GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2015 GS 350 FSport TPMS help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-18, 11:02 PM
guppie
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2015 GS 350 FSport TPMS help

Had new tires installed and all 4 TPMS sensors were working fine. Swapped out the rear tires with a friend's 2015 GS 350 who also had all 4 TPMS sensors working fine. Didn't think of the programming at the time but all 4 TPMS sensors were blank and I figured the pressures were fine since no low tire pressure warning light came on... up until last week which is now annoying me. Lexus dealer tells me the 2 rear sensors are cracked/broken somehow as a result of an external tire installer because it "happens all the time". Lexus dealer wants $200 per TPMS sensor + $400 installation/programming for a grand total of $800 for 2 sensors. Sounds like scam so I need some help.

1. Must all 4 tires be programmed at same time? They said the 2 front TPMS sensors were reading OK but they didn't program them and left them blank.
2. What TPMS sensors can I buy (aftermarket or OEM) that will register and function properly in my dash?
3. Not all tire dealers are created equal so I need to clarify if they can install AND program TPMS sensors?

I found these online. Will this fit the bill?
http://www.tpms.com/Lexus_Scion_Suba...MS_p/p0105.htm
Old 07-10-18, 11:09 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

200 bucks is absurd, you can go on fleabay or other places and get OEM sensors for far less than that.

When I had one of my tires replaced recently I had a cracked sensor too, they replaced it with some kind of generic. They comped me the sensor because I think they believed they might have
busted the thing.

Any decent tire dealer will have the gear to program the sensors and get your car to read them.

I would stay the hell away from the dealer, that sounds like they're taking you for a ride. It took the tire shop all of 5 minutes with the tool to program my sensors.

-Mike
The following users liked this post:
guppie (07-10-18)
Old 07-10-18, 11:17 PM
guppie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drgrant
200 bucks is absurd, you can go on fleabay or other places and get OEM sensors for far less than that.
I would stay the hell away from the dealer, that sounds like they're taking you for a ride. It took the tire shop all of 5 minutes with the tool to program my sensors.
I thought the quote was a bit exorbitant. Same dealer (Lexus of West Kendall in Miami) told me $250 to replace a lug nut bolt that they broke but insisted my car came in with only 4 bolts (I asked to see video after the manager told me they had 25+ cameras in the shop). I don't think I'm ever going back to that dealer.

Found these on Amazon, will these work?
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-10-18, 11:23 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought that exact same one (from Bell Lexus) on Amazon and it works. It even comes with a warranty honored by any Lexus dealership. Firestone programed the sensor to my car for pretty cheap too.
guppie (07-11-18)
Old 07-11-18, 04:48 AM
eddie420

Received 621 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by guppie
I thought the quote was a bit exorbitant. Same dealer (Lexus of West Kendall in Miami) told me $250 to replace a lug nut bolt that they broke but insisted my car came in with only 4 bolts (I asked to see video after the manager told me they had 25+ cameras in the shop). I don't think I'm ever going back to that dealer.

Found these on Amazon, will these work?
https://www.amazon.com/Lexus-42607-3...+lexus+gs+tpms
Originally Posted by j.Veezy68
I bought that exact same one (from Bell Lexus) on Amazon and it works. It even comes with a warranty honored by any Lexus dealership. Firestone programed the sensor to my car for pretty cheap too.
Bell Lexus of Scotsdale sells alot on EBAY and they are great to work with. I bought things from them and are really helpful. Give them a call or contact them on ebay and they can tell you everything you need.
guppie (07-11-18)
Old 07-11-18, 06:10 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Holy crap, $200 plus install is absurd! I had one go out on my IS350 around 180k miles years ago and Discount Tire wanted $60 to replace and program it. I ended up taking it to the Toyota Dealer and they did it for $75. I sold the car with 198k miles and didn't have any issues with that new sensor, or any other originals for that matter.
Old 07-11-18, 07:09 AM
guppie
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys.
Just to clarify: I simply swapped out the 2 rear tires + rims with my buddy (same car: 2015 GS 350 FSport) so I was expecting the sensors to lose the signal; however, they were fully functional before the swap and I didn't mishandle the tires or even touch the tire pressure so I don't see how the sensors could be damaged as Lexus is telling me. I figured they just needed to be reprogrammed. Don't see how moving a tire to another vehicle would break them especially since we didn't take them apart... Lexus dealer said the sensors were "not responding and 99.9% sure they were damaged from the external tire dealer" so this is why I call bull**** because they were fully functional and not mishandled or remounted and the low pressure warning light didn't come on until a few days ago. Maybe I'll just goto Firestone and see if they can try to reprogram? Perhaps they can get the 2 rear sensors to respond?? This is frustrating.

Last edited by guppie; 07-11-18 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-11-18, 08:46 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks guys.
Just to clarify: I simply swapped out the 2 rear tires + rims with my buddy (same car: 2015 GS 350 FSport) so I was expecting the sensors to lose the signal; however, they were fully functional before the swap and I didn't mishandle the tires or even touch the tire pressure so I don't see how the sensors could be damaged as Lexus is telling me. I figured they just needed to be reprogrammed. Don't see how moving a tire to another vehicle would break them especially since we didn't take them apart... Lexus dealer said the sensors were "not responding and 99.9% sure they were damaged from the external tire dealer" so this is why I call bull**** because they were fully functional and not mishandled or remounted and the low pressure warning light didn't come on until a few days ago. Maybe I'll just goto Firestone and see if they can try to reprogram? Perhaps they can get the 2 rear sensors to respond?? This is frustrating.
there is a TPMS reset button under steering wheel area. And a procedure explained in manual how to reset. You can complete it by yourself easily
Old 07-11-18, 10:37 PM
guppie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by microsup
there is a TPMS reset button under steering wheel area. And a procedure explained in manual how to reset. You can complete it by yourself easily
Are you sure this is available on the 2015 GS 350? I had a 2010 GS 350 and I recall being able to do something like that on the previous Gen 3 but I can't find any YouTube videos for Gen 4
Old 07-12-18, 06:57 AM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The reset is to reset the default pressure reading for determination of low pressure, not to reset and reprogram the sensor. How old was your buddy’s sensor? The batteries go bad after a couple years.
Old 07-12-18, 09:35 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you sure this is available on the 2015 GS 350? I had a 2010 GS 350 and I recall being able to do something like that on the previous Gen 3 but I can't find any YouTube videos for Gen 4
Sucks that you're still dealing with this. But, like j.Veezy said, the reset isn't for programming the sensors... If I recall, to program the sensor you need the proper scanning tool - TechStream is a popular name and the one that the Toyota dealer used on my old IS350 - this will scan the sensor and program it to the car in no time.

If the sensors worked just before putting on your car, there's a good chance they're still good and you can hit up any decent tire shop or Toyota dealer to program them quickly, and cheaper than Lexus. But, if they were on buddy's wheels that sat in the garage for some time, there's a good chance you need to replace them as the battery will die over time. In this case, avoid the Lexus dealer and buy online, or do like I did with the Toyota dealership.

If it were me, I'd call a couple reputable tire shops to see if they can scan for free to determine if they're bad. That way if they're bad, they can (hopefully) get you a decent price to replace them while you're there.
guppie (07-12-18)
Old 07-12-18, 04:44 PM
guppie
Driver School Candidate

his car was also a 2015 GS350 so the dead battery could be it. I'll see if a tire shop can scan and reprogram and if not then I'll just purchase new ones but not at $200 a pop.