GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Show your wrapped window trim!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-18, 11:42 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
How are you doing it tho? Just curious one big piece and then trimming off or are you using multiple pieces of vinyl?
I have JDM visors so I first wrapped the chrome on them over the weekend. Then doing the rest in sections (the same sections that the original chrome trim itself is separated in) for the front door, and using one big piece for the two rear door sections. Below is a pic of the visors wrapped and then in the next picture I've circled the actual original chrome trim sections remaining after already wrapping the visors. I'm also making sure that the fiber pattern is going the same direction and matches up throughout.

Old 07-23-18, 12:50 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by TarmacSL3
Here is mine, If I were you I would also do the B pillars so everything is the same.

Is this an F or a lat F-Sport? That blue and wrapped trim looks good.....
Old 07-23-18, 12:54 PM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bob256k
Is this an F or a lat F-Sport? That blue and wrapped trim looks good.....
That's a later year F Sport. The USB does look good with the wrapped trim
Old 07-23-18, 12:54 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 285 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks JW..that seems like the best way indeed!
The following users liked this post:
JWBlakk (07-23-18)
Old 07-24-18, 02:10 PM
bossjonny
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The following 4 users liked this post by bossjonny:
Albo (09-21-19), amerrival (04-02-24), LYTE (09-23-19), RichardB23 (09-19-19)
Old 07-25-18, 05:34 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bossjonny
NICE! Love the look on this color
Old 07-25-18, 11:24 AM
itsAQ
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Vinyl lifting?

hey guys just wondering if any one encountered this problem.

My vinyl started to lift at some certain spots at the top of the two sides of the windows.

The gap between the chrome and rubber weather strip shows a bit and it looks like chrome. Seen other GSs with the same issue upclose. Just wondering is it normal?
Old 07-26-18, 10:10 AM
TeamThrust
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JWBlakk
I'm gonna attempt to wrap my trim this weekend and want to see others who have done this. I opted for 4D CF and it is tougher to deal with but I've wrapped things with it before and have some tricks up my sleeve haha. Here is a quick and photoshop of how it should look once done. Let me see yours!

I see you playa!!
The following users liked this post:
JWBlakk (07-26-18)
Old 07-26-18, 12:46 PM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by itsAQ
hey guys just wondering if any one encountered this problem.

My vinyl started to lift at some certain spots at the top of the two sides of the windows.

The gap between the chrome and rubber weather strip shows a bit and it looks like chrome. Seen other GSs with the same issue upclose. Just wondering is it normal?
I did, that’s why I ended up doing paint instead. I’m ocd with detail. People may have not noticed but I surely did n I got tired of it lol
Old 07-27-18, 01:06 PM
LEP XEP
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chavez562

I did, that’s why I ended up doing paint instead. I’m ocd with detail. People may have not noticed but I surely did n I got tired of it lol
I am facing the same issue. Did you use knifeless tape? According to Ck wrap on youtube, Lexus chrome trim (GS & IS) are the most difficult trim to wrap. Even he is the professional wrapper. He did use knifeless tape on the IS for the bottom section and he did not have any issue. I re-do some of my trim with knifeless tape but I have the same issue. I may give up either plasti dip or paint them. Is it easy to remove these chrome trim? Do we have to take the door panel apart? Thanks.
Old 07-27-18, 03:31 PM
itsAQ
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LEP XEP
I am facing the same issue. Did you use knifeless tape? According to Ck wrap on youtube, Lexus chrome trim (GS & IS) are the most difficult trim to wrap. Even he is the professional wrapper. He did use knifeless tape on the IS for the bottom section and he did not have any issue. I re-do some of my trim with knifeless tape but I have the same issue. I may give up either plasti dip or paint them. Is it easy to remove these chrome trim? Do we have to take the door panel apart? Thanks.
I wrapped it twice with a friend of mine who has been doing wraps for 10+ years. The bottom is easy since you can remove it and tuck the wrap but the uppers, you can't tuck it because it's not removable unless you take apart the door.

I'm having Don re-do it this week for me as he says he can get it perfectly. So, we'll see. I'll keep ya updated.
Old 07-27-18, 05:53 PM
socaligs
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

so whats the price range?
Old 07-27-18, 09:14 PM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LEP XEP
you have to take the door apart brother!! So good luck if u do that. As far as painting, they taped everything off and did their thing. Honestly, if you’re trying to do something and not have to worry about it constantly with weather or wear and tear, paint is the way to go. Not urs about you but once I complete something then I want to be done with it and move on. LoL
Old 07-27-18, 10:04 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Nope, it's not difficult. Depends on the type of film. 3M and Avery are too thick for the window trim. You need to use APA for a clean cut.
Old 01-03-19, 05:57 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

for the people who have done this themselves how much wrap did you order for the window grill and trunk? 5'x2' enough?

Quick Reply: Show your wrapped window trim!