GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dealer test drive 26 miles????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 12:13 PM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Dealer test drive 26 miles????

I brought my vehicle in for noise coming from the top (originally I had mine sunroof housing replaced under TSB warranty back in November 2017, but the noise came back).

Service advisor called me and said that they had to remove all bolts/nuts for the housing and re-torque them. But when I picked up the vehicle and reading thru the service ticket, I was surprise to see they put 26 miles on the vehicle for road test.

Service: CUSTOMER STATES WHEN DRIVING OVER A SPEED BUMP/CURVE, GOING UP AT AN ANGLE HEARS A THUMP NOISE COMING FROM THE TOP OF THE VEHICLE.

description: 33920 REMOVE AND RE-TORQUE ALL MOON ROOF HOUSING MOUNTING NUTS/BOLTS TO FACTORY SPECIFICATION WITH 3M SLIP TAPE BETWEEN MOON ROOF HOUSING AND BODY. ROAD TESTED TOTAL OF 26 MILES SOUND NO LONGER PRESENT.
Is this normal to put this much of miles on road test to verify?

Has anyone experience similar issue before?

I had a dash cam on my car and found out that there is no video saved between the time I dropped off & when I picked up. They intentionally un-plugged the dash cam power so it won't record.

Last edited by songoku; 07-27-18 at 12:18 PM. Reason: a
Old 07-27-18, 12:21 PM
Rich707
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good afternoon,
Know this can be frustrating. Having worked in Dealer Service Department, they will **sometimes**
have one of their lead Techs drive the home from work, etc, especially if there is an intermittent/ noise issue, etc.
You may want to confirm with the SR or the Service Manager.
Old 07-27-18, 12:26 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by songoku
I brought my vehicle in for noise coming from the top (originally I had mine sunroof housing replaced under TSB warranty back in November 2017, but the noise came back).

Service advisor called me and said that they had to remove all bolts/nuts for the housing and re-torque them. But when I picked up the vehicle and reading thru the service ticket, I was surprise to see they put 26 miles on the vehicle for road test.

Is this normal to put this much of miles on road test to verify?

Has anyone experience similar issue before?

I had a dash cam on my car and found out that there is no video saved between the time I dropped off & when I picked up. They intentionally un-plugged the dash cam power so it won't record.
was this Santa Monica Lexus? they pulled that crap with my RCF (unplugging the camera) and took it for a "test drive" which apparently entailed hard cornering and speeds in excess of 70mph in a 35mph zone. They may have unplugged the camera but were unaware that I had a data logger with GPS and sms notification wired into the car.
Old 07-27-18, 12:35 PM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
was this Santa Monica Lexus? they pulled that crap with my RCF (unplugging the camera) and took it for a "test drive" which apparently entailed hard cornering and speeds in excess of 70mph in a 35mph zone. They may have unplugged the camera but were unaware that I had a data logger with GPS and sms notification wired into the car.
I carefully drive my car and watch over my MPG. I usually get about 22.0~23.0 MPG combination of 40city / 60 freeway driving.

When I picked up the vehicle, I noticed the MPG dropped down to 19.2. sign of abuse?
Old 07-27-18, 12:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

I'm guessing the technician working on your car took it out on a test run to see if he could determine exactly where the noise was coming from, and then again he took it on another test run after repairs were made to see if the noise had been eliminated. I don't blame the driver from disconnecting the dash camera. Maybe a few techs even went to lunch in it also to check it out. You can be pretty sure the car experienced some WOT runs, but that is not abuse.
Old 07-27-18, 01:41 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

They beat it like a red headed step child. Purposely unplugged the dashcam to avoid leaving evidence. You should go absolutely bananas. It doesn't take 26 miles to hear the ominous clunk of the sunroof. Maybe...2,600'. They should give you a couple free oil changes or something...
Old 07-27-18, 01:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MustangSal
They beat it like a red headed step child. Purposely unplugged the dashcam to avoid leaving evidence. You should go absolutely bananas. It doesn't take 26 miles to hear the ominous clunk of the sunroof. Maybe...2,600'. They should give you a couple free oil changes or something...
Why would you go bananas? [If it was your car] You authorized the car manufacturer's dealership's service center to analyze and make repairs. It's up to them to determine the process of how and what needs to be done to accomplish the service needed. 26 miles is only 10-12 minutes of 60 mph driving plus some street driving getting back to the shop (done twice). They gladly reported the mileage driven. The service center (and the employee is some states) has a right not to be recorded when servicing a customer's vehicle.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-27-18 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-27-18, 02:08 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

sadly the tech and service department have a reasonable expectation of privacy on their property and in their service bays, so technically they can disconnect the camera and most do, however it is more professional if they ask you to do it.

