GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Shopping for a 2013-14 gs 350 f-sport. Any known issues I should look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 09:11 AM
smihalik
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shopping for a 2013-14 gs 350 f-sport. Any known issues I should look out for?

As the title would suggest, I am in the market for a GS350 f-sport. I’m ditching a 335xi coupe for this as I need something more practical for my growing family. I also want something reliable. The BMW has been surprisingly okay in the reliability department. I think I’ve been lucky with it, but I’m looking for something that I can put 150,000 miles on and not worry about.

Are there any known issues with the vehicles I should be looking out for? I haven’t come across much, so im
taking this as a good sign these cars are as reliable as Lexus’s reputation would suggest.
Old 07-03-18, 09:41 AM
eddie420
Forum Moderator

Received 639 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by smihalik
As the title would suggest, I am in the market for a GS350 f-sport. I’m ditching a 335xi coupe for this as I need something more practical for my growing family. I also want something reliable. The BMW has been surprisingly okay in the reliability department. I think I’ve been lucky with it, but I’m looking for something that I can put 150,000 miles on and not worry about.

Are there any known issues with the vehicles I should be looking out for? I haven’t come across much, so im
taking this as a good sign these cars are as reliable as Lexus’s reputation would suggest.
I'd suggest a '15+ if you can afford it. Lots of minor improvements over the 13+. Other than that, just follow factory recommended service visits and you should have a solid car for a long time.
Old 07-03-18, 10:02 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

^agree, 2015 is better if you can swing it. I assume you're looking for AWD if you're in Canada?

I had a 2013 GS350 F-Sport AWD and there were no issues, but the later years had minor improvements and options. For example, power outside mirrors were not offered on 2013 models, but in 2014 and forward it was available. 2013 also didn't have the automatic heated/vented seats function that you could turn off without an OBD2 adapter - even then, you're either all automatic or all manual, every time you started the car (most folks don't care about this but my wife and I had opposite requirements so was a PITA).

As far as reliability - get a well maintained used car and 150k miles will come and go with very little outside of normal routine maintenance (assuming you continue the maintenance). The Lexus has the soul of a Toyota so it'll be reliable and the cost of maintenance/ownership will be significantly less than the BMW.

Side note, I just sold our 2008 335i convertible in May - bought it 4+ years ago with 26k miles on it (old man drove it very little) and sold it with almost 37k miles. Everything about that car was expensive, but it was like no other driving experience! The Lexus is a different experience altogether, not just in terms of reliability, but driving style, cost of ownership, and excitement. And from my experience the Lexus won't attract as many cops as the BMW so you can drive "under the radar" a little more

Good luck in your search!
Old 07-03-18, 04:03 PM
smihalik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IndyIS
^agree, 2015 is better if you can swing it. I assume you're looking for AWD if you're in Canada?

I had a 2013 GS350 F-Sport AWD and there were no issues, but the later years had minor improvements and options. For example, power outside mirrors were not offered on 2013 models, but in 2014 and forward it was available. 2013 also didn't have the automatic heated/vented seats function that you could turn off without an OBD2 adapter - even then, you're either all automatic or all manual, every time you started the car (most folks don't care about this but my wife and I had opposite requirements so was a PITA).

As far as reliability - get a well maintained used car and 150k miles will come and go with very little outside of normal routine maintenance (assuming you continue the maintenance). The Lexus has the soul of a Toyota so it'll be reliable and the cost of maintenance/ownership will be significantly less than the BMW.

Side note, I just sold our 2008 335i convertible in May - bought it 4+ years ago with 26k miles on it (old man drove it very little) and sold it with almost 37k miles. Everything about that car was expensive, but it was like no other driving experience! The Lexus is a different experience altogether, not just in terms of reliability, but driving style, cost of ownership, and excitement. And from my experience the Lexus won't attract as many cops as the BMW so you can drive "under the radar" a little more

Good luck in your search!
Yes I am in Canada and it will be AWD for sure.

The car i am getting rid of is actually an 08 335xi. It’s my 3rd e92. So far I haven’t found anything that drives as well as an e9X 335, outside of cars like Porsche or AMG Mercedes. Im hoping I don’t give up too much driving fun with this car. I’ll be test driving one tomorrow. Hopefully I like it.
Old 01-16-20, 12:20 AM
2kRandy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So what did you end up getting?
Old 01-16-20, 08:23 AM
M3to4GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OP,

I would go for years '15+, due to several updates as mentioned above. That should get you the best iteration of the pre-facelift models.

