GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2016+ GS or 2019 ES

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 01:44 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Agree - that doesn't look to be the case as most publications have indicated front-wheel drive for the ES. That would just be a typo...
Old 06-04-18, 01:46 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

That's one heck of a typo. You can see the FWD proportions by just looking at the side profile. RWD...LMAO...
Old 06-04-18, 01:52 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

That's a huge typo. Though the rear seat does have a footwell hump in the middle for a potential future AWD version or at least for the exhausts, it is not a RWD vehicle. It shares a platform with the Camry/Avalon. Here's a quote from the press release on Lexus' website:

The starting point was the newly developed GA-K chassis. It’s an exceptionally rigid front-wheel drive chassis, rivalling the GA-L rear-wheel drive platform used for the LC coupe and LS sedan in terms of torsional stiffness.
Old 06-04-18, 01:57 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

even if that were the case. I think i still like the GS interior and exterior better. The ES to me seems like IS quality where its just the entry level effort but it just looks like a cheap LS setup. It does have apple carplay and LFA gauges/***** but thats not enough to replace the GS for me. I think i'd be a good IS replacement though cause I'm not sure how much cheaper they can make a baby LS/LC interior look.
Old 06-04-18, 02:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by baconRx
even if that were the case. I think i still like the GS interior and exterior better. The ES to me seems like IS quality where its just the entry level effort but it just looks like a cheap LS setup. It does have apple carplay and LFA gauges/***** but thats not enough to replace the GS for me. I think i'd be a good IS replacement though cause I'm not sure how much cheaper they can make a baby LS/LC interior look.
As a FWD car, it just can't replace the IS either. Plus, this is nearly a foot longer than the IS.
Old 06-04-18, 03:12 PM
2jS160
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
If that's your photo I hope you looked in the back and saw the non-existent transmission tunnel.
Whoa with all the pitch forks & torches! It's not my pic but shared by an automotive journalist that attended the Greenwich, CT Concours d'Elegance.
Old 06-04-18, 04:02 PM
baconRx
Instructor

I hope the journalists pointed that out to lexus, but i wonder if all the reviews that come out next week will mention it.

I know the EX is bigger and FWD and can't replace the IS in that aspect but im just curious if they'll just do it because its still entry level and are they currently claim it goes up against that class. We all know the only thing the ES really is the Acura TLX/RLX which really isn't competition. Only time will tell what the future holds but I hope they continue to invest in the IS and GS because they have their toyota cars that are the real money makers for them.
Old 06-04-18, 05:35 PM
Astrokat
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You could always test drive the new Avalon - it has the same dna as the new ES.
Old 06-04-18, 09:09 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus will not get rid of the IS. they sell so many of them
Old 06-05-18, 07:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tea
Lexus will not get rid of the IS. they sell so many of them
Agreed. Very important segment.
Old 06-07-18, 06:04 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm sure many of you have already seen the write up from Motor Trend on the new ES (link below). I have to admit, it was a little disappointing to read, specifically around the F-Sport version. Not that I was expecting GS sportiness (and sort of glad because it reaffirms my decision on the GS), but would have been nice if the ES F-Sport was bad-a$$er. Almost waters down the F-Sport line (to me). Anyway, good reading for a Thursday.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...AC891948D843D8
The following users liked this post:
corpnupe85 (06-08-18)
Old 06-07-18, 06:30 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyIS
I'm sure many of you have already seen the write up from Motor Trend on the new ES (link below). I have to admit, it was a little disappointing to read, specifically around the F-Sport version. Not that I was expecting GS sportiness (and sort of glad because it reaffirms my decision on the GS), but would have been nice if the ES F-Sport was bad-a$$er. Almost waters down the F-Sport line (to me). Anyway, good reading for a Thursday.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...AC891948D843D8
more bad-*** doesn't do anything to help Lexus target market with this vehicle though. The sporty touches in styling and F-sport tuning make it more appealing to younger buyers while at the same time not entirely alienating the population of older people and those who just want a step up from the Toyota brand while maintaining the Camry/Avalon drive-ability.

What Lexus has done with the ES makes sense even if we dont like it!
Old 06-07-18, 06:57 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
more bad-*** doesn't do anything to help Lexus target market with this vehicle though. The sporty touches in styling and F-sport tuning make it more appealing to younger buyers while at the same time not entirely alienating the population of older people and those who just want a step up from the Toyota brand while maintaining the Camry/Avalon drive-ability.

What Lexus has done with the ES makes sense even if we dont like it!
I agree about the target market as it exists today. But why make a F-Sport line that doesn't do much more than what could have been done with a "limited" or "luxury" badge instead. If you look at the F-Sport in all other models, there's more than just minor tuning and appearance. Nonetheless, I still like the new look of the ES as I think it gets to take a bigger step away from being a fancy Camry or Avalon
Old 06-07-18, 07:54 AM
baconRx
Instructor

The ES faces tough competition from the Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Audi A4, BMW 3 Series, and Acura TLX. But the brand is convinced its foray into sporty will pay dividends. And no, Motor Trend has no plans to sell puppies.....
Lexus executives aren’t worried about a sporty ES encroaching into GS territory. As they see it, they’re providing more choice by taking the ES (Executive Sedan) known for luxury, quiet, and comfort and pumping up the driving dynamics. It’s part of a larger initiative to make the Lexus brand more dynamic, led by the LC coupe with its virtuous exhaust notes.
its still odd that they d/c the GS in europe and say it competes with the class below, not in the mid size like the car it is. I wonder how many will be made with the triple beam headlights. only hybrids maybe? They've been an option on the GS since 2016 but they're a rare sight and only on the AWD if you find one.
Old 06-07-18, 08:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The Car and Driver review is quite positive.
In a dynamic sense, the ES300h and ES350 represent business as usual, allowing substantial body motions and what’s-your-hurry handling in exchange for maximized comfort. This would be okay if Lexus was content to continue courting the same sort of buyers as the previous six generations. However, the charter for the seventh generation included a corporate mandate to give the ES more emotion, to make it a car that would be not only more exciting to look at but also more exciting to drive, according to Lexus. Enter the F Sport.

Although its powertrain is the same as that of the standard ES350, the F Sport feels much more the athlete, thanks primarily to suspension tuning, highlighted by adaptive dampers. Developed by KYB, the new Adaptive Variable Suspension employs damping that responds rapidly to changing road-surface conditions based on multiple presets, and it’s most noticeable in the Sport and Sport+ driving modes. The action is an adaptation of conventional shock technology, with a new internal valving system. The upshot is an ES sedan with level cornering attitudes, eager responses, and precise, tactile steering, all of which is augmented by 19-inch wheels fitted with available summer performance tires. It adds up to the first ES that can claim to be a sports sedan with somewhat of a straight face.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review

Quick Reply: 2016+ GS or 2019 ES