GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Beatsonic Smart Phone mirroring

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 04:03 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Beatsonic Smart Phone mirroring

Anyone have one of these kits or have experience with them? Are there any competitors or is Beatsonic the only player in town? I found these guys ,but I'm Not sure if it will work:
https://naviks.com/i-24075419-2012-2...tegory:1137501

Just curious before I put a bunch of money into a mod; anyone have closeup pictures or video of a iPhone being displayed on the nav screen? i want to get an idea of the quality, and the YouTube videos are not nearly close enough.
Old 08-23-18, 04:09 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think beatsonic is a full screen mirror. This one only uses half. I'm thinking about it too.
Old 08-23-18, 04:24 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
Anyone have one of these kits or have experience with them? Are there any competitors or is Beatsonic the only player in town? I found these guys ,but I'm Not sure if it will work:
https://naviks.com/i-24075419-2012-2...tegory:1137501

Just curious before I put a bunch of money into a mod; anyone have closeup pictures or video of a iPhone being displayed on the nav screen? i want to get an idea of the quality, and the YouTube videos are not nearly close enough.
Originally Posted by swat1727
Correct me if I'm wrong. I think beatsonic is a full screen mirror. This one only uses half. I'm thinking about it too.
I have the Beat-Sonic mirroring device, was one of the very first things I bought for my car. Going strong and I like it. I mentioned somewhere the picture isn't crystal clear but it's good enough that you won't notice after a while. I'd say go with Beat-Sonic, their customer service is great and the product is simple plug-and-play.
Old 08-23-18, 04:52 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I have the Beat-Sonic mirroring device, was one of the very first things I bought for my car. Going strong and I like it. I mentioned somewhere the picture isn't crystal clear but it's good enough that you won't notice after a while. I'd say go with Beat-Sonic, their customer service is great and the product is simple plug-and-play.
Does it allow full screen mirror? Or only the navigation portion?
Old 08-23-18, 05:06 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by swat1727
Does it allow full screen mirror? Or only the navigation portion?
Check it out!

Old 08-23-18, 05:37 PM
anish3232
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Cheaper option... just did this on a 2015

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10173377
Old 08-03-20, 10:57 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

I went ahead and ordered this for my 2016 GS200t non-nav.

I though this was the best of the four options I had available for the below reasons:

1. Option 1- Beatsonic Android Auto/Carplay: Using my Android with a wireless connection, the screen mirroring will provide more funcitonallity by providing a wider range of apps I can use. I would rather select and navigate to what i need using my phone, which is easier than using the joystick. Installation on the carplay/AA module also requires removing the screen and glovebox, not a huge deal but the screen mirroring only requires removal of the radio.

2. Option 2- GROM VL2: After having a standalone Android-based unit on another vehicle, I decided it would be easier to keep all of the apps on one device versus having two sets of Apps, one on the phone and one on the GROM unit. Some apps, such as Torque or others that connect to an external bluetooth unit may have connectivity issues. With the app installed on the phone, I don't have to think twice about whether the app will work with the hardware. I also had security concerns since the apps were all installed and anyone who uses the car can access them. Also without touchscreen, I figured the screen mirroring would be better to be able to more quickly enter information on the phone rather than using the joystick to navigate through the Android OS. I also don't need to set a wifi hotspot to use the features.

3. Option 3 - AliExpress full screen/Android replacement. This seemed like the best option as it would replace the screen with a larger, higher resolution touchscreen, but since many vehicle controls are integrated into the oem system, I didn't want to risk any issues. I had one of these on another vehicle and while it was mostly amazing, it did freeze up once in a while but it wasn't a big deal since that vehicle was not as integrated as the GS is through the infotainment system. Also the Aliexpress units tend to want to change the units of measurement to metric. Not something I wanted to take a risk with considering the amount of integration, especially for close to $1k.

4. Option 4 - Beatsonic Screen Mirroring: This seemed like the best option since its was the cheapest, easiest to install, has a wireless connection and lets me input through the phone, which is a superior input device in my opinion.

I will provide an update once its installed. I saved about 6K going with a non-nav model so I am glad to have all of the above options which are far superior to the oem nav that I have experience with in my wife's NX.

Last edited by BMGS; 08-04-20 at 11:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (08-04-20)
Old 08-04-20, 04:47 AM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
When you're mirroring the phone and you put the car into reverse, does the backup camera still automatically come on?
Old 08-04-20, 05:41 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by Neophyte2b
When you're mirroring the phone and you put the car into reverse, does the backup camera still automatically come on?
Per BeatSonic, "This does not affect the backup camera display. Backup camera will function normally without any interference."

I'll find out for sure once I install but this setup simply uses the Aux / AV input so the OEM system will treat it as any other input and override to show the backup camera. You are still operating in the native system so there is no worry about the OEM system not being able to switch back and forth between more essential functions.

BTW I ordered yesterday afternoon and its already on its way to arrive on Thursday, good so far!

Last edited by BMGS; 08-04-20 at 05:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Neophyte2b (08-04-20)
Old 08-10-20, 08:32 AM
BMGS
Racer

I installed this over the weekend. The install was fairly easy, the more difficult part was organizing and fitting the various components behind the head unit. My Android phone easily connects wirelessly with no issues.

