new gs f sport owner lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-18, 12:31 AM
mmahon512
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new gs f sport owner lots of questions

sorry for the book sized post but lots of questions

just bought my 2nd lexus and my 1st '14 gs350 f sport. love the performance and it's a thrill to drive! that being said after my first weekend, it now has a 'maintenance required' warning on the dash. haven't even had it a week... it's at 51k miles,

I panicked a bit and went to autozone to get code read if their were any. there were no codes or errors and the check engine light isn't on so I think it's just perhaps a mfg warning to change the oil perhaps or some other such reminder. I read on here just KISS and do the basics (see attachment). my rx350 has had zero mgs like this but my wife hasn't even put 10k mi in a year. could someone advise me if this 'maintenance requirement ' is just a reminder message or if it's something more serious.

I'm going to be really mad at the dealer if this turned into a con instead of a decent deal on a car I've wanted for a couple of years.

grom audio infotainment knits, these look really cool. anyone have experience with them on a gs? are they worth it? I looked into upgrading the maps and lexus of austin wanted $350 to do the stock system update. I'd rather spend that on something with more integration for my android so I can mirror and have a hotspot. just want to get some thoughts on it. might do this too for the rx aa well if it's worth it.

sunshade, minor topic but its Texas and the sun is blazing. I found a custom fit foldable shade on Amazon but I'd rather have 1 w the lexus f sport logo on it. any info is appreciated.

underlight kit, I'd like to put a tasteful underlight kit and wire it up to the light switch. any thoughts on that? I'm not too mechanically inclined so something that's pretty dummy proof for a DIY install would be nice.

interior lighting, I'd like to swap all the lights to green or maybe blue. I've seen a million options on Amazon but not sure what to choose. any suggestions welcomed.

open to suggestions, given $ 3-4k on a white gs f sport, what would you do to it and in what order? I work a full time job but I drive uber/Lyft on the weekends bc I find it relaxing and I like money so my main concern is more luxury and experience than tuning & performance though I welcome any advise.

thanks,

mike

Old 07-06-18, 02:34 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 410 Likes on 285 Posts

The maintenance light is a reminder. Dealer probably forgot to reset it if they did the oil change before selling it to you, if not then do an oil change unless you know the service history.

No opinion on under lighting or color change LED inside as if never do either to my own car.

There is a screen mirror kit that seems to be popular on this site but the name escapes me. I think it's like 3-400 bux, cheaper if you can find it used from a member or something..

With 3-4k and appearance/luxury in mind, I'd definitely look into paint correction and ceramic coating or PPF+ceramic as one of the first things to do. If you're gonna drive as a rideshare then it's important to have a clean car at all times and a ceramic coating makes it so easy to wash.
Old 07-06-18, 04:15 AM
eddie420

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by mmahon512
sorry for the book sized post but lots of questions

just bought my 2nd lexus and my 1st '14 gs350 f sport. love the performance and it's a thrill to drive! that being said after my first weekend, it now has a 'maintenance required' warning on the dash. haven't even had it a week... it's at 51k miles,

I panicked a bit and went to autozone to get code read if their were any. there were no codes or errors and the check engine light isn't on so I think it's just perhaps a mfg warning to change the oil perhaps or some other such reminder. I read on here just KISS and do the basics (see attachment). my rx350 has had zero mgs like this but my wife hasn't even put 10k mi in a year. could someone advise me if this 'maintenance requirement ' is just a reminder message or if it's something more serious.

I'm going to be really mad at the dealer if this turned into a con instead of a decent deal on a car I've wanted for a couple of years.

grom audio infotainment knits, these look really cool. anyone have experience with them on a gs? are they worth it? I looked into upgrading the maps and lexus of austin wanted $350 to do the stock system update. I'd rather spend that on something with more integration for my android so I can mirror and have a hotspot. just want to get some thoughts on it. might do this too for the rx aa well if it's worth it.

sunshade, minor topic but its Texas and the sun is blazing. I found a custom fit foldable shade on Amazon but I'd rather have 1 w the lexus f sport logo on it. any info is appreciated.

underlight kit, I'd like to put a tasteful underlight kit and wire it up to the light switch. any thoughts on that? I'm not too mechanically inclined so something that's pretty dummy proof for a DIY install would be nice.

interior lighting, I'd like to swap all the lights to green or maybe blue. I've seen a million options on Amazon but not sure what to choose. any suggestions welcomed.

open to suggestions, given $ 3-4k on a white gs f sport, what would you do to it and in what order? I work a full time job but I drive uber/Lyft on the weekends bc I find it relaxing and I like money so my main concern is more luxury and experience than tuning & performance though I welcome any advise.

thanks,

mike
Maintenance reminder is just a pre-set reminder, not a caution or warning.

The built-in maps... they definitely do come in handy. I personally like the interface and its simplicity. I do also have the BeatSonicUSA phone mirroring kit (http://www.beatsonicusa.com/if04ep.html) and it's really great!

Sunshade... I use CoverCraft UVS100. Screw the F Sport logo. - https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/pro...?COLORID=SV|UV

Interior lighting... not a fan of them so can't really recommend anything.

Underbody lightning... not a fan either. But I am installing low profile white led strips when parking in the dark since I have tints and it becomes problematic if I don't roll down the windows.