GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Valved exhaust bypass

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18 | 09:54 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Default Valved exhaust bypass

Is there a retrofit or kit available to add a solenoid valve bypass for the exhaust after the mid pipe and before the mufflers?
If none is available, has anyone done it for the GS350?
Old 06-20-18 | 01:08 PM
Jeevz
Rookie

Kindigit has what you need
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeevz:
Davenlei (06-21-18), jonathancl (06-20-18)
Old 06-21-18 | 08:56 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Interesting. Has anyone tried a cutout solution for the GS or know what the exhaust sounds like when the mufflers are deleted but the rest of the exhaust is stock?

Last edited by Davenlei; 06-21-18 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-21-18 | 09:57 AM
SpicedRum
Rookie

I think you're asking for a ticket, fine and a subsequent repair bill back to stock. It's illegal to modify exhausts in Cali and without mufflers they will hear you coming from a mile away.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=5.&article=2.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/FormsPubs/Fac...ification.html

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but don't shoot the messenger as you live in a state that frowns on it.
The following users liked this post:
Davenlei (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18 | 09:59 AM
enguyen88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
I think you're asking for a ticket, fine and a subsequent repair bill back to stock. It's illegal to modify exhausts in Cali and without mufflers they will hear you coming from a mile away.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=5.&article=2.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/FormsPubs/Fac...ification.html

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but don't shoot the messenger as you live in a state that frowns on it.
Not 100% true. You can modify it as long as you stay under the decibel limit.
Davenlei (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18 | 10:56 AM
SpicedRum
Rookie

That's not what the law says in the case of a bypass valve. An aftermarket muffler that falls under the decibel limit would be in scope, but that's about it. But you are right, I said modify exhaust and that wasn't 100% the case, but in the discussion of a bypass valve is a violation.

a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

So two provisions highlighted would be in violation.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpicedRum:
Davenlei (06-21-18), eddie420 (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18 | 11:11 AM
enguyen88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
That's not what the law says in the case of a bypass valve. An aftermarket muffler that falls under the decibel limit would be in scope, but that's about it. But you are right, I said modify exhaust and that wasn't 100% the case, but in the discussion of a bypass valve is a violation.

a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

So two provisions highlighted would be in violation.
The GS probably sounds like terrible straight piped anyways.

Last edited by enguyen88; 06-21-18 at 11:59 AM.
Davenlei (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18 | 05:19 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

I thought I read somewhere that the GS without mufflers but still has the cats, mid pipe and other stock parts already reduces the sound output quite a bit. Maybe I read wrong.

I do appreciate all the feedback. I am not truly considering doing this mod. Just was wondering what was out there. Where I live, I hear some of the super/hyper cars sound like they have valved exhaust because some are pretty quiet coming down the hill and then jump on it at the main street where the exhaust is suddenly quite loud.

I am too old for a loud exhaust on the street. I had my fill of loud with my rotary car when I was younger. That was loud.... Never got a ticket for exhaust though. Creative low RPM driving around the Police.

Last edited by Davenlei; 06-21-18 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-21-18 | 11:33 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Davenlei
I thought I read somewhere that the GS without mufflers but still has the cats, mid pipe and other stock parts already reduces the sound output quite a bit. Maybe I read wrong.

I do appreciate all the feedback. I am not truly considering doing this mod. Just was wondering what was out there. Where I live, I hear some of the super/hyper cars sound like they have valved exhaust because some are pretty quiet coming down the hill and then jump on it at the main street where the exhaust is suddenly quite loud.

I am too old for a loud exhaust on the street. I had my fill of loud with my rotary car when I was younger. That was loud.... Never got a ticket for exhaust though. Creative low RPM driving around the Police.

Although, some sports cars ex. 911 GTS come with a valved exhaust... and they do over the sound limit when open... Hmm. Honestly, its how you drive it, I have a muffler delete IS F and it sounds quiet still. Enough to keep me alive, but since then I got a valved exhaust! Have fun with the GS!
Davenlei (06-25-18)