GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

FSport RWD vs AWD cost of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 11:30 PM
Bendaii
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FSport RWD vs AWD cost of ownership

Out of curiosity: which FSport has higher cost of ownership? AWD has higher purchase price and lower mileage, but I assume RWD has more expensive tires and brakes. Driving/handling dynamics aside I wonder if I should purchase AWD next time due to cost considerations.
Old 08-17-18, 08:10 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 361 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Bendaii
Out of curiosity: which FSport has higher cost of ownership? AWD has higher purchase price and lower mileage, but I assume RWD has more expensive tires and brakes. Driving/handling dynamics aside I wonder if I should purchase AWD next time due to cost considerations.
IMHO if the difference between cost of ownership between AWD and RWD is a deciding factor then it would seem the car is out of budget or at the very max of budget.
Old 08-17-18, 10:44 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,159 Likes on 855 Posts

To me, the cost differences offset. The difference in terms of ownership costs for 5 or 6 years isn't enough to justify one over the other.

You'll pay more upfront for the AWD F Sport and a slight penalty in gas mileage over time. The RWD F-Sport will cost less up front but wear and tear items like brakes/rotors/tires will be more expensive but the RWD should be better on gas overall. Comes down to preference and needs (some of us need AWD because of the weather and its tougher to find RWD models in our markets).
Old 08-17-18, 10:55 AM
MorrisGray
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't assume money budget has anything to do with it. I am shopping for a new car now myself and I am interested in knowing the cost of AWD vs RWD vs FWD myself. I am not a young chicken and common sense would tell me AWD would have to be the most expensive version of the same car model to purchase, own and operate. AWD adds weight and more things to possibly repair to the car and will get less fuel mileage I assume. Then from what I have heard, you can't just replace two tires that may be worn on the front like many people do, but you have to replace all four at the same time because it is AWD and each tire needs to be the same exact diameter. So I hear anyway.
You may say things like what a person should or shouldn't do to keep an eye on their tires and other items to prevent things, but most people do not and it has nothing to do with their money budget.
... I know I am new here, but I wasn't born yesterday and I mean no disrespect to anyone by what I am saying. I have never owned a Lexus before. Many Honda models, Hyundai Genesis and Mazda3 right now with an older Chev Silverado and 2 motorcycles. I am considering many different models to replace my Mazda3 and some of those include the Lexus IS, ES, GS if they have the v6 naturally aspirated motor. I am not ready for all the new turbo assisted motors, no CVT transmissions and I wish the IS series was available with a manual transmission.
Old 08-17-18, 11:05 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

The approach here is all wrong. It shouldn't be which has a higher cost of ownership? It should be do I want/need AWD? And then is it worth it for me?

Comparing cost of ownership of RWD vs AWD is a very loaded question. Too man variables involved to make an accurate assessment. Me for example, I don't drive often so gas mileage savings, wear and tear for me is negligible between AWD and RWD. Did I want AWD? Yes. Was it worth it to me? Yes.
Old 08-17-18, 11:53 AM
MorrisGray
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For you I understand. But I believe many people possibly buy an AWD simply because they think it is better to have with all the hype and truth of better traction all the time equals a safer car. No doubt, I believe that too but it doesn't mean that they necessarily need AWD and many people don't know about the added expenses related to their purchase decision.
>>> Again I do not mean to be disrespectful, I just like to learn by research and help others when I can.
... I live in NW GA, I live 3 miles from my workplace, I drive a tractor trailer for my job. If it is too dangerous to go anywhere I don't. I have a RWD vehicle and a FWD vehicle but never owned or driven an AWD car. I have owned 4WD jeeps and trucks before. I just don't want to pay the extra expense or upkeep for AWD regardless.
>>> But like you said, each person's needs or desires may vary.
... And again, all of this has nothing to do with how much money I can spend.
Old 08-17-18, 12:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I have AWD, but certainly don't need AWD. For me, it is a luxury, much in the way that I don't need a Lexus. I appreciate AWD for the way it handles in rain and occasional snowfall, and for the times we go up to the mountain passes in the winter.

As for cost, my gut feeling is that it's pretty much a wash. There is the higher upfront cost and the slightly reduced gas mileage. On my F Sport, all 4 tires are the same size so they can be rotated, allowing more even wear, and it has the less expensive brakes, so when replacement is due I will save some money there.
Old 08-17-18, 12:07 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
The approach here is all wrong. It shouldn't be which has a higher cost of ownership? It should be do I want/need AWD? And then is it worth it for me?