It works pretty well, the only slight issue is the video quality. Since it uses the factory AV input, the signal is analog. Its not bad quality but compared to digital, the analog signal has a few shortcomings. For example, BeatSonic recommend Waze over Google Maps due to the way the graphics are displayed. Both look fine (even Google in satellite view) and will provide the needed information.

For music, the one shortcoming is that the steering wheel controls cannot skip a song. Using google assistant, I can use the voice commands to do this. Another option was to use a bluetooth mouse or media controller button but the goal here was to use only factory equipment and keep the phone out of sight.

Other than the navigation and music, I definitely like being able to display any app (unlike Android Auto) and have only one set of Apps (unlike the GROM), especially the engine monitoring gauge display from the OBDII enabled JB4 tuner app (which likely would not have worked on a separate android device.)

My main goal was to add a superior navigation solution using the least invasive method and lowest cost. Assuming I have the screen sharing enabled on my phone, this setup can be accessed completely by voice. I can use the vehicle voice commands to switch to the AV input and then use the phone's voice commands to enter the navigation destination and load up music.

Last edited by BMGS; 08-10-20 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-10-20, 12:51 PM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

How much did it all cost you?
Old 08-10-20, 03:49 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BMGS
I installed this over the weekend. The install was fairly easy, the more difficult part was organizing and fitting the various components behind the head unit. My Android phone easily connects wirelessly with no issues.

It works pretty well, the only slight issue is the video quality. Since it uses the factory AV input, the signal is analog. Its not bad quality but compared to digital, the analog signal has a few shortcomings. For example, BeatSonic recommend Waze over Google Maps due to the way the graphics are displayed. Both look fine (even Google in satellite view) and will provide the needed information.

For music, the one shortcoming is that the steering wheel controls cannot skip a song. Using google assistant, I can use the voice commands to do this. Another option was to use a bluetooth mouse or media controller button but the goal here was to use only factory equipment and keep the phone out of sight.

Other than the navigation and music, I definitely like being able to display any app (unlike Android Auto) and have only one set of Apps (unlike the GROM), especially the engine monitoring gauge display from the OBDII enabled JB4 tuner app (which likely would not have worked on a separate android device.)

My main goal was to add a superior navigation solution using the least invasive method and lowest cost. Assuming I have the screen sharing enabled on my phone, this setup can be accessed completely by voice. I can use the vehicle voice commands to switch to the AV input and then use the phone's voice commands to enter the navigation destination and load up music.
This might sound like a silly question, but how do you "use the vehicle voice commands to switch to the AV input"?

Also, do you have to press anything on your phone in order to get the phone's voice commands to enter the navigation destination?

One other question, does the reverse camera automatically come on even when you are mirroring the phone?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-20, 04:23 PM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by Neophyte2b
This might sound like a silly question, but how do you "use the vehicle voice commands to switch to the AV input"?

Also, do you have to press anything on your phone in order to get the phone's voice commands to enter the navigation destination?

One other question, does the reverse camera automatically come on even when you are mirroring the phone?

Thanks!
On my 2016, for the vehicle voice command, press the voice button on the steering wheel and say "music" then "external" to switch to that input.

On my phone, I have it set to unlock when its connected to the vehicle by bluetooth so I just need to "hey Google, give me directions to Disneyworld" and it will do it without touching anything. You can then have google assistant open Spotify for music and it will play in the background.

The reverse camera works perfectly , just as if you were listening to the radio, bluetooth, satellite or any other standard input.

Last edited by BMGS; 08-10-20 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 05:23 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BMGS
On my 2016, for the vehicle voice command, press the voice button on the steering wheel and say "music" then "external" to switch to that input.

On my phone, I have it set to unlock when its connected to the vehicle by bluetooth so I just need to "hey Google, give me directions to Disneyworld" and it will do it without touching anything. You can then have google assistant open Spotify for music and it will play in the background.

The reverse camera works perfectly , just as if you were listening to the radio, bluetooth, satellite or any other standard input.
Thanks. I like your idea of doing everything with voice controls. Let me see if I can make that work.
Old 08-11-20, 06:34 AM
BMGS
Racer

I discovered something else today. If I connect a bluetooth mouse to my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S8) a standard mouse cursor appears that lets me interact with everything just like the touchscreen does. It seems odd to do that on a phone, but it gave me the idea for a bit of extra connectivity when using screen mirroring.

I ordered a bluetooth touchpad that I will place in the top tray of the center console and it can conveniently plug into the USB port or the use its internal battery. If I need to interact with the phone in a way the Google Assistant voice controls cannot, I can simply side back the center console (without flipping it open) and it will give me the perfect amount of space to use the touchpad. When not in use, its perfectly hidden and mimics an OEM look either way.

With that, I have a fully interactive Android OS on the OEM screen with OEM like controls, without the hassle of a second Android device permanently installed in the car and the stability of a Samsung android device that does not intercept anything in the native Lexus OS. I'll follow up once the touchpad is setup.

Last edited by BMGS; 08-11-20 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Beatsonic Smart Phone mirroring