GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Joined the family too.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 11:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Thanks, the search was getting way too long, it was just annoying me, when I saw that one had dropped significantly in price from a few months ago I decided I was going to get it if nothing was wrong with it if the other LS's and GS's i was looking at fell through which they did. I am very happy with it, even with the crappy Dunlops it rides a lot nicer then I was expecting, closer to a LS then I was expecting. Luxury package was a definite must for me though I probably could have gone with a F sport too if worse came to worse, those Luxury packages are few and far between.
It really is a great car, I really liked mine. If I didn’t really want the LS and need the bigger backseat for the kids I might just have kept it.

They do ride well too, I was really surprised by how well they ride. Wait until you get a really good set of tires on it too.
Old 07-31-18, 04:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I think you are right Steve. He was searching for an address in the wrong city/state, which didn't exist. He needs to add the correct city first for the address he wants to enter.
I am pretty sure I put the right city in for my home address first. It just would not let me enter the full address when I started messing with it, when I did a main road it did not warn me of a main turn to get to the road.
Old 07-31-18, 05:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Here are some just okay cell phone pics. Nothing that people have not already seen.

I like the mesh grill from the F Sport more. Can you swap out F sport grills with a non F sport, are there any good aftermarket mesh grills that look like the F sport?
Old 07-31-18, 05:58 PM
JLRespTher
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks sweet welcome to the fam!
Old 07-31-18, 07:30 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I think you are right Steve. He was searching for an address in the wrong city/state, which didn't exist. He needs to add the correct city first for the address he wants to enter.
That's happened to me on occasion too.
Old 07-31-18, 10:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

It really is a great car, I really liked mine. If I didn’t really want the LS and need the bigger backseat for the kids I might just have kept it.

They do ride well too, I was really surprised by how well they ride. Wait until you get a really good set of tires on it too.
I can see about the back seat and wanting more room for kids or adults, I don't think it has any more room then my 2nd Gen GS had, thought they would have given it some more room which I think would have helped with sales. Having the rear seat controls but the rear a little cramped is somewhat odd. I sit far back and recline so if anyone is behind me there is very little room.

Ride is better then what I remember from the last time I drove a GS for a extended period. I don't know what happened but when I drove a 2016 GS luxury it felt so slow and lethargic. I seriously thought they had given me a 4cyl or I was in some kind of aggressive economy mode because it just felt so slow. I have read for 2016 some think they may have changed the gearing for fuel economy or maybe it just wasn't broke in but it turned me off, that is when I seriously considered the LS460 for the V8. This one however felt more powerful as soon as I drove it, felt about as quick as my GS430, maybe quicker, doesn't feel under powered. I still don't understand why the 3rd Generation GS'350's are quicker though if they are using the same engine/trans, some tests have them doing 0-60 in 5.2 to 5.3 sec where the 4th Gen is generally about half a second slower in most tests.
Old 08-01-18, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Here are some just okay cell phone pics. Nothing that people have not already seen.

I like the mesh grill from the F Sport more. Can you swap out F sport grills with a non F sport, are there any good aftermarket mesh grills that look like the F sport?
Sharp! I like the darker finish wheels that came out in 2014 also (the ones you have). My 2013 had the same wheels, but mine were a lighter finish.

Yes, you can swap the grills. Theres a thread in here that I started years ago where that was confirmed and some people did it.

I can see about the back seat and wanting more room for kids or adults, I don't think it has any more room then my 2nd Gen GS had, thought they would have given it some more room which I think would have helped with sales. Having the rear seat controls but the rear a little cramped is somewhat odd. I sit far back and recline so if anyone is behind me there is very little room.

