GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Beatsonic Smart Phone mirroring

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-20, 05:18 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
I discovered something else today. If I connect a bluetooth mouse to my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S8) a standard mouse cursor appears that lets me interact with everything just like the touchscreen does. It seems odd to do that on a phone, but it gave me the idea for a bit of extra connectivity when using screen mirroring.

I ordered a bluetooth touchpad that I will place in the top tray of the center console and it can conveniently plug into the USB port or the use its internal battery. If I need to interact with the phone in a way the Google Assistant voice controls cannot, I can simply side back the center console (without flipping it open) and it will give me the perfect amount of space to use the touchpad. When not in use, its perfectly hidden and mimics an OEM look either way.

With that, I have a fully interactive Android OS on the OEM screen with OEM like controls, without the hassle of a second Android device permanently installed in the car and the stability of a Samsung android device that does not intercept anything in the native Lexus OS. I'll follow up once the touchpad is setup.
That's great! Would you mind including the link to the Bluetooth touchpad that you'll be using?
Old 08-11-20, 05:39 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by songoku
How much did it all cost you?
$426 with the wireless HDMI receiver that needs to be purchased separately.
Old 08-11-20, 05:42 PM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by Neophyte2b
That's great! Would you mind including the link to the Bluetooth touchpad that you'll be using?
It's a Logitech T651. It's actually not made anymore but I found one on Mercari. It should work but I'll confirm once it arrives. I couldn't find more than a couple that were bluetooth, an Apple one being the only other one.
Old 08-12-20, 08:14 AM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

It's a Logitech T651. It's actually not made anymore but I found one on Mercari. It should work but I'll confirm once it arrives. I couldn't find more than a couple that were bluetooth, an Apple one being the only other one.
Do you think something like
this this
would work?
Old 08-12-20, 10:31 AM
BMGS
Racer

Do you think something like this would work?
Possibly but it seems a bit clunky for what I had in mind on that top shelf of the console. If its BT it should work though, nice find!
Old 08-12-20, 11:10 AM
BMGS
Racer

Just got done with one other adjustment, I read that using a wired connection can possibly provide better frame rates and maybe quality. I never had any quality or connection issues using wireless on my TV, but just for the option of doing so, I ran the HDMI cable to the center console. It was previously tucked behind the radio with the wireless receiver attached to the other end. On my drive today, I did lose connection one time, not sure if it was an issue on the phone's or the receiver's end, but to keep the wired option, the HDMI input is easily accessible. The wire was run neatly along the OEM path of other wires and comes up through the bottom access panel that only needed a small notch with a Dremel.

My phone is usually hidden under the the closed cupholder tray while driving so if its in the center console instead, It wouldn't make a difference if it was wired or wireless. I am keeping it wireless for now. I will see if the change in location could help possible connection issues as well since the receiver is not anymore buried by the potential interference from the head unit and dozens of other modules and wires behind the dash.
Old 08-12-20, 07:04 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Just got done with one other adjustment, I read that using a wired connection can possibly provide better frame rates and maybe quality. I never had any quality or connection issues using wireless on my TV, but just for the option of doing so, I ran the HDMI cable to the center console. It was previously tucked behind the radio with the wireless receiver attached to the other end. On my drive today, I did lose connection one time, not sure if it was an issue on the phone's or the receiver's end, but to keep the wired option, the HDMI input is easily accessible. The wire was run neatly along the OEM path of other wires and comes up through the bottom access panel that only needed a small notch with a Dremel.

My phone is usually hidden under the the closed cupholder tray while driving so if its in the center console instead, It wouldn't make a difference if it was wired or wireless. I am keeping it wireless for now. I will see if the change in location could help possible connection issues as well since the receiver is not anymore buried by the potential interference from the head unit and dozens of other modules and wires behind the dash.
Have you tried it with the wired connection? Does it actually give sharper resolution?
Old 08-13-20, 02:35 AM
BMGS
Racer

Have you tried it with the wired connection? Does it actually give sharper resolution?
I haven't tried it yet. I think the improvement may be more for quality of connection rather than image quality. I would imagine that since it's converted back to an analog signal, any incremental image quality gains from the wired connection would be lost at that conversion, but I may be wrong.

On my home tv, I always have a crisp smooth image when using the wireless screen mirroring so I am not sure how much there is to gain going wired other than connection stability.

Its possible wired will use less power but then you also give up the ability to charge the phone while casting unless a charging pad is installed.
The following users liked this post:
Neophyte2b (08-13-20)
Old 08-19-20, 02:21 AM
BMGS
Racer

The touchpad didn't work. It paired with my phone but a cursor did not appear. I ended up going with a small Logitech bluetooth mouse and it works great. I can adjust the cursor speed on the phone so that I can use the mouse in the little tray after sliding back the center console arm rest. It works great to manipulate a map, control apps that are outside of voice control etc.. and keep the phone hidden away in the center console.

Last edited by BMGS; 08-19-20 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-19-20, 04:21 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

BMGS I looked for a similar trackpad a couple of years ago but never found anything either which is quite surprising!
The following users liked this post:
BMGS (08-19-20)
Old 08-19-20, 04:47 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by Cwang
BMGS I looked for a similar trackpad a couple of years ago but never found anything either which is quite surprising!
Yeah I am surprised that there is not much on the market. The Logitech T651 should have worked in theory (I found some Android users from some posts 7 years back) but perhaps it needs some drivers or extra Android programming that is beyond my knowledge. Whats interesting is that they have been discontinued with no true quality bluetooth trackpad replacement. I guess they have fallen out favor for other devices.

I then looked at a trackball for some 90's nostalgia but they were too high to fit in that top tray.

There are a number of cheaper Amazon/Ebay bluetooth and Android compatible trackpads but they are integrated with keyboards. It seems the reviews didn't praise the trackpad accuracy very high so it would defeat the purpose of easily navigating.

In the end, the ubiquitous mouse took the crown. I found a Logitech Pebble that is slim and matches the style and color of the interior. After adjusting the cursor speed, it works nicely.

Last edited by BMGS; 08-19-20 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-29-20, 08:09 AM
GS350yep
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I just got this smart mirror kit from beatsonic. Anyone who has installed it can you give some pointers on how to remove the wire harness from the push start button? It look quite easy in the demo video, but in reality I am struggling to get it out.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-20, 09:16 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by GS350yep
Hey guys I just got this smart mirror kit from beatsonic. Anyone who has installed it can you give some pointers on how to remove the wire harness from the push start button? It look quite easy in the demo video, but in reality I am struggling to get it out.
Thanks in advance.
There is a tab that you push in while pulling out the connector.
Old 08-29-20, 10:21 AM
GS350yep
Driver School Candidate

There is a tab that you push in while pulling out the connector.
I appreciate your response here are some photos what am I pushing here?

Old 08-29-20, 10:39 AM
GS350yep
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS350yep
I appreciate your response here are some photos what am I pushing here?

Finally found it hard to turn things around for better visibility.
Thanks now onto next steps.

Quick Reply: Beatsonic Smart Phone mirroring