GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Are all 2013-2015 F Sport headlights the same?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 03:30 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Bringing this from the heap. What are adaptive headlights versus AFS headlights? I have a 2013 450h, so I want to do what Peasodos did and put the Three beam headlights in. Thanks.
Old 06-26-20, 11:17 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
Bringing this from the heap. What are adaptive headlights versus AFS headlights? I have a 2013 450h, so I want to do what Peasodos did and put the Three beam headlights in. Thanks.
AFS: Adaptive Front Lighting System.
AFS and adaptive headlights are the same thing, the headlights turn slightly with the steering wheel to improve visibility around corners.

There are the base HID headlights that are just auto leveling.
The AFS HID that are adaptive and auto leveling.
Then LED headlights that are adaptive and auto leveling.
Old 06-27-20, 04:43 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Thanks Peasodos as always. I think I am going to do an F-sport grille thing too similar to what you did before you converted to the MMC front bumper. All this will occur in the fall as it is too hot in Florida right now. Here is my first of many questions. I am acquiring the LED headlights, the new ECU, and the No AVS switch next week. Headlights are used of course so need to evaluate their condition. The no AVS switch, why do I need that? Don’t I want headlights to be AVS? My current lights on the 450h are the HID auto leveling. Any suggestions on getting the upper and lower f-sport grille. Thanks again.
Old 06-28-20, 04:33 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Ok,I broke out the owner’s manual for this No AFS switch thing. The manual shows a switch below the right side of the steering wheel. Of course there is not an open spot on the dash for this, so a little on my knees looking, and it appears this switch basically would go under the dash near the OBD port. Can someone confirm this is the case? But my question remains, why would you want to ever turn these off? And if you did, the location of the switch is so inaccessible, how could you do this while driving? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks
Old 06-28-20, 01:36 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I had the AFS on my previous 2013 lux package. Yes, the button is under the dash near OBD2 port. As to why you would want to turn them off, my guess is that is for the case of one of the lights malfunctioning. It may give an error message if one of the aiming motors breaks, or something. In that case maybe you can turn off AFS and they function like regular headlights and no error message. Just guessing.
Old 06-28-20, 04:38 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Well that makes sense then. Thanks CottageChz.
Old 06-28-20, 04:46 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Well that makes sense then. Thanks CottageChz.
@CottageChz is correct you will get an error on the dash without the switch. The system will detect a fault. The switch is the cheapest part of the mod and the plug for it is already there taped to a harness behind the blank switch.
Old 06-29-20, 05:36 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

I just hope they break in the normal position!
Old 06-29-20, 06:12 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a 2013 F-Sport (No AFS)

Ive been tossing up the idea of upgrading to the hybrid LED headlights but have not gotten a solid answer as to whats needed. Ive been searching through the various threads and it seems they are not 100% plug and play as they are in those with the Luxury package.

If I acquired the following, would this then make it plug and play without any errors?

* LED AFS computer: 89940-30270
* Switch:
84155-30020

Or would I need something else?

Thanks for the help!

~ JV
Old 06-29-20, 06:20 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
I have a 2013 F-Sport (No AFS)

Ive been tossing up the idea of upgrading to the hybrid LED headlights but have not gotten a solid answer as to whats needed. Ive been searching through the various threads and it seems they are not 100% plug and play as they are in those with the Luxury package.

If I acquired the following, would this then make it plug and play without any errors?

* LED AFS computer: 89940-30270
* Switch:
84155-30020

Or would I need something else?

Thanks for the help!

~ JV
With the F-sport you will get the AFS light on the dash, it requires some other wiring mod to fix or my suggestion to someone who asked me about this was:

Take the instrument cluster out, take it apart, put electrical tape over the AFS led from the inside, put it back together and in the car. Then the AFS light is out of sight and out of mind. I did this on my last car when I got the TPMS light and didn't care for the TPMS system.

There are a few people with f-sports that got it working, you have to search old threads. The mod is only plug and play with the non f-sport.
Old 06-30-20, 10:26 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Not to second Peasodos cause he is the master, but I saw on YouTube someone just disconnected the AFS fuse for the light. Don’t know if that would work. I think it was on an IS-F so a bit older.
Old 07-02-20, 10:01 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the info Peasodos,

I was doing alot of researching and some say the swivel will remove the AFS error. I myself have no problem removing the cluster and blocking the AFS light, I did that on my previous 09 IS350 when I upgraded to the newer style LED DRL headlights.

Now to find some affordable LED headlights >

~ JV

Old 07-03-20, 04:31 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Well I did receive my headlights, though you get what you pay for is the saying. They were cheap, but it will be a project to clean them up and fix two broken tabs. How do these things get broken tabs anyway? Aren’t there just screws holding them in place? It is like someone is ripping them out without taking out the screws. I am dubious that they will even work. Does anyone know of a way to test headlights without installing them? I mean I do not even see the LED bulbs. It doesn’t look like there is a way to replace them either. I wish I was Russian guy or Peasodos. I am under CPO warranty till next May, so I don’t want to take off bumper and install everything, plug them in, turn on the lights, and blow circuits all over the place without first trying to see if they work. One of those back burner things to do if nothing else is going on in the world. Like now😁
Old 07-03-20, 06:19 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Well I did receive my headlights, though you get what you pay for is the saying. They were cheap, but it will be a project to clean them up and fix two broken tabs. How do these things get broken tabs anyway? Aren’t there just screws holding them in place? It is like someone is ripping them out without taking out the screws. I am dubious that they will even work. Does anyone know of a way to test headlights without installing them? I mean