GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

oil change price at lexus

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-18, 09:45 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm guessing that Walmart is much like Jiffy-Lube, Quick Lube and all the other quick lube places that hire people for $8 - $11 an hour and try to teach them how to change engine oil and filters in a wide range of vehicles. Sadly, there are way too many people that have horrific stories from those places using inexperienced and careless people. Some of the horror stories include not putting oil in the crankcase, forgetting the filter gasket or kinking the gasket, leaving the drain plug loose, not replacing the drain plug gasket, using the wrong engine oil, putting engine oil where some other fluid goes, stripping the threads on the oil pan, over tightening or snapping off the drain plug head, stripping the threads on the oil filter, breaking the fasteners for the splash guard undercover, leaving the splash guard undercover loose, missing the valve cover fill port and pouring engine oil on the engine, not cleaning up thoroughly where oil drips on your garage floor or oil on headers/exhaust causing smoke and smell, etc., etc. And, that doesn't include when those places 'service' your transmission or some other part of your vehicle. No thanks!!!

At least when you take your vehicle to the Lexus dealership's service department they use experienced, trained people to change your oil and filter. If they break a fastener for the splash guard undercover they have thousands of the exact correct part on-hand. They also have drain plug gaskets and the correct engine oil and filters on-hand for your vehicle. If there is a problem they know to get help from one of the many highly trained and experienced Lexus technicians or Lexus master technicians. Chances are nil that you will have any of the problems mention above that Walmart and the quick lube stores are known all-too-well for from coast-to-coast. You will certainly pay more at Lexus, but you aren't driving a 20 year-old faded and dented Pontiac with 280k miles that is missing the rearview mirror and with the headliner scraping your head either. Let those guys at Walmart continue to work on your Lexus for oil changes, tires, brakes, etc. - and you'll learn a lesson.
I have taken my Maxima (fully loaded, $40k+ car) for oil change and tire rotation almost every time to Walmart (in three different states) and never had a problem for 9 years/93k miles when I sold it. Of course, every time I watched my car being worked on. I categorically told them not to touch any fluid other than engine oil and wiper fluid. Within the first year, I went for an alignment check at a Nissan dealership. They scratched all four of my rims and told me that I already had the scratches when I came in. I stopped going to any Nissan dealership since then. After experiencing Lexus of Memphis, I am more convinced that all dealerships are more or less the same. Regarding Walmart, I have my own long-term experience vs. hearsay -- what should I believe in? I do not expect very highly skilled technicians to be working at Walmart. That is why Walmart charges less and I watch the technicians working on my car. Also, as far as I know, Walmart only does oil+filter change and tire mounting/balancing/rotation, so no option of doing other services at Walmart.

Again, do you know the qualification and experience of the "technicians" at your Lexus dealership?
Old 07-23-18, 04:02 AM
eddie420

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

I have a Valvomax drain. Takes zero time to change your own oil. And considering Mobil1 0w-20 oil constantly has $ rebates, cost is just oil + filter and a few minutes of your time.

https://www.valvomax.com/
Old 07-23-18, 06:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

These prices don't surprise me that much, really.

I have a 2000 Silverado that I use for yard work and errands. I put less than a thousand miles a year on it. It has the 4.3L V6. On my last oil change, I figured I'd "cheap out" and took it down to the local Jiffy Lube, as I didn't have time to do it myself. They charged me over $100 for a full synthetic change, while I waited in a dingy, dirty, cramped waiting room.

So I don't think $100-$130 is that bad for a full synthetic oil change at a nice, cushy Lexus dealership where I can have free food and coffee.
Old 07-23-18, 07:17 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I have a Valvomax drain. Takes zero time to change your own oil. And considering Mobil1 0w-20 oil constantly has $ rebates, cost is just oil + filter and a few minutes of your time.

That actually looks pretty neat and would be a big time saver for me.

I still prefer to do my own oil changes and it's only once a year for me. It gives me time to look over the car and do other maintenance or cleaning. Walmart regularly has Mobil 1 0w20 for like $23 for a 5 quart jug.
Old 07-23-18, 09:11 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 411 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420

How does this work? Just replaces the drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan where you traditionally drain oil from? Then you forever attach the valve tube and open to drain?
Old 07-23-18, 09:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
How does this work? Just replaces the drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan where you traditionally drain oil from? Then you forever attach the valve tube and open to drain?
Correct. The Valvomax replaces the standard drain plug on the oil pan. The Valvomax unit remains screwed into the oil pan threads. It has a spring-loaded ball that acts as a valve to permanently shut off any oil flow. To drain the oil you first remove the dust cover and then screw on the attachment fitting that has the clear draining tubing. As this attachment fitting (with the clear tubing) is screwed onto the Vavomax unit it compresses the spring which in-turn moves the ball upward in the unit (in essence opening the valve) and allows oil to flow out.

Unit with dust cover on

Unit with dust cover removed and drain tube attachment screwed into it, which compresses the spring, moves valve ball upward and allows oil to flow

Old 07-23-18, 10:13 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 411 Likes on 286 Posts

Correct. The Valvomax replaces the standard drain plug on the oil pan. The Valvomax unit remains screwed into the oil pan threads. It has a spring-loaded ball that acts as a valve to permanently shut off any oil flow. To drain the oil you first remove the dust cover and then screw on the attachment fitting that has the clear draining tubing. As this attachment fitting (with the clear tubing) is screwed onto the Vavomax unit it compresses the spring which in-turn moves the ball upward in the unit (in essence opening the valve) and allows oil to flow out.

