GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Joined the family too.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 06:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I remember driving my cousin and his wife and my wife 5 hours to WV in my GS, about 1/2 way through they were crying bloody murder in the back seat.
I used have 2 of my friends in the back seat of my Mitsu Eclipse and either friend or girlfriend in the passenger seat when I was in college for beach trips, talk about misery in that back seat and that was with the driver and passenger putting their seats forward, it was only about a hour and half drive though. Car was so heavy acceleration was noticeably worse with its weak 4 cylinder. They would have loved the back of the GS compared to my Eclipse but they managed back there without too much complaining, guess it was worth it to get a ride the beach.
Old 08-02-18, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

A ride to the beach is a ride to the beach! Haha
Old 08-21-18, 10:13 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I took the GS on vacation to the East Coast. Great car to take trips on. Very smooth, good fuel economy for what it is 28-30mpg highway with a pretty loaded car, saw 31.4 at one point, no hiccups which you always worry about when you buy a used car with some miles on it. Still have not played with all the features yet but I was surprised to see it had that mood lighting thing coming from under the wood trim on the doors on the trip, I did not even know it had that. Car has a big trunk too that swallows a lot of stuff. AC is ice cold, actually I was taking steps on the trip to try to make it not so cold as I was cold in the car even with jeans on. I did not notice any real difference between AC seats in LS vs ventilated seats in GS, felt pretty much the same to me.

Only thing I noticed was when using cruise control when going down hills on the highway it downshifted kind of rough a few times, I had it in eco mode, don't know if that is normal or not. It has around 60K miles after the trip so it is due for a oil change and I might do a drain and fill also when I do the oil change, car idle's pretty smooth so I am going to hold off on changing the spark plugs but will probably do a differential change too. The car makes that whining noise when accelerating so I will be having the TSB for AWD GS's done soon, looks like you get new motor mounts from reading it which is nice.

Only other thing I noticed was a slight metallic rubbing sound in the wheel area mainly when backing up and turning sharp like something is possibly touching or possibly rattling like a brake shield to the disc or wheel, I have heard a similar sound in other cars and will look further into it when I paint my calipers.

I ordered a F sport front grill which I got for cheap, not a fan of the standard grill after looking at it for a few weeks, still need to get the lower F sport grill, waiting for a good deal to come up. Will likely do some LED fogs next.

Last edited by UDel; 08-21-18 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 10:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Only thing I noticed was when using cruise control when going down hills on the highway it downshifted kind of rough a few times,
My GS had a very weird way of downshifting when using cruise control going down hills. It would kind of buck almost up and down between two gears, very odd...
Old 08-21-18, 11:01 AM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

IOnly thing I noticed was when using cruise control when going down hills on the highway it downshifted kind of rough a few times, I had it in eco mode, don't know if that is normal or not.
Yes, the car does that when rolling down the hill with cruise control on. First few times it happened to me I was like confused but it's just how it is. Not the best in the world but it works well enough for me.
Old 08-21-18, 02:06 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My GS had a very weird way of downshifting when using cruise control going down hills. It would kind of buck almost up and down between two gears, very odd...
Noticed the same thing, RPM's go up and down like it is bobbing when going down hills on cruise, guess it is changing gears but I did not really feel the shifts most of the time, couple times though on steeper hills I could feel it downshifting and it was kind of rough. I guess it is pretty normal then.
Old 08-21-18, 03:27 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Yes, the car does that when rolling down the hill with cruise control on. First few times it happened to me I was like confused but it's just how it is. Not the best in the world but it works well enough for me.
I think it ties in with the "low rolling resistance" theme I've read about and is just the car's way of trying to keep the speed you wanted since it can't apply brakes without disengaging cruise (on older models, not sure how the DRCC models handle this).
Old 08-21-18, 06:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Noticed the same thing, RPM's go up and down like it is bobbing when going down hills on cruise, guess it is changing gears but I did not really feel the shifts most of the time, couple times though on steeper hills I could feel it downshifting and it was kind of rough. I guess it is pretty normal then.
Totally normal, there was an old thread about it here when I had my GS too where somebody mentioned it and I said it wasn't normal until I felt it too on a trip to WV where I drove it in the mountains.

Originally Posted by np20412
I think it ties in with the "low rolling resistance" theme I've read about and is just the car's way of trying to keep the speed you wanted since it can't apply brakes without disengaging cruise (on older models, not sure how the DRCC models handle this).
Its the only car I've ever felt behave that way, and I've owned a lot of Lexus vehicles, my 2015 LS without adaptive cruise didnt behave that way, nor does my 2017 LS with adaptive cruise, although it can apply the brakes obviously...which it does to hold speed.
Old 08-28-18, 03:03 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Congrats on the GS - You can't enter addresses while the car is moving more than 3-5mph i believe...there is a bypass for this you can search the forum..

The AWD models do have a whine noise and some exhibit the noise under light throttle especially between 30-60 mph. I had it addressed under warranty by the dealership (it was a TSB: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=192696). I still have a whine under light throttle at 60mph but its nothing crazy.

Enjoy it!
I did the TSB for the whine, made no difference in the whine noise, still have it. It is not a horrible noise, will just have to get used to it, maybe I will just pretend and tell people I have a super charger. Guess I at least got a few new parts, think one of them is a new motor mount.
Old 08-28-18, 04:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mine also had that whine noise.
Old 08-28-18, 05:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Either mine doesn’t have it or I just can’t tell.
Old 08-28-18, 09:27 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Either mine doesn’t have it or I just can’t tell.
Is yours AWD? Only seems to effect AWD but I have heard a similar whine noise on other newer vehicles I have test drove, especially Lexus/Toyota when accelerating, I did not notice it on the RX loaner I had but it was not AWD. There is no missing it when you have the radio off/down and AC low and everything is quiet, if the radio is on and AC blowing harder it is not very noticeable.
Old 08-29-18, 06:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Is yours AWD? Only seems to effect AWD but I have heard a similar whine noise on other newer vehicles I have test drove, especially Lexus/Toyota when accelerating, I did not notice it on the RX loaner I had but it was not AWD. There is no missing it when you have the radio off/down and AC low and everything is quiet, if the radio is on and AC blowing harder it is not very noticeable.
Yes, mine is AWD.
Old 08-29-18, 05:02 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

I did the TSB for the whine, made no difference in the whine noise, still have it. It is not a horrible noise, will just have to get used to it, maybe I will just pretend and tell people I have a super charger. Guess I at least got a few new parts, think one of them is a new motor mount.
Agreed - after the fix, the noise was essentially gone from 45mph-55mph. It seems to be worse as I get closer to 60mph but its under light throttle with no music/AC on that I hear it most. As soon as the speedometer reaches 62mph the noise is gone.

Also if you plan on LED fogs, I recommend VLEDS (not the cheapest but high quality and excellent output): http://www.vleds.com/shop-applicatio...ights/h11.html