GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 to 2018 GS350 F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 08:46 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 2013 to 2018 GS350 F-Sport

Hey All - as many of you saw in other posts, I recently sold my 2013 F-Sport AWD and just picked up my 2018 AWD a few days. Thought I'd post up a few pictures - we got back in town late yesterday afternoon so gave it a quick wash and wax. Will eventually get better pictures in the coming weeks.

Picked it up in Michigan and drove to Indiana for a few days, then came back to North Carolina last night. Initial thoughts on the car in my first 1,000 miles compared to the '13: besides the obvious cosmetic updates on the interior (dash, slight change to the center clock, different shifter, etc.) and exterior (grill, folding mirrors, tail lights, etc.), the car is mostly the same - same seats, same radio and climate controls, and same overall feel. I couldn't tell a big difference in the new engine and transmission, although I haven't really driven it hard just yet. I like the full screen navigation option, and the Mark Levinson stereo is surprisingly better in the new car vs. the '13, but still not as booming as it was in my '06 IS350. The radar cruise is something that will take getting used to (at least for me since I tend to set it go vs. letting the car slow me down as I near others). The biggest change for me is the voice commands - not nearly as good as Apply CarPlay, but a good step in the right direction.

For now, here are a few pics after a quick wash & wax last night. If anyone is considering upgrading like I did, hit me up if there are any questions I can help answer in the meantime. Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

The following 3 users liked this post by IndyIS:
Boomin (05-31-18), corpnupe85 (06-08-18), FSportOnly (07-01-20)
Old 05-28-18, 09:47 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats! Beautiful car. How does the smoothness of the 2013's 6-speed tranny compare with the 2018's 8-speed? Any difference in gas mileage?
Old 05-28-18, 10:28 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Thanks! This is my favorite color (my IS was this color as well).

Initially I thought the 8-speed was smoother than the 6-speed, but as I was driving the through the ups and downs of the mountains the car seemed to have a harder time finding the right gear so rpms would rev to 4k, then give a bit of a jerk as it shifted. I've done this drive numerous times in my 2013 and never noticed that much jumpiness. But, outside of the mountains, to me the 8-speed is smoother than the 6-speed in Normal driving mode. I haven't tried the other modes yet.
Old 05-28-18, 10:45 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyIS
Thanks! This is my favorite color (my IS was this color as well).

Initially I thought the 8-speed was smoother than the 6-speed, but as I was driving the through the ups and downs of the mountains the car seemed to have a harder time finding the right gear so rpms would rev to 4k, then give a bit of a jerk as it shifted. I've done this drive numerous times in my 2013 and never noticed that much jumpiness. But, outside of the mountains, to me the 8-speed is smoother than the 6-speed in Normal driving mode. I haven't tried the other modes yet.
Exactly my experience. I never got a chance to drive the 6-speed in the 4GS but drove the 6-speed in the ES350 and it was noticeably smoother. The 10-speed tranny in the new LS500 seems to be less smooth than the outgoing model too: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-question.html

Last edited by bb700092; 05-28-18 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Thanks to signdetres for pointing out the 2018 GS AWD still uses the 6-speed tranny which was not my understanding.
Old 05-28-18, 10:49 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

The 2018 GS350 with AWD doesn't get the 8-speed and still uses the 6-speed. The 8-speed transmission is used on 2015+ RWD vehicles but nonetheless, congrats on the new ride! It's a beauty!
The following users liked this post:
bb700092 (05-28-18)
Old 05-28-18, 10:59 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Originally Posted by signdetres
The 2018 GS350 with AWD doesn't get the 8-speed and still uses the 6-speed. The 8-speed transmission is used on 2015+ RWD vehicles but nonetheless, congrats on the new ride! It's a beauty!
Thanks! Thanks for clarifying the transmission as well. I just looked at an email from the sales guy when initially talking about the car and he sited the 8-speed so I didn't think anything of it. But looking at the window sticker, and your note, it's pretty obvious he was wrong and I was wrong to not double check.

So must be something different in the engine vs. the 2013 since it's noticeably not as smooth. My wife even commented on it, and she doesn't usually notice these things. Regardless, I'm a fan of the car, and once the newness wears off, I'll put the pedal to the floor and drive it harder to really tell how different the car is.
Old 05-28-18, 12:33 PM
SpicedRum
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats on the new ride...very sharp looking color as well.