Unit with dust cover on

Unit with dust cover removed and drain tube attachment screwed into it, which compresses the spring, moves valve ball upward and allows oil to flow
Thank you! Seems very helpful for only $30 to never have to undo the drain plug bolt again and have to line up a fill container properly. I assumed this was how it worked but appreciate the cross section diagrams to explain it fully.
Old 07-23-18, 11:28 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by cubanboi31
At my local Lexus dealership getting my first oil change on my 2013 GS 350 F sport. Does 129 sound about right? I agreed already and they are doing the work but on my old IS my oil changes were about 80 bucks.
Did they charge when the car was under factory warranty?
Old 07-23-18, 11:34 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

So, you enjoy talking to the just hired 18 year-old high school dropout technician dopehead at Walmart while he works botches things on your $60k car?

I wouldn't even let Walmart check my tire pressure.
Talking to a tech working on the car ... Won't it cause distraction, mistakes?
Old 07-30-18, 08:40 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm guessing that Walmart is much like Jiffy-Lube, Quick Lube and all the other quick lube places that hire people for $8 - $11 an hour and try to teach them how to change engine oil and filters in a wide range of vehicles. Sadly, there are way too many people that have horrific stories from those places using inexperienced and careless people. Some of the horror stories include not putting oil in the crankcase, forgetting the filter gasket or kinking the gasket, leaving the drain plug loose, not replacing the drain plug gasket, using the wrong engine oil, putting engine oil where some other fluid goes, stripping the threads on the oil pan, over tightening or snapping off the drain plug head, stripping the threads on the oil filter, breaking the fasteners for the splash guard undercover, leaving the splash guard undercover loose, missing the valve cover fill port and pouring engine oil on the engine, not cleaning up thoroughly where oil drips on your garage floor or oil on headers/exhaust causing smoke and smell, etc., etc. And, that doesn't include when those places 'service' your transmission or some other part of your vehicle. No thanks!!!

At least when you take your vehicle to the Lexus dealership's service department they use experienced, trained people to change your oil and filter. If they break a fastener for the splash guard undercover they have thousands of the exact correct part on-hand. They also have drain plug gaskets and the correct engine oil and filters on-hand for your vehicle. If there is a problem they know to get help from one of the many highly trained and experienced Lexus technicians or Lexus master technicians. Chances are nil that you will have any of the problems mention above that Walmart and the quick lube stores are known all-too-well for from coast-to-coast. You will certainly pay more at Lexus, but you aren't driving a 20 year-old faded and dented Pontiac with 280k miles that is missing the rearview mirror and with the headliner scraping your head either. Let those guys at Walmart continue to work on your Lexus for oil changes, tires, brakes, etc. - and you'll learn a lesson.
Confessions of a Car Dealership Service Manager
So it's not necessarily more expensive, and they know more about your car. Any other reason?

Often times at Jiffy Lube or wherever they're paid by the hour, and they're not necessarily trained to know your vehicle. And that can cost you your engine. If I could get half of what I've charged customers to replace engines that were screwed up by Jiffy Lube and Walmart, for such things as not enough oil, too much oil, the wrong weight of oil, wrong filter, loose filter or any combination of the above, I could have retired a long time ago. There's no point to spending $30,000 to $40,000 on a new vehicle and then trying to go cheap on the maintenance.

Reference ► https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...nager-6311261/
Old 07-30-18, 08:43 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

I always pay the lexus dealer to do it, usually not more than 100 bucks while I steal all the donuts and sodas.

Naaaahh... I'm just lazy and don't have the place to do it myself.
Old 07-30-18, 09:16 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I always pay the lexus dealer to do it, usually not more than 100 bucks while I steal all the donuts and sodas.

Naaaahh... I'm just lazy and don't have the place to do it myself.
I have no problem paying $100 or so for an oil change. I always enjoy eating more than my share of nuts, pretzels and M&Ms as I wait.

If Lexus owners complain about the cost for Lexus services - they do not want to own something like a Land Rover/Range Rover.
Old 07-30-18, 01:22 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I have no problem paying $100 or so for an oil change. I always enjoy eating more than my share of nuts, pretzels and M&Ms as I wait.

If Lexus owners complain about the cost for Lexus services - they do not want to own something like a Land Rover/Range Rover.
Agreed. I mean when you buy a 40 to 50 grand car, new and then start kvetching about $100 for an oil change which it needs once or twice a year, tops, you really have to wonder what people are thinking.

Some even clip coupons, buy the cheapest oil they can find on sale, a filter on line and then go to the cheapest place you can find and getting the oil change there. Then they brag about it.

Fine to me if you are a student with a 12 year old car trying to save money, but I am guessing most on this forum are not doing that.
Old 07-30-18, 03:01 PM
eddie420

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Agreed. I mean when you buy a 40 to 50 grand car, new and then start kvetching about $100 for an oil change which it needs once or twice a year, tops, you really have to wonder what people are thinking.

Some even clip coupons, buy the cheapest oil they can find on sale, a filter on line and then go to the cheapest place you can find and getting the oil change there. Then they brag about it.

Fine to me if you are a student with a 12 year old car trying to save money, but I am guessing most on this forum are not doing that.
I do my own just because peace of mind. Plus it's only once a year... sheesh.
Old 07-31-18, 11:20 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

$176 for 3 oil changes and 2 tire rotations at the dealer here in Buffalo. $115 for non-synthetic on my GS300. Dealer in Albany is $86 for non-synthetic and $115 for synthetic. Considering I get a loaner at either, they wash it, and I get 15% of the cost of service every time I go in, towards the purchase of my next car from that same dealer, I see no reason to go anywhere else.

Last edited by RXGS; 07-31-18 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: oil change price at lexus