Also, I feel ya on the E9X, as I still own an E92 M3 and there's nothing like it (the S65 is a gem and I don't think there will be another motor like it). I feel like that generation has aged so well, and my M3 has been surprisingly reliable as well. You should be bulletproof with a 4GS. As with all vehicles, take care of it and keep up with the necessary (not recommended) maintenance and you'll be good to go.

Lastly, expect a grand cruiser rather than a sports sedan (at best). It's comfy and great with hauling people around, but fairly lacking in the "sports" department.

Good luck on your search!
Old 01-16-20, 08:23 AM
M3to4GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lmao, this post is a year and a half old. I've been heckin' bamboozled.
Old 01-16-20, 08:41 AM
smihalik
Driver School Candidate

Haha yeah this thread is ancient lol!

I ended up buying the 13’ 350 f-sport that i spoke about test driving! I had also test driven an f30 335xi and I walked away super disappointed. The f30 gen just lost all of its Bmw’ness. I actually felt the GS was more fun to drive then the f30.

A year and a half on, I’m still really enjoying the car. I plan to keep it for many more years. It’s been rock solid and I trust that it’s going to continue to be.

My only complaint is that the infotainment absolutely sucks, but I’m planning on adding GROM VL2 to address that. Also, maybe will
add an intake for a bit more engine noise...
The following users liked this post:
mkmckinley (01-16-20)
Old 01-17-20, 08:05 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Yes I am in Canada and it will be AWD for sure.
I haven’t found anything that drives as well as an e9X 335,
To be fair there's no point in comparing an AWD GS to a RWD BMW. I believe a RWD prefacelift Fsport is as good as any modern BMW handling wise, once you tick the facelift and AWD boxes they start getting soft - based on accounts posted on this forum. I'm sure they're still wonderful cars built for your conditions but have realistic expectations. I'm not sure whether the AWD Fsport still gets the dynamic gear ratio steering, rear wheel steering and S+ adaptive suspension - may merit investigation. I mention those Fsport features because that's why the Fsport exists- to take sales off BMW.
​​
As for known problems - water destroying the audio amp in the boot, steering wheel squeeking from factory, dead door locks, sunroof rattling requiring an updated seal...all I can think of. The face lift should have fixed all of that. As far as I know all GS have noisy high pressure fuel pumps and many have a loud whine from the alternator pulley. (I think)

Unlike Euros you don't have to dodge particular years like hand grenades.
​​​

Last edited by Cwang; 01-17-20 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-17-20, 09:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

While the AWD F Sport does not get VGRS or rear steering, it does get AVS/Sport S+.
Old 01-18-20, 08:07 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 330 Likes on 208 Posts

I’d agree even in 2020 the RWD is more fun than AWD. In NC I don’t need it but I do go the mountains in winter and weather can get a bit awful there.
My last BMW was a 2013 535i Msport with just 57k miles. 6spd manual and was a great drive but expensive to keep on the road. Previous I had a 2007 E92 coupe or 328i. Also with 6spd manual. Sport package then could be had with just different seats and the suspension changed. The staggered wheels were very subtle. Also drive a f30 variant and it was not the same. Not even close. The speed was there but was like driving a video game and the interior lacked the feel of previous grand touring BMW’s. To me, historically it was not about 0-60 boy racer expectations but “Touring” experience or a nice compromise of driving dynamics and connection with the with a nice leather and wood cabin. This car did not have NAV nor a LED screen. It had a conservative old school feel. brown Leather with a rather bizarre Poplar wood trip. So ugly it was pretty. I can always gone back and found another and I can’t fault BMW for keeping up with market forces and wanting to sell more cars to a wider audience.
I sold the coupe at 80k and had little if any issues having owned it 6 years and 60,000 miles Found out recently it 6 months later after I sold it it needed a full engine rebuild. $5-6,000. I had sold the car for $10,000 at the time. I never had any blame put back to me from what I heard. I was horrified a private party had experienced that. Word is the love the car despite and knew what they were getting into. WHEW!

Long story short, I’m ok with some lessor dynamic. Now well into my 50’s my obsessions are lessor and spending time researching what is wrong with my BMW’s is now behind me. We do still have an Audi for the wife and a toy Mercedes SLK that I can row my own gears with and have fun.
Very much enjoying my New Lexus and looking forward to a long warranty and years after of legendary reliability!
Old 01-18-20, 08:11 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Door lock actuators failing prematurely (although rare it has happened to a few members here)
Leaking Struts (also not too common)
Sunroof rattle