GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So Carista... Should I get it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 04:42 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts
Default So Carista... Should I get it?

I really want the window roll down function, especially in sunny South Florida. And to get the feature, it would be worth it to me to pay the $$$. I've read about some cable that connects through the OBDII port that also performs these type of programming, but I am a little wary about using such "patchy and sketchy" types of tools. I would hate to brick my ECU.

So... what else can Carista do that makes it worth having? What have other Carista owners done?
Old 08-07-18, 04:55 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Why not just take it to your Lexus dealer? They will do it for free. Takes a few minutes.
Old 08-07-18, 07:28 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought it was worth it. I was able to use it on my GS as well as my wife's RX. Some things I've used it for was to turn off seat belt chime, fold in auto mirrors when car turns off instead of only when locked, and register new TPMS. The register TPMS was only available as a beta tester.
Old 08-07-18, 08:34 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I have it and I think it's well worth the small price. I've used it to program the window roll down feature on my current GS, my last GS, turned off the automatic seat heater/cool down feature on the '13 GS (didn't have the option like newer models), turned off the daytime running lights on my older brother's '08 LS, set the window roll down feature on my younger brother's '16 GS, and a couple other customizations on my prior BMW. I'm just figuring out capability on my wife's MDX so maybe there will be some hidden gems there.

So yea, I think it's a good thing to buy. Plus, if you ever need to check a code that was tripped, you're ready. One note, when I bought it a few years ago I had a one-time in app purchase for the customization feature (think it was $20) which gives the ability to roll down the windows with your key fob, but now I believe they have an annual license/fee for this feature.
Old 08-07-18, 09:08 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyIS
I have it and I think it's well worth the small price. I've used it to program the window roll down feature on my current GS, my last GS, turned off the automatic seat heater/cool down feature on the '13 GS (didn't have the option like newer models), turned off the daytime running lights on my older brother's '08 LS, set the window roll down feature on my younger brother's '16 GS, and a couple other customizations on my prior BMW. I'm just figuring out capability on my wife's MDX so maybe there will be some hidden gems there.

So yea, I think it's a good thing to buy. Plus, if you ever need to check a code that was tripped, you're ready. One note, when I bought it a few years ago I had a one-time in app purchase for the customization feature (think it was $20) which gives the ability to roll down the windows with your key fob, but now I believe they have an annual license/fee for this feature.
where in NC are you? Do you have the limited access from before their subscription service time? I’d come to you for a fee to get some stuff done lol
Old 08-07-18, 10:26 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

y not buy the techstream wire from eBay? Cheaper and you can do so much more..

Carista is more convenient but you'll only use this thing like 3 times during your ownership.
Old 08-07-18, 10:39 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
I really want the window roll down function, especially in sunny South Florida. And to get the feature, it would be worth it to me to pay the $$$. I've read about some cable that connects through the OBDII port that also performs these type of programming, but I am a little wary about using such "patchy and sketchy" types of tools. I would hate to brick my ECU.

So... what else can Carista do that makes it worth having? What have other Carista owners done?
What led you to believe that a 3rd party app by Carista is safer than "patchy and sketchy" cable that is actually used to run the official Techstream software from Toyota/Lexus?

I think Carista is way overpriced for what it is now with the subscription based model.
Old 08-07-18, 11:13 AM
donkiboy
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by er34
What led you to believe that a 3rd party app by Carista is safer than "patchy and sketchy" cable that is actually used to run the official Techstream software from Toyota/Lexus?

I think Carista is way overpriced for what it is now with the subscription based model.
Would you recommend this one that I found on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-VCI-J2...LH_TitleDesc=0
Old 08-07-18, 11:19 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
y not buy the techstream wire from eBay? Cheaper and you can do so much more..

Carista is more convenient but you'll only use this thing like 3 times during your ownership.
those come with viruses. And I don’t have an extra computer to spare. Plus I’m just concerned about what it could do to the car
Old 08-07-18, 11:21 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx

where in NC are you? Do you have the limited access from before their subscription service time? I’d come to you for a fee to get some stuff done lol
I have the full access. Before they offered the subscription they only offered a one-time fee to have the custom features for life... then they got smart and found a model to bring recurring revenue through subscriptions. I’m in the Raleigh area so glad to hook up and make any mods, fee free
Old 08-07-18, 11:24 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Originally Posted by IndyIS

I have the full access. Before they offered the subscription they only offered a one-time fee to have the custom features for life... then they got smart and found a model to bring recurring revenue through subscriptions. I’m in the Raleigh area so glad to hook up and make any mods, fee free
ill probably hit you up sometime when I make it up there 😉
Old 08-07-18, 12:39 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

those come with viruses. And I don’t have an extra computer to spare. Plus I’m just concerned about what it could do to the car
......?
Old 08-07-18, 12:40 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

wowzers...
Old 08-07-18, 12:46 PM
maclem8223
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Can someone explain to me how a cable gets a computer virus???
Old 08-07-18, 12:49 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by maclem8223
Can someone explain to me how a cable gets a computer virus???
I suspect from using your cable while on a toilet seat.

Quick Reply: So Carista... Should I get it?