GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why people do MODS to their car ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 02:59 PM
nmlexus4gs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why people do MODS to their car ?

Sorry for the dumb question.
Why people do mods to their car ? specially, I read many people changing struts and springs and lowering the car. Is it because of the looks or for any other reason?
I can understand people wanting to change the wheels to 19" or 20" or chrome or matt finish etc but i never understood the struts and springs and exhausts etc.
Old 06-21-18, 03:25 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Change the way it looks, change the way it feels, change the way it sounds, change the way it performs.

BMW and Audi make lovely cars that come from the factory closer to what we want, but we want reliable cars, so we start with the closest Lexus makes and go from there. We get much more value for our money and something unique in the process.

The following 2 users liked this post by jonathancl:
endo022 (06-22-18), nmlexus4gs (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 03:28 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by nmlexus4gs
Sorry for the dumb question.
Why people do mods to their car ? specially, I read many people changing struts and springs and lowering the car. Is it because of the looks or for any other reason?
I can understand people wanting to change the wheels to 19" or 20" or chrome or matt finish etc but i never understood the struts and springs and exhausts etc.
Struts/springs = Lowering the ride reduces the body roll, makes it more planted to the road. You can also change how soft or hard your car feels on the road, etc. Typically if lowering the car, it reduces the longevity of the struts because of different spring rates.

Exhausts = To make it sound a certain way. Some people don't like how quite our cars are... so they make them sound louder. Louder = more aggressive feeling on the road. Sometimes even used just for showing off. lol.
The following users liked this post:
nmlexus4gs (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 03:41 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

All in all it's mostly aesthetics more than performance gains and possibly some insecurities, purely for fun, boredom, wanting to stand out and some immaturity all in the mix.

And in the core it's probably because not all of us can afford something along the lines of a McLaren 720....I haven't seen many of those boys spend too much on performance mods.
Old 06-21-18, 03:55 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

I typically mod my car to have something a little more unique. Sometimes a subtle drop, a throatier exhaust or simple aesthetic mods can be done tastefully to stand out from the rest of the boring sea of similar vehicles out there.
Old 06-21-18, 04:03 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

So it can look sharp and drive like crap!
Old 06-21-18, 04:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Oftentimes that's the case - the car drives like crap.

A good example is - probably 98% of the people that change springs cause their car to handle worse than it did with the original springs that came on the car.
Old 06-21-18, 06:12 PM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
So funny....so true.
Old 06-21-18, 06:55 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

It's a sickness... once you start, you can't stop. I'm trying hard to not start on this latest car.
Old 06-21-18, 07:32 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Same reason people get tattoos.
Boomin (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 10:49 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 413 Likes on 251 Posts

Stock height your car looks freighted or you need to walk through a puddle of water and you lift your pants.
Old 06-22-18, 04:39 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

I like stock personally. Only mods. to mine are WeatherTec's & ExPel.
The following 2 users liked this post by charley95:
Im2bz2p345 (06-22-18), rVague (06-22-18)
Old 06-22-18, 06:15 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Mods have been made to anything man comes in contact from the dawn of time. Cave paintings, tattoos, clothes, piercings and our conveniences.

Cosmetic mods give a unique appearance, like a peacock displaying his fan.

Exhaust mods convey a more powerful note.

Wheels, tires, springs, et al show a more aggressive stance, like a cat ready to pounce.

Almost all are designed to attract attention to the owner as evidenced by the reduction in user comfort.
nmlexus4gs (06-22-18)
Old 06-22-18, 06:17 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyIS
It's a sickness... once you start, you can't stop. I'm trying hard to not start on this latest car.
I used to religiously modify my cars to make them "better." Looks are subjective and at least from my perspective, my cars looked better. Once moded, there was just no end to the tweaks. Too stiff, too soft, too jouncy, change this, change that, pipes aren't loud enough, too load and kill my ears on the highway. I just leave crap alone and enjoy them now.

It has been stated we do mods to get our cars to ride like BMWs, so we can have reliability with handling in one package....I don't know, maybe I'm just too old, but the GS handles better than most BMWs I've been in. I sold a Z4, before buying the GS and while I absolutely loved that car, it beat the snot out of me in the city. The GS handles well without the beatings, I don't have to worry about the shaking rattling things loose or stress over getting too close to parking blocks.

I put a rear spoiler on mine and tinted the windows. That's where it'll sit till the wheels fall off....They will fall off far later if not shook to death by lowering and rubber band tires.
Old 06-22-18, 08:36 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
I used to religiously modify my cars to make them "better." Looks are subjective and at least from my perspective, my cars looked better. Once moded, there was just no end to the tweaks. Too stiff, too soft, too jouncy, change this, change that, pipes aren't loud enough, too load and kill my ears on the highway. I just leave crap alone and enjoy them now.

It has been stated we do mods to get our cars to ride like BMWs, so we can have reliability with handling in one package....I don't know, maybe I'm just too old, but the GS handles better than most BMWs I've been in. I sold a Z4, before buying the GS and while I absolutely loved that car, it beat the snot out of me in the city. The GS handles well without the beatings, I don't have to worry about the shaking rattling things loose or stress over getting too close to parking blocks.

I put a rear spoiler on mine and tinted the windows. That's where it'll sit till the wheels fall off....They will fall off far later if not shook to death by lowering and rubber band tires.
Yep, I tinted my windows, put mud flaps on it and swapped in a bunch of LEDs to improve my user experience and/or keep the car nicer. I'm going to put one size bigger tires when it comes time for a new set to improve ride quality. Most of my mods are so subtle as to not even be evident to the uninitiated.

Quick Reply: Why people do MODS to their car ?