GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Different tire brands on front and back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 03:20 PM
thejefftom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different tire brands on front and back?

Hi All,
I have a 2013 GS350 FSport RWD. It's time to replace the back tires, but the fronts have plenty of wear left on them. They are all the OEM Dunlops. I'd love to replace the rears with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I hear great things.

The question is, will I have issues having the Dunlops on the front, and Michelins on the back? Do I need to replace all four?

Thanks for your help!
Jeff
Old 06-18-18, 03:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,513 Posts

You should replace all four tires with the same tire. But, unless you drive aggressively (near the limits) you should be okay with the two different tire brands (carcass design, compound, tread design, etc.) as long as the different brands are not on the same axle.
Old 06-18-18, 05:41 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

^ agree with bclexus. All 4 should be the same so that you have the same tread wear and driving pattern, but most of us aren't race car drivers so you should be fine to get by with 2 different brands.
Old 06-19-18, 12:25 AM
NVRLAND
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I disagree with the above. I prefer different tires in the front vs the back. I prefer tires in the back to grip more but the front to be smoother and quieter for daily driving. Im running hankooks in the rear and michelins in the front. As long as you have same 2 tires in the front and then the other set in the rear the same, youll be okay. Its all personal preference to be honest.
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (06-19-18)
Old 06-19-18, 03:49 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by NVRLAND
I disagree with the above. I prefer different tires in the front vs the back. I prefer tires in the back to grip more but the front to be smoother and quieter for daily driving. Im running hankooks in the rear and michelins in the front. As long as you have same 2 tires in the front and then the other set in the rear the same, youll be okay. Its all personal preference to be honest.
^^^^ This

OP, the only thing that really matters in the end, is that the tire circumferences are the same all the way around (if you have an AWD), unless your car is RWD, which then allows you to have different sizes between front and back. NVRLAND is 100% correct. Conversely, a cheap tire can make everything feel and sound like crap, 2 different tires on the front or rear can sometimes affect driving experience.

For 4 decades I've driven RWD and have had different tires between front and back, with the back tires usually being between 2-4 sizes larger than the fronts. My other car, a RWD INFINITI G35 has tire sizes that are 4 times larger (i.e., taller and wider) than OEM on front and 6 times larger in the rear. Much better ride...smoother, better handling, no mpg changes, speedo is off by 3MPH at 60.

Last edited by ShrinkDoc; 06-19-18 at 04:01 AM.
Old 06-19-18, 04:42 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Cimabeu
^^^^ This

OP, the only thing that really matters in the end, is that the tire circumferences are the same all the way around (if you have an AWD), unless your car is RWD, which then allows you to have different sizes between front and back. NVRLAND is 100% correct. Conversely, a cheap tire can make everything feel and sound like crap, 2 different tires on the front or rear can sometimes affect driving experience.

For 4 decades I've driven RWD and have had different tires between front and back, with the back tires usually being between 2-4 sizes larger than the fronts. My other car, a RWD INFINITI G35 has tire sizes that are 4 times larger (i.e., taller and wider) than OEM on front and 6 times larger in the rear. Much better ride...smoother, better handling, no mpg changes, speedo is off by 3MPH at 60.
The OP is asking about different tire brands (front & rear), not different tire sizes.
Old 06-19-18, 05:39 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

^^^^ This

Originally Posted by bclexus
The OP is asking about different tire brands (front & rear), not different tire sizes.
And yet, somehow, you failed to see that his question was addressed altogether in my response. I hope you feel better.
Old 06-19-18, 07:51 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 296 Likes on 220 Posts

And yet, somehow, you failed to see that his question was addressed altogether in my response. I hope you feel better.
To be fair to BC, it is not clear at all in your post of your intention of addressing both points. All of the context in both of your paragraphs refers to tire sizes and makes no mention of brands. Even your first sentence, after the highlight refers only to tire sizes. This frames your paragraph to refer to sizes only, and not brands. Your entire second paragraph is only about sizes.

Your post definitely could have been more clear.
Old 06-19-18, 08:02 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by np20412
To be fair to BC, it is not clear at all in your post of your intention of addressing both points. All of the context in both of your paragraphs refers to tire sizes and makes no mention of brands. Even your first sentence, after the highlight refers only to tire sizes. This frames your paragraph to refer to sizes only, and not brands. Your entire second paragraph is only about sizes.

Your post definitely could have been more clear.
100% agree! Thank you
Old 06-19-18, 01:45 PM
thejefftom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great feedback all! Thank you!
I'm leaning at just replacing the backs with Michelin's, then waiting on the fronts. Worst case, if the ride is crap, I replace the fronts sooner rather than later.

Thanks again!
Jeff