GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Metallic clink noise from front wheel assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 10:02 PM
Nvicta
Pit Crew

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Metallic clink noise from front wheel assembly

i picked up my first lexus, a cpo 2015 gs350 f sport with 31k . I've been a Toyota fan my entire driving career- 26 years now. Always a Tacoma owner, I've forever wanted a rear wheel drive v6 Toyota sedan but by golly, they just don't make any. My only option was this car. So far I've loved it!

For 2000 miles I've noticed a metallic sounding crunchy/squeaky clink every time I apply the brake, let off the brake or go over rough patches in the road. It got to be where it's all I think about while traveling at slow speeds. I call it parking lot speed. So today I decide to use the almighty warranty and take her in to service for a look see. The shop foreman hops in and sure enough we can produce the sound. He has no idea what could be making this sound. So while I wait, I walk to the local stores and I spot a tech driving my car. Real friendly like, I flag him down to see what he thinks. He's eager to say there's a bulletin on the two piece rotor advising some are constructed with play and advise replacing them with a Lexus one piece rotor. Bam! I'm happy buuuutttt....

So I talk to my service writer who says normally they would replace this on warranty if all original parts were still onboard. However, my car had the brakes done (at this dealer) before it hit the used lot so it no longer qualifies for such benefit? The service manager said he would request an exception claim through Lexus but thinks it won't be approved. Not an enormous issue, but damn. The car sounds like it's broken with a new part and it appears like Lexus doesn't want to fix their own problem.

I guess i could try taking it to or calling another service dept if I get no dice. Anywho, if you hear similar type noises coming from your front end at slow speeds it could be you have crappily assembled oem two piece rotors.

-John

Last edited by Nvicta; 05-31-18 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 06:38 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

It could be either the 2 piece rotors(which is a TSB item), or it could be the brake dust shield scraping against the edge of the rotor when a corner is loaded in a certain way(like in a turn), which is easily fixed by bending it back a little bit.
Old 06-01-18, 12:27 PM
Nvicta
Pit Crew

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

Ah, thank you for your information. In this case I'm thinking it is the first one. My noise occurs while going straight. but definitely good to know.
Old 06-06-18, 06:30 PM
Etep
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same noise issue which at first Lexus dealership I took it in to could not replicate the problem. It came to a point where the noise coming from front wheel assembly became annoying so I took it to another Lexus dealership during its service maintenance. I mentioned it to the tech and he rode with me to replicate the noise. We drove the car into a parking structure where the noise can easily be heard away from highway noise and sure enough the tech heard the clicking noise when breaking or coming to a slow stop. Come to find out upon detailed inspection, he said the brake clips on the pads where put on "backwards" (it was a CPO vehicle) creating the "clicking" noise. I assume that whoever the technician that replaced the brake pads was rushing and put the brake clips backwards. Long story short... the noise is gone:-)
Old 06-06-18, 06:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Etep
I had the same noise issue which at first Lexus dealership I took it in to could not replicate the problem. It came to a point where the noise coming from front wheel assembly became annoying so I took it to another Lexus dealership during its service maintenance. I mentioned it to the tech and he rode with me to replicate the noise. We drove the car into a parking structure where the noise can easily be heard away from highway noise and sure enough the tech heard the clicking noise when breaking or coming to a slow stop. Come to find out upon detailed inspection, he said the brake clips on the pads where put on "backwards" (it was a CPO vehicle) creating the "clicking" noise. I assume that whoever the technician that replaced the brake pads was rushing and put the brake clips backwards. Long story short... the noise is gone:-)
Have you checked the Lexus History on your car (registering your car's VIN # online) to see if a Lexus dealership actually did the brake work on your car, or if it was done elsewhere? I'd say it's a pretty good bet that a Lexus service center did not do the brake work where the clips were installed incorrectly. If true, so much for the previous owner's DIY or independent mechanic's workmanship.