Comparing cost of ownership of RWD vs AWD is a very loaded question. Too man variables involved to make an accurate assessment. Me for example, I don't drive often so gas mileage savings, wear and tear for me is negligible between AWD and RWD. Did I want AWD? Yes. Was it worth it to me? Yes.
Driving style is one factor. My family vehicles are all AWD with extra set of tires/rims for winter due to the location where we live. AWD costs more in fuel. Personally whatever I want/need I just get it without concern for running cost.
Old 08-17-18, 12:10 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

This is why I wrote want/need in my question. If we are talking solely on need, no one NEEDS a Lexus. The question is do you want/need it? Then figure out what is it worth to you.

You can argue it all sorts of ways. Some people will argue their Brembo brakes and super suspension got them out of a serious car accident. So was it worth it to them? Sure. Hell I can argue AWD got me out of a car accident also.
Old 08-17-18, 12:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
This is why I wrote want/need in my question. If we are talking solely on need, no one NEEDS a Lexus. The question is do you want/need it? Then figure out what is it worth to you.

You can argue it all sorts of ways. Some people will argue their Brembo brakes and super suspension got them out of a serious car accident. So was it worth it to them? Sure. Hell I can argue AWD got me out of a car accident also.
Agreed. I wanted AWD, so I got it.
Old 08-17-18, 01:50 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 396 Posts

That is one thing that is better with AWD being able to rotate tires. I chose RWD for my GS living here in the rust belt. I grew up on RWD's and seldom had issues driving in the snow. Fortunately I have a AWD RX for winter driving. My goal is to keep my GS off the street to avoid salt exposure during the winter. I do drive it in the winter when the streets are dry.
Old 08-17-18, 10:23 PM
Bendaii
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input. My takeaways are a) cost difference is negligible, so b) make the decision of AWD vs RWD based on other considerations.
Old 08-18-18, 04:13 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Bendaii
Thanks everyone for your input. My takeaways are a) cost difference is negligible, so b) make the decision of AWD vs RWD based on other considerations.
First, what do you want in a car? I'd guess the costs are pretty much a wash once purchased within a small margin. MPG is a bit higher on RWD but it isn't a big difference.

Second, I'm a RWD (or AWD) bigot. I despise a FWD car for anything other than basic transportation. No fun in those things.

I bought my first Lexus in January. It's an AWD 2013 GS 350. I have had probably 50 cars in my lifetime and drove probably a few hundred more during my years working for my dad's dealership. I currently have 4 cars counting the Lexus as my daily driver. Around here, we don't get much snow but the weather can still be a factor. Plus, I like to drive in a spirited manner when possible. The AWD Lexus goes where I point it and it won't spin a tire with everything turned off.

If you don't see much rain or snow, you'll probably be well pleased with a RWD. If you like to drive nearly as fast in less than ideal summer weather, the AWD is a great car as well. You will not be disappointed in either.
The following users liked this post:
corpnupe85 (08-18-18)
Old 08-18-18, 07:30 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

As stated before, there are plus and minuses to both so you gotta figure out what you need and what you want. Drive both and see. Awd you save on tires since you can rotate them but suppose you could do that with Rwd if you change out the rims to be all the same. It also has better handling in adverse weather but really as long as you drive responsibly rwd should work fine. Awd doesn’t have drs if that matters. Can’t say I really know the difference but I am amazed of how tight mine can turn, much more nimble than my old accord which I’m pretty sure is smaller since this class has grown since 05
Old 08-18-18, 09:47 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Unless you're doing killer mileage on the car the costs are likely a wash.... tires going to cost more on RWD because you'll be throwing the tires away more often, but other than that? meh.

I wanted an RWD but can't get up here because AWD GS are pretty much the default in the northeast. I would have had to drive (or fly) over 800 miles to pick up an RWD.

RWD doesn't have the drivers side hump. IMHO that's almost the biggest consideration. I don't mind it at all but if I had big legs, might be a difference maker...

Some people have said the AWD 6 speed shifts better than the RWD does, no gear hunting etc. The RWD 8 speed supposedly " hunts" a lot more but most of that is hearsay. I'm sure it settles out giving consistent speed on highway driving. I think early RWD cars had the 6 but those are likely unicorns at this point. Nobody buys 13s anyways unless they're trying to meet a low price target.

DRS is only available RWD but thats almost a non consideration if you're looked at used cars... finding cars with DRS is difficult, lol.

-Mike

Last edited by drgrant; 08-18-18 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply: FSport RWD vs AWD cost of ownership