Automatic Wipers not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-18, 06:31 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Automatic Wipers not working

Well I'm about to give up.

I have 2013 GS350 and the automatic wipers have been broken for quite some time. The issue is that when using the wipers some times they suddenly stop working. They move a millimeter from their resting position and then suddenly freeze in place. I turn auto on and off and nothing happens. I move the stick up nothing, down twice or all the way the wipers start working in high only. Then sometimes suddenly the wipers start working normal. Sometimes the wipers will freeze mid stroke on the windshield.

I went to Lexus told me my battery that was 3 months old was bad and they replaced my battery and sent me on my way. Only to have the issue come back. Pissed I tried changing the silicon pad, rain sensor, wiper relay, and that's it. I'm not sure what else I can change.

If I can't figure this out, I'm planning to trade this car in. I'm really pissed over this issue, and I'm more pissed Lexus wasted a perfectly good battery and sold me theirs for no reason.

I could go back but I honestly don't trust them to fix it anymore. I really love this car, but these wipers are starting to really make me question if I want to keep this thing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-18, 11:34 PM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my 2014 RWD does exactly the same... Still no solution my side...
Old 06-04-18, 05:22 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Someone else mentioned this a while back. Will have to search to know for certain if it's the same thing, but I recall mention of a TSB for a bad servo motor mentioned as the fix.
Old 06-05-18, 12:01 PM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Tsb.......?
Old 06-05-18, 01:20 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtkotze
Tsb.......?
Technical Service Bulletin

http://www.bbbind.com/tsb-wiring-diagrams/
Old 06-06-18, 01:49 PM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Swear I've been having this same exact issue for a year now on my 2013! Updates?
Old 06-06-18, 10:48 PM
Jtkotze
Rookie

gonna visit my dealer to see what they say. worked OK again for a day. back to its old tricks today
Old 06-08-18, 02:03 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Ok well here is an update for all you fellas with this issue.

So far:

I have replaced the relay under the hood for the wipers.
I have replaced the silicon pad between the windshield and rain sensor.
I have replaced the rain sensor with a sensor from ebay.

None of these things have worked.

The only thing I can think of now is that the wiper stalk is bad. I just got one off of ebay and will be installing it soon. I will report back with the results. If this doesn't work then it's off to the auction with this thing.
Old 06-11-18, 04:38 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Ok here is the update.

I changed the wiper stalk. Actually I just removed the wires to the old one and plugged in the new one. Turned on the car, same problem. The new stalk is going back.

I poked around with the relays again and found a fuse (I think this might be my fault) was put back in a empty place. The 7.5amp fuse under the hood was in a blank, so I moved it back. This one was labeled "WIP-S". Not sure what that is about. But anyway, now the issue is that when I try to turn on the wipers, the AUTO modes does not work at all now. The light does not come on. If I hold the AUTO button and let it blink 5 times to get to intermittent mode they now work. So thank god for that.

Now the question is why heck are the Auto Rain Sensor not working?

I guess at least my wipers are working in manual intermittent mode. So I guess I can hang on to the car for now. I'll keep working on this issue. I really want the Auto mode working again. I'll wait til I can find my trim removal tools. I can't seem to find them.

I'll keep you guys updated on my progress. I might cave in and let Lexus fix it. Although last time they left me a bit sour when they just replaced the battery and didn't fix the issue.
Old 06-11-18, 11:06 PM
Jtkotze
Rookie

I think the fuse you moved is a spare... Perhaps you had a blown fuse that was removed but never replaced?
Old 06-12-18, 02:37 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Mine booked in for Friday 22nd. Will revert with findings to assist others with same issue...
Old 06-12-18, 10:16 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

I think I will double check the fuses. I think it's strange it suddenly stopped working in Auto after I found the missing fuse. I also have a diagram too so I'll go and check them all today and see what I can find.

Yes please let me know what the dealer says.
Old 06-13-18, 08:22 AM
Renrutjw
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I experienced the exact same symptoms and out of frustration one morning I was cycling the stalk and I "think" holding down the auto button. Suddenly the auto indicator light began to blink (maybe 5 times) and it seems to have reset the system. It now works like it's supposed to, auto works and no more frozen blades in the middle of the windshield. Not a single issue since and it was more than a month ago. I'm not going to monkey around with it to try and replicate what I did - leaving well enough alone. If you figure out how to get that light to blink let us know.
The following users liked this post:
boostinsc (01-04-21)
Old 06-13-18, 08:39 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Tried it now. Didnt work for me. Can get the lights blinking but the symptoms persist. Ps car was not running. Was switched on though
Old 06-13-18, 08:51 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

To get the AUTO light blinking, first start the car and stay in park wait about 10 seconds. Then make sure the AUTO light is off. Then press and hold the AUTO button and it should blink 5 times. Now when you turn it on it will be in intermittent mode. Basically when you press AUTO the wipers turn on in a intermittent manner and you can adjust the frequency by rotating the dial in the stalk. To switch back to AUTO do the same thing press and hold the AUTO button, let it blink 5 times and it's back to Automatic mode.

Jtkotze, I'm eager to see what the dealer has to say about your issue. I think I have narrowed mine down to a electrical issue with the fuse or relays. I haven't gone back out to look. Thankfully intermittent mode is working for me reliably so worse case I'm stuck with that, which I can live with. But I'm going to figure this wiper stuff out. I'd like automatic to work since I paid for them.
The following users liked this post:
boostinsc (01-04-21)

Quick Reply: Automatic Wipers not working