GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

16 GS350 Luxury price check...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 03:42 AM
Yoder
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 16 GS350 Luxury price check...

Looking for some feedback if $35k sounds like a good deal for a 16 GS 350 RWD with luxury package. I think the only options it doesn’t have is the triple beam headlights and HUD. Has ML, power truck, and obviously everything hat comes with the lux pkg. The car has less than 15k miles and serviced at 2500, 5000 and 10000 miles.

I have a ES 350 now and my wife has a GX460. I am looking to get rid of the ES and upgrade to the GS.

Any my feedback is appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-22-18, 04:37 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Is it a CPO vehicle?
Old 08-22-18, 04:43 AM
Yoder
Driver

It is not CPO but it is for sale at a Lexus dealership. They said they choose not to CPO it to keep the price low.
Old 08-22-18, 04:48 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Just for reference, my 2015 CPO AWD F-Sport with 20k miles was priced at $36k, which was competitive with similar cars in the area. I did knock it down $2.5k though.

For a 2016 car with the Lux package and low miles, I'd say that this is a good price. However, it never hurts to negotiate
Old 08-22-18, 05:57 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoder
Looking for some feedback if $35k sounds like a good deal for a 16 GS 350 RWD with luxury package. I think the only options it doesn’t have is the triple beam headlights and HUD. Has ML, power truck, and obviously everything hat comes with the lux pkg. The car has less than 15k miles and serviced at 2500, 5000 and 10000 miles.

I have a ES 350 now and my wife has a GX460. I am looking to get rid of the ES and upgrade to the GS.

Any my feedback is appreciated. Thanks
Very good price considering the mileage and options (not AWD and not certified so that's definitely helping keep the price low). Also keep in mind that there aren't that many 2016+ GS's on the road and to find one with the Lux package within that smaller sample size is almost pure luck!
Old 08-22-18, 06:24 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Price is good, almost too good.

Take a nice long test drive, and have your own mechanic inspect it for prior collisions. Don't just take their word for it that they aren't certifying it because they wanted to price it low.
Old 08-22-18, 04:14 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

It is not CPO but it is for sale at a Lexus dealership. They said they choose not to CPO it to keep the price low.
I'd be wary of that reason they gave for not making it a CPO vehicle. That does not sound like what a typical Lexus dealership does - choosing not to CPO a Lexus vehicle in order to keep the price low. Maybe it needs a lot in order to bring it up to CPO standards, though I cannot imagine why that might be with such low mileage.

Ask them how much the price would increase if they did CPO the vehicle. If they agree to do it, then you can make a decision about whether the price difference is worth it to you.
Old 08-23-18, 06:28 AM
Yoder
Driver

Appreciate all of the feedback. I did ask the dealer how the price would change if it was Lcertified and they said that the certification usually adds about $3k to the price. I asked if they would be willing to do that as I drive 25-30K miles per year and the unlimited mileage warranty is attractive to me. They said they can't certify a car once they made the decision to not certify it. This car is quite far from me and I am unable to go look at it in person, I am having a 3rd party (LemonSquad) perform an inspection on the vehicle. When searching cars.com for 2016 GS 350 for sale, there were 107 cars and I think only 3 were luxury models. The price seemed low to me as well, which is why i was looking for some feedback. I have been looking for the right GS luxury for quite sometime now. I recently found another one but it was a 17 with 12K and was listed for $44k. I didn't like the color combo though. This car is my preferred color combo. A bit nerve wrecking that if everything checks out that I may buy a car sight unseen and have it shipped to me.
Old 08-23-18, 07:20 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Appreciate all of the feedback. I did ask the dealer how the price would change if it was Lcertified and they said that the certification usually adds about $3k to the price. I asked if they would be willing to do that as I drive 25-30K miles per year and the unlimited mileage warranty is attractive to me. They said they can't certify a car once they made the decision to not certify it. This car is quite far from me and I am unable to go look at it in person, I am having a 3rd party (LemonSquad) perform an inspection on the vehicle. When searching cars.com for 2016 GS 350 for sale, there were 107 cars and I think only 3 were luxury models. The price seemed low to me as well, which is why i was looking for some feedback. I have been looking for the right GS luxury for quite sometime now. I recently found another one but it was a 17 with 12K and was listed for $44k. I didn't like the color combo though. This car is my preferred color combo. A bit nerve wrecking that if everything checks out that I may buy a car sight unseen and have it shipped to me.
The strangest thing to me is a dealership stating that they won't certify the vehicle. Certification (as much as it is reconditioning and service related) is also part of marketing and sales. Its easier to sell a car that has an inherent extended warranty because of consumer perception.

