz68
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ReggieFish
I have a '14 RWD Luxury with 19' rims that originally was equipped with Dunlop Sportmax tires. I test drove 2 RWD F-Sports before purchasing it. I noticed very little if any difference in ride quality and road noise between my Luxury GS and the two F-Sports. My test drives, however, were over relatively smooth roads. Some more potholes, ruts, or cracks might have revealed more of a difference.
Old 05-24-18 | 07:56 AM
Deadserial
Rookie

I guess If you want to test your “avs changes in all settings” theory, someone can just pull the motors off the top of the struts and see if they rotate when you cycle through settings.
Old 05-24-18 | 09:16 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Deadserial
I guess If you want to test your “avs changes in all settings” theory, someone can just pull the motors off the top of the struts and see if they rotate when you cycle through settings.
However, you might have to be travelling with some speed before the valve motor is actuated to change the valve position inside the dampers to increase damping force.

Old 05-24-18 | 07:30 PM
SFPeterHom
Driver School Candidate

Default This setup?

Anyone tried this setup on the F sport?
I don't think anyone brought this up yet but how about instead of going from 235 to 245 for fronts and 265 to 275 for rears, try going from 40 series to 45 or 50 series for the front and 35 series to 40 or 45 series in the rear? Wider tires will provide more grip and better handling but I don't see how that will help absorb the road imperfections. But instead thicker tires should provide more cushion and can possibly absorb more of the bumps. Or maybe increase the width and thickness of the tires at the same time? I am running on stock springs and shocks so it might work? I have no plans to lower the car.

Last edited by SFPeterHom; 05-24-18 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Upload pic

Quick Reply: Bumpy Ride