while you DO have a legal right to record IN PUBLIC or in PUBLIC PLACES ON PRIVATE PROPERTY, you do not have a right to record on their private property. Nor in most states do you have a right to record a conversation or someone's face without their knowledge, even if the camera is in plain view.
Old 07-27-18, 02:45 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by songoku
I carefully drive my car and watch over my MPG. I usually get about 22.0~23.0 MPG combination of 40city / 60 freeway driving.

When I picked up the vehicle, I noticed the MPG dropped down to 19.2. sign of abuse?
They probably let the car idle quite a bit while in the shop. That will kill your trip mpg faster than anything. I notice the same thing on my car and they didn't test drive it all (mileage in = mileage out) so my only reasoning is that they had let it idle for a while when working on it.
Old 07-27-18, 07:52 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
Why would you go bananas? [If it was your car] You authorized the car manufacturer's dealership's service center to analyze and make repairs. It's up to them to determine the process of how and what needs to be done to accomplish the service needed. 26 miles is only 10-12 minutes of 60 mph driving plus some street driving getting back to the shop (done twice). They gladly reported the mileage driven. The service center (and the employee is some states) has a right not to be recorded when servicing a customer's vehicle.
I didn't say "I" would go bananas. I wouldn't. I say "he" should.

I don't care if they put 40 miles on my car as long as they stand by fixing it.
Old 07-28-18, 09:03 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't say "I" would go bananas. I wouldn't. I say "he" should.

I don't care if they put 40 miles on my car as long as they stand by fixing it.
I presumed that if you think 'he' should go absolutely bananas, that suggests that if the same thing happened to you, that you would go absolutely bananas. I'll rephrase my question. Why do you think that he should go absolutely bananas?

I'm just curious to know what your thoughts were/are...
Old 07-28-18, 09:15 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The OP defined specific conditions where he heard the noise. It would seem to me that a drive to duplicate the conditions prior to the repair then a repeat after to verify the the fix worked would be necessary. Finding these conditions may easily require some driving. I don't think the 26 miles was excessive. Disconnecting the dash cam is normal especially in this time where lawsuits are filed over virtually nothing.
Old 07-28-18, 02:55 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

I presumed that if you think 'he' should go absolutely bananas, that suggests that if the same thing happened to you, that you would go absolutely bananas. I'll rephrase my question. Why do you think that he should go absolutely bananas?

I'm just curious to know what your thoughts were/are...
It's seems all the rage now - to get nuts on service. Ok...OP, don't go nut/bananas (yet). They should go a little more in depth as to why the cam was disabled and should be able to detail how they got 26 miles on the car. Was it an overnight? Was it just rolling around. Quite honestly, my dealership calls me for nearly everything when my GS is in their possession. Blurry lines of assumption never did any dealer any good for its reputation. There should be a level of transparency that is obvious and being pushed from the dealer to the customer. Not entirely saying the OPs wasn't but it seems as if he has questions and there shouldn't be any.
Old 07-28-18, 03:05 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

say they had to go test drive it once to replicate sound and pinpoint it. 6 miles out and back which might be like 1 or 2 exits on the freeway.

Then after doing the work, 1 more loop to verify its gone.
I wouldnt go bananas if the problem is fixed.
Old 07-29-18, 10:07 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

A few (many?) years ago, I had a new Mercedes 500SL. The warning light for impending roll bar deployment kept going off, so I took it to the dealer for evaluation. They had the car for several days. One day, my wife and son were out and about and saw an identical 500SL pull into a local restaurant, where a couple got out and went to lunch. My son said, "Look, Mom, dad's car!" She said, "No, it's just a similar car." My son asked, "Then why does it have dad's license plate?" When I confronted the dealer, they told me they were out for a road test. I traded the Mercedes for a new Lexus SC400, which I drove for the next 18 years.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (07-29-18)

Quick Reply: Dealer test drive 26 miles????