GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Apple music via ipod and Android for phone via bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 09:58 AM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Apple music via ipod and Android for phone via bluetooth

I did a search and found some good info on Apple Music but I have a more specific question. I'm the sole android user in my family, and we got a family plan for apple music. I've always been jealous how cars always integrate well with apple via usb cable and thought about dedicating an old iphone or ipod shuffle to permanently stay in glove box for this(download playlists via wifi at home or wifi tether on the android phone). If I do this i have a few questions.

2015 GS350 fsport with ML stereo

- will and android phone connected simultaneously still work for audio phone calls while apple music is playing?

- does anybody use apple music via a dedicated player? any pet peeves?
Old 08-16-18, 12:12 PM
MikeLucky
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Apple music app on Android works fine with the Bluetooth in my '13. All the song information shows on the screen and the steering wheel controls work for volume up and down, track up and down, and long presses on "mode" button are for pause/play.
Old 08-16-18, 01:22 PM
mikesd1980
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I believe any music app will work fine via bluetooth. I'm an android fan and tried pluging my S9 into the usb port but it nevers connects. My work phone is a iphone and it comes up as ipod and the song artwork comes up, Its nice to have. I have 14.
Old 08-16-18, 01:59 PM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 165 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a 2015 and like you am the only android user in my family. I have an older phone (as of today) a Samsung Note5, but I have a Note9 on order for later this month! I hope I have no issues with the new phone.

I do not plug my phone in via USB (I have a USB drive in there with a few thousand songs that I can switch to anytime), but instead I either use Enform or Bluetooth to listen to Pandora. Enform I can tell you is picky...lots of issues though I like how it starts automatically (when it works). I constantly have to 'link' and 'unlink' the account just to get it to work. Its a PITA! To be honest, its the one thing I don't like about the car because you can customize it or get it to work consistently.

For Bluetooth, it works great all the time, but I have to manually start Pandora. When either Enform( when it is working) or Bluetooth is used, there is no problem when phone calls come in or I make a phone call from the phone. The same goes for texts... like that I can read them on the screen.

One other thing on Enform, I pay for Pandora plus which is supposed to have unlimited skips, but I only get 6 skips max per hour per 'station' on it, which I wish Lexus would get off their butts and fix.
Old 08-16-18, 04:37 PM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Just ordered a cheap refurbished ipod touch 6 for a 100 bucks. Time will tell if the in unit integration is worth it via going with just bluetooth. I'll report back.
Old 09-11-18, 08:38 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthCholo
Just ordered a cheap refurbished ipod touch 6 for a 100 bucks. Time will tell if the in unit integration is worth it via going with just bluetooth. I'll report back.
How is it?
Old 09-11-18, 09:57 AM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by shenry500
How is it?
Not worth it. Apple integration with Enform still isn't seamless enough as simply having my android phone playing over bluetooth. It might have more to do with Enform not being intuitive enough. Generally speaking Enform little mouse thing isn't' as good as a scroll wheel on my old Idrive from BMW.

I am keeping the IPOD touch as my dedicated audio player with wired Sennheiser HD6XX and portable FiiO balanced headphone amp.
Old 09-11-18, 11:28 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

Me and the wife have two iphones in the car, i have found you can connect one using Bluetooth and the other using the iPod connectivity, then just switch sources. If you set up google maps to play as as phone call you can listen to music on one phone add get directions/make calls/whatever with the other; that might work for your application. Biggest thing i have noticed is enform apps use bluetooth both for data AND audio, so if you want to use the iHeart radio or Pandora app, the phone connected using bluetooth has to be running the enform app. hopefully this helps.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (09-11-18)
Old 09-11-18, 02:44 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthCholo
Not worth it. Apple integration with Enform still isn't seamless enough as simply having my android phone playing over bluetooth. It might have more to do with Enform not being intuitive enough. Generally speaking Enform little mouse thing isn't' as good as a scroll wheel on my old Idrive from BMW.

I am keeping the IPOD touch as my dedicated audio player with wired Sennheiser HD6XX and portable FiiO balanced headphone amp.
Ok good to know thanks. I'll stick with my USB stick and just have to reduce my folder count so it isn't a huge pain to scroll thru them.