A Lux package 2016 should be closer to $40k especially from a Lexus dealership. However, it is a different market from your own and the car is RWD. Do they have a dealer fee / documentation fee? I hope the Lemon check shows its not a lemon but just a diamond in the rough!
Old 08-23-18, 08:46 AM
Greekjim
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last thanksgiving when I was looking for a GS, I found a 2016 f sport not Lcertified. I asked the dealer from a big Chicago dealership how much it would cost to get it cerified and I was told $1,500. I just got a ‘15 cerified f sport.
Old 08-23-18, 08:58 AM
Yoder
Driver

Originally Posted by Greekjim
Last thanksgiving when I was looking for a GS, I found a 2016 f sport not Lcertified. I asked the dealer from a big Chicago dealership how much it would cost to get it cerified and I was told $1,500. I just got a ‘15 cerified f sport.
Thanks for the info, this is helpful. I think I read before on this forum (maybe not GS) that the cost for L certification was about 1500. When this dealership told me $3k, I told them that I have heard from other dealers that it was less to certify. I am now working with a more seasoned sales person instead of the internet team, so I have communicated a list of questions, one being can this car be certified and how much will it be. We'll see what he says.
Old 08-23-18, 10:13 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I have a very hard time accepting the dealership's excuse for not willing certify that car - "they can't certify a car once they made the decision to not certify it." Bull****. Personally, I would not trust that person...and sadly he represents the dealership, which doesn't say much for the dealership itself.

I would be very wary of that car, even if a so-called third-party expert looked at it and gave a thumbs-up opinion. There is usually a reason why a dealership sells certain lease returns, trade-ins and loaner vehicles at auction...and I strongly suspect there is a reason why the dealership refuses to certify that particular car. It makes me wonder how many other 2 year-old, low mileage, Lexus vehicles they have on their pre-owned lot that should be CPO'd, but are not. And, if so - why...

To CPO a vehicle it depends on a number of things and how much needs to be done in terms of parts and labor, such things as if the vehicle needs brakes, rotors, tires, oil & oil filter replacement, A/C & cabin air filter replacement, alignment, major maintenance service, brake fluid replacement, dent removal, window tint removal, extra detail, etc. CPO can add as little as $1,200 - $1,500 or as much as $3,000 - $3,500 depending on what is needed. Along with all the items noted above a certification comes with the added [Lexus branded] warranty. It's not like you are paying extra for CPO but getting nothing in value.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-23-18 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-23-18, 10:27 AM
Yoder
Driver

I received and update from the sales person I am now working with. They now say they can certify it, per his email "The car can in fact be certified and that would add approx. $1500 to the price. It was not certified before as it has 36 months and over 30,000 miles remaining on the original basic warranty and 60 months remaining warranty on the power-train/drive-train." Goes to show the internet folks have no idea what they are talking about. I should have been asked to transferred to a sales person/manager right away.

I received my inspection report back from LemonSquad (which BTW very happy with the level of detail and photos provided, feels like a good value for $149). This is the overall summary:
"This 2016 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport is in good running and driving condition with some issues of note. There were no obvious signs of previous damage from accidents or flood. There are small scratches on the left front door mirror, right side of the rear bumper, right front door, right front fender, center of the hood, and minor paint chips on the front bumper. The front bumper has scratches to the underside. Need to be under the vehicle to see these. The right front seat has stains and dirt on it. The left rear privacy net split at the rear, there's no crack or breaks in frame. There was only one key fob shown and no owners manual. Please check with the sales rep for this. The wheels are in good condition with no notable damage and the tires are wearing evenly with approximately 60% tread depth remaining. I found no issues on the test drive. The engine had plenty of power and there were no misfires or excessive smoking. The transmission shifted as designed with no harsh engagement or slipping. The steering was responsive and the suspension was firm and the vehicle handled well. There were no abnormal vibrations or odd noises. The brakes were firm with no pulsation felt. There were no leaks found to the underside of the vehicle. I hooked up my Scan Tool to the computer system and found no current or pending codes. All of the live data looked good with no issues reported. Overall a decent vehicle."

I also found out that this was the dealerships loaner car, so that may be contributing as why this is priced below market value. It shows up on the carfax as a personal lease but apparently they do an internal lease to the service department for the loaner vehicles. Not really thrilled about that it was a loaner, could have been abused a bit which coincides with the minor cosmetic damage listed in the LemonSquad report.
Old 08-23-18, 10:34 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It sounds like you now have a decision to make.
Old 08-23-18, 10:40 AM
Greekjim
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That’s a really in depth report for $150

Quick Reply: 16 GS350 Luxury price check...