GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Joe Z Axle back sound level?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 07:47 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Joe Z Axle back sound level?

Edited to add - I went Tanabe - and it’s perfect for a low-key Axleback that’s isn’t raspy and sounds like it fits the car!
Any help/opinions - thank you in advance!!
I’ve researched I think every single video on the Joe Z Exhaust - I’m specifically looking at the axle back (hoping it’s quieter than full-catback).
History:
I installed the invidia mid-pipe only on my old IS350 and I hated the sound - I was embarrassed to drive the car (had Joe Z intake tube and invidia mid pipe only). So I installed/uninstalled in about a weeks time and now have a $330.00 paperweight in my garage.
I really don't want to spend $550.00 on the Joe Z axleback and have the same thing happen with my RWD GS350. It's really hard to tell what it sounds like in all of the videos.
Is the Joe Z a very small increase in sound - and will I be able to drive the car in eco-mode very conservatively without really noticing it? Or is it always very noticeable?
I'm okay with a little noise when you get on the gas - that's what I'm looking for. But if I drive my 50-60 year old business clients around in my car I don't want it to sound like a "kids" car. I'm almost 40 years old. I’d like it to sound subtle, and classy - if that’s even possible. The C63, M3, M5 even FX35 have very nice exhaust tones I love (I understand the first 3 are different classes/engines).
Thank you for any and all your input!
Trevor

Last edited by FI4runner; 09-14-18 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-24-18, 09:51 PM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Here for responses. Have the exact same question. Want more sound but no drone/ricer exhaust.
Old 08-24-18, 10:56 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CouveGS
Here for responses. Have the exact same question. Want more sound but no drone/ricer exhaust.
Exactly - complete opposite of ricer is what I’m looking for. I know it’s possible, but I don’t know if MFG’s would sell as many systems.

O.T. - you’re not from Vancouver WA are you?
We’ve called our town “The Couve” for as long as I can remember - and I’ve never heard Vancouver BC referenced that way.

Last edited by FI4runner; 08-25-18 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-25-18, 11:28 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

The Joe z axle back isn't for you if that's what you're looking for. Try the Tanabe medallion axle back
​​
Maybe even just put the takeda intake in and see if that does it for you.
Old 08-25-18, 11:50 AM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FI4runner

Exactcly - complete opposite of ricer is what I’m looking for. I know it’s possible, but I don’t know if MFG’s would sell as many systems.

O.T. - you’re not from Vancouver WA are you?
We’ve called our town “The Couve” for as long as I can remember - and I’ve never heard Vancouver BC referenced that way.
Yep! I'm from the Couve! Vancouver, WA! Have a nebula grey F-Sport RWD.
Old 08-25-18, 11:54 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 248 Posts

I get compliments all the time, wife and I both have it in our cars. Other guys in lexus gives thumps up or roll down window to hear it better.
Hers is louder though, shes in IS350 but I have the other engine with higher mpg's and have to press on it more to notice it.
Invidia mid pipe next on the list for me.
Old 08-25-18, 11:58 AM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

How does Borla compare to Joe's?

https://youtu.be/FIf_80gTjno

Old 08-25-18, 12:07 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 248 Posts

Dudes, go to a shop and just delete 2 of the cans, the car comes with 4 before muffler.

Or just get Invidia mid pipe and keep stock axle back that's cool too.
Old 08-25-18, 02:35 PM
Chiadon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Borla exhaust and it is really good. High-quality and nice low tone with no drone. If you’re driving on the highway normal Hidden around town normal it’s not loud but if you get into it a bit then it sounds like a beast. It was a good choice compared to all the research I did on the other exhaust available for our cars
Old 08-25-18, 09:39 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Yep! I'm from the Couve! Vancouver, WA! Have a nebula grey F-Sport RWD.
No way!!! We have a rental in Salmon Creek, and just built a place up in Ridgefield on acreage :-)
I’m Couve native since 1981 ;-) (born here) LOL

I’m Nebula FSport RWD as well! I’m mostly stock besides Tanabe springs, tint, and will have 20” Vossen VSF-2’s installed next week :-)
The Tundra in the background is my DD.
If you happen to be looking for 20” Vossen VFS-2’s I *might* be able to get you the same deal locally - LOL. I was able to pick them up for $2450 our the door, mounted, balanced, black lug nuts - entire package. (20x9 front, 20x10 rear, Hankook V12’s EVO 2’s)o

Last edited by FI4runner; 08-25-18 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-25-18, 09:48 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by np20412
The Joe z axle back isn't for you if that's what you're looking for. Try the Tanabe medallion axle back
​​
Maybe even just put the takeda intake in and see if that does it for you.
LMFAO! I had no idea about Tanabe! I just googled Tanabe Medallion Axle Back GS350 and the video had 25 thumbs up and 26 thumbs down - because it sounded very close to stock. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. If it even increases DB’s by 3-6, that’s fine - I just want a smidge of difference from stock.
Thank you!!
Old 08-25-18, 09:52 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

How does Borla compare to Joe's?

https://youtu.be/FIf_80gTjno
This sounds good (on video) as well.
Decisions, decisions. :-/
Old 08-25-18, 09:56 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boomin
Dudes, go to a shop and just delete 2 of the cans, the car comes with 4 before muffler.

Or just get Invidia mid pipe and keep stock axle back that's cool too.
Respectfully, did you read my original post? I have a invidia midpipe sitting on my garage shelf because it sounded ricer. Cutting the factory mufflers out and straight piping the car, isn’t exactly classy in my opinion and I highly doubt it’s the sound I’m after. I’d rather replace the mufflers with something a little different that has just a tad more of a bassy tone without sounding like a Honda Civic. Thank you for your input! :-)

Last edited by FI4runner; 08-25-18 at 10:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Boomin (08-30-18)
Old 08-25-18, 10:01 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chiadon
I have the Borla exhaust and it is really good. High-quality and nice low tone with no drone. If you’re driving on the highway normal Hidden around town normal it’s not loud but if you get into it a bit then it sounds like a beast. It was a good choice compared to all the research I did on the other exhaust available for our cars
thank you!!! :-)
Old 08-27-18, 05:12 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree with np20412. The JoeZ Axleback might not be for you. There is a noticeable rumble even as low as 1.5-2k rpm. Cruising at a constant speed is about the only time you won't hear the exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
RNM GS3 (11-24-18)

Quick Reply: Joe Z Axle back sound level?