GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Center Console Cup Holder loose driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 08:45 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Center Console Cup Holder loose driving me crazy

2014 GS-350 front console cup holder was removed to clean. Pulled straight up and removed rubber mat under it to clean. Now the cup holder does not lock in place and the whole assembly comes out when I lift my water bottle out. So basically the cup holder assembly is loose inside well.
Did I break it? Did I loose a small piece that puts some tension on slot in the removalable piece?
Anyone else have an issue after pulling out the removable piece of the cup holder?

TIA
Old 06-21-18, 09:03 AM
enguyen88
Driver School Candidate

Try flipping the middle divider around.
Old 06-21-18, 09:56 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alta
2014 GS-350 front console cup holder was removed to clean. Pulled straight up and removed rubber mat under it to clean. Now the cup holder does not lock in place and the whole assembly comes out when I lift my water bottle out. So basically the cup holder assembly is loose inside well.
Did I break it? Did I loose a small piece that puts some tension on slot in the removalable piece?
Anyone else have an issue after pulling out the removable piece of the cup holder?

TIA
I had the same issue on my 2013 GS for about an hour before I figure out it was just as enguyen suggested, i didn't put it back in correctly. There should be no clips/springs that hold it in place. Once I had mine in the right way, it didn't slip out easily anymore, but I had this slight ticking/rattle noise that started. After a week of driving me crazy, I pulled the middle piece out again and put a dab of white lithium grease on the ends, reinserted and all was well. I no longer own the car, but suspect it's still just fine. Not exactly what white lithium grease is made for, but it worked
Old 06-21-18, 10:25 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

enguyen88 has it right.

There is no click, it just sits in there., a sort of friction fit. It's exactly the same as a Toyota Camry cupholder part btw, and it only "effectively" goes in correctly, in one direction.

-Mike
Old 06-21-18, 12:28 PM
nmlexus4gs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TIA
I have same problem too, and will like to fix it. Every time i take water bottle, it also comes out with it.
Old 06-25-18, 06:01 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Thanks to those that replied!
On the 2014 GS the holder can only go in one way. The guide rails for the supposed locking mechainsm are different in size, so unless one wants to bust it, its only going in one way. Both the guide rails have indents in them, as well as the holder itself, but they do not line up together or appear to do anything. So it just can not lock in place, hence i was wondering if a part was missing, the locking piece. There is NO wear at all on the plastic pieces, so I have no idea what kept it in place to begin with?

So in the end this is either the wrong holder for this vehicle or the engineers built a locking mechasim that just has no purpose, which is hard to believe.
I see my dealer tomorrow and will ask about it. Else all i can think of is to add some tape or something to the holder to increase the friction so it wouldn’t come out as easily.
Old 06-25-18, 06:38 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Thanks to those that replied!
On the 2014 GS the holder can only go in one way. The guide rails for the supposed locking mechainsm are different in size, so unless one wants to bust it, its only going in one way. Both the guide rails have indents in them, as well as the holder itself, but they do not line up together or appear to do anything. So it just can not lock in place, hence i was wondering if a part was missing, the locking piece. There is NO wear at all on the plastic pieces, so I have no idea what kept it in place to begin with?

So in the end this is either the wrong holder for this vehicle or the engineers built a locking mechasim that just has no purpose, which is hard to believe.
I see my dealer tomorrow and will ask about it. Else all i can think of is to add some tape or something to the holder to increase the friction so it wouldn’t come out as easily.

In mine,

The center piece with the spring loaded tabs that is removable has two cutouts in the plastic. The cupholder itself in the center console has two guide tabs, that lock in with these plastic cutouts to keep the middle removable piece in place; however, the cutouts are specifically designed to prevent the middle piece from sliding left to right when installed, which is what keeps your cup in place. They are not meant to prevent the middle piece from being lifted directly up and out. If you have a large enough bottle or cup that puts too much pressure on the spring loaded tab, then when you lift it up it will remove the middle piece along with it.

Using regular coffee cups and water bottles, I've never once had a problem with this cup holder. I'm certain if I stuck a big gulp or something like that in, it would dislodge the center piece as well.
Old 06-25-18, 07:00 AM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

If you put big cups like a Dunkin Donuts 24oz cup, it may lift the center piece up since it is a tight fit. If it bothers you a lot, take some double sided 3M tape or crazy glue and just glue it on permanently.
Old 06-25-18, 05:29 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

There's an easy fix for this.

Get a can of coke, open it and put it in the cup holder. Don't drink any of it!
Find an empty lot, put it in Sport+ mode, then do a few power slides. Discard the can of coke and let sit overnight. The cup holder piece will now be firmly attached.
Old 06-26-18, 02:39 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by er34
There's an easy fix for this.

Get a can of coke, open it and put it in the cup holder. Don't drink any of it!
Find an empty lot, put it in Sport+ mode, then do a few power slides. Discard the can of coke and let sit overnight. The cup holder piece will now be firmly attached.
i hope you mean discard the empty can of coke cause that's such a waste of coke. Unless you're ant man, I hope you don't get ants either.
Old 06-26-18, 03:26 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
i hope you mean discard the empty can of coke cause that's such a waste of coke. Unless you're ant man, I hope you don't get ants either.
Agree it is a waste of good coke. Use a can of diet coke instead.
Old 06-27-18, 09:25 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
Well, unless you manage to roll over the GS, there's probably going to be at least half a can left.

Free ants is a bonus. They are a great protein supplement.