Ride is better then what I remember from the last time I drove a GS for a extended period. I don't know what happened but when I drove a 2016 GS luxury it felt so slow and lethargic. I seriously thought they had given me a 4cyl or I was in some kind of aggressive economy mode because it just felt so slow. I have read for 2016 some think they may have changed the gearing for fuel economy or maybe it just wasn't broke in but it turned me off, that is when I seriously considered the LS460 for the V8. This one however felt more powerful as soon as I drove it, felt about as quick as my GS430, maybe quicker, doesn't feel under powered. I still don't understand why the 3rd Generation GS'350's are quicker though if they are using the same engine/trans, some tests have them doing 0-60 in 5.2 to 5.3 sec where the 4th Gen is generally about half a second slower in most tests.
They did make some engine and transmission changes in 16, and is it also possible you drove the 8 speed in the 16 and your 14 is a 6 speed?

Yeah the back seat was a weird combination of goodies but very little room. With the kids carseats installed no joke, my wife and I could not even get into the front seats, I'n only 6' and she is 5'10.

It remains one of the most surprising cars I've ever had. I really bought it over the ES because I loved the interior, and I was really worried about the ride because I am such a ride vs handling guy. Nothing to worry about, I really liked the ride and REALLY liked the duality of the car.
Old 08-01-18, 08:53 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Sharp! I like the darker finish wheels that came out in 2014 also (the ones you have). My 2013 had the same wheels, but mine were a lighter finish.

Yes, you can swap the grills. Theres a thread in here that I started years ago where that was confirmed and some people did it.

They did make some engine and transmission changes in 16, and is it also possible you drove the 8 speed in the 16 and your 14 is a 6 speed?

Yeah the back seat was a weird combination of goodies but very little room. With the kids carseats installed no joke, my wife and I could not even get into the front seats, I'n only 6' and she is 5'10.

It remains one of the most surprising cars I've ever had. I really bought it over the ES because I loved the interior, and I was really worried about the ride because I am such a ride vs handling guy. Nothing to worry about, I really liked the ride and REALLY liked the duality of the car.
I like the wheels, did not know they were lighter in 2013, I actually would have liked the even darker F sports. I think painting the calipers copper will be a nice look.

Good news on swapping out the grills.

It was the 8 speed 2016 I test drove, remember the salesman trying to sell me on the 8 speed which I thought would have been better then the 6 speed when it came to acceleration but it wasn't, I see where many say the 6 speed just feels quicker and better and there is no real fuel economy improvement with the 8 speed either.

I am 6 foot too but no kids yet. It would still be nice to have more leg room when people are in the back or to use for storage, I figured they could have done something over the generations to give it some more room especially if they offered rear seat controls in the 4th Gen. At least the rear is not as bad as the IS. One of the things I was thinking with possibly a LS460 long wheel base was not for passengers but the extra storage space in the rear leg area that I could put stuff for trips/moves.

After driving the car even on the crappy Dunlops I can't see how anyone would find the ride too rough, it is very smooth, pretty soft, more LS like then I thought it would be but still handles well.
Old 08-01-18, 02:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I have two kids with car seats and we have no space issues. Plenty of room for the four of us. We have slim car seats and that made all the difference.

Enjoy the ride. Looks great!
Old 08-01-18, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mine were the slimmest car seats I could find...
Old 08-01-18, 03:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Not sure what to say other than we have plenty of room to be comfortable. No issues at all, even with my long legs.
Old 08-01-18, 03:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Totally depends on your height and build. Like I said we couldn’t even get into the car with rear facing car seats installed.
Lets put it this way, I found the SWB LS tight in the rear with my kids too, which is one of the reasons I upgraded that to the LWB.
Old 08-01-18, 03:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Yeah, rear facing seats are a real challenge. I’m speaking of front facing, and we have no issues at all. It was tighter when we had a rear facing seat, thought my 5’8” wife could still ride in front, just not as comfortably as preferred. Thankfully that’s no longer an issue.
Old 08-01-18, 03:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,559 Posts

I think the rear leg room in the GS 350 is very lacking. Adults sitting in the rear can be uncomfortable, especially if normal height front seat occupants have their seats positioned back where they are comfortable.
Old 08-01-18, 03:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I remember driving my cousin and his wife and my wife 5 hours to WV in my GS, about 1/2 way through they were crying bloody murder in the back seat.

Quick Reply: Joined the family too.