I've only driven 17 or 18 AWD 6 speeds, and with only 1950 miles on my '18 350 AWD f sport experience is more limited to many on this site.
I think the tranny is pretty smooth in normal and slightly sporting driving, but in Sport + mode and an "atitude" it does feel a little jerkier when holding gears longer and shifting at higher rpms.

Didn't feel anything is wrong with it--with the higher rpms there is going to be more torque and more aggressive throttle by wire mapping will increase that sensation, IMO.

P.S...if your triple beam headlight alignment seems too low, join the club. I had to adjust mine up by turning the adjustment bolts 1 1/6 turns counterclockwise. Mark the bolt head top surface with a sharpie before turning for your reference point.

Again congrats on the nice ride!
IndyIS (05-29-18)
Old 05-28-18, 07:29 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Thanks! Thanks for clarifying the transmission as well. I just looked at an email from the sales guy when initially talking about the car and he sited the 8-speed so I didn't think anything of it. But looking at the window sticker, and your note, it's pretty obvious he was wrong and I was wrong to not double check.

So must be something different in the engine vs. the 2013 since it's noticeably not as smooth. My wife even commented on it, and she doesn't usually notice these things. Regardless, I'm a fan of the car, and once the newness wears off, I'll put the pedal to the floor and drive it harder to really tell how different the car is.
The 2018 uses the 2GR-FKS motor while the 2015 and older models used the 2GR-FSE motor. Similar motors but enhanced/revised on the newer models. Personally, we have 2 GS F-Sports in the household with both motors and I prefer the 2GR-FKS in the 2018 as it feels more lively and responsive and like it has a touch more low-end torque. Both motors love to rev though and pull quite strongly at freeway speeds.
Old 05-29-18, 04:30 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 551 Likes on 400 Posts

Love the triple beams! Bought my 18 F-Sport in December and love it.
Old 05-29-18, 06:43 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Originally Posted by signdetres
The 2018 uses the 2GR-FKS motor while the 2015 and older models used the 2GR-FSE motor. Similar motors but enhanced/revised on the newer models. Personally, we have 2 GS F-Sports in the household with both motors and I prefer the 2GR-FKS in the 2018 as it feels more lively and responsive and like it has a touch more low-end torque. Both motors love to rev though and pull quite strongly at freeway speeds.
I agree, the motor in the 2018 feels more lively than the prior when in Normal driving mode. I think the best way (for me) to describe the difference is that the new motor is a smoother version of the old motor when driving in Sport mode - in the 2013 the engine was definitely more responsive in Sport mode, but shifting wasn't necessarily all that smooth. I drove the 2013 in Sport mode almost always for the pedal response, even though I didn't necessarily want the up/down shifting with a sporty feel in every day driving.
Old 05-29-18, 06:46 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
P.S...if your triple beam headlight alignment seems too low, join the club. I had to adjust mine up by turning the adjustment bolts 1 1/6 turns counterclockwise. Mark the bolt head top surface with a sharpie before turning for your reference point.

Again congrats on the nice ride!
Thanks for the tip on aiming the headlights - very clever to mark the bolt with a sharpie, wish I had thought of that when aiming my old jeep cherokee years ago. I read on the RX forum that adjustments needed to be made because they were too low, but didn't realize the GS was the same. I have't driven at night yet, but looking forward to it and I'm sure I'll be adjusting the headlights as well.
Old 05-30-18, 09:48 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great color choice and I like the GS refresh design!
IndyIS (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 11:59 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Originally Posted by Wunko
Great color choice and I like the GS refresh design!
Thanks! I'm a big fan of the color (was the color of my IS) so was happy to see Lexus brought it back for the GS. I wasn't a big fan of the new front end when it first came out, but it's grown on me over the past year and I like it.
Old 05-30-18, 09:15 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

Thanks! I'm a big fan of the color (was the color of my IS) so was happy to see Lexus brought it back for the GS. I wasn't a big fan of the new front end when it first came out, but it's grown on me over the past year and I like it.
I think the aggressive design on the new front end fits the GS model well.
What is this color called?
Old 05-31-18, 04:41 AM
IndyIS
Driver

The color is Smoky Granite Mica. I think it's best described as a color somewhere between Nebula Gray and Caviar. Gives a hint of the sexiness that black offers, with some dirt hiding and ease of waxing qualities of silver.

Quick Reply: 2013 to 2018 GS350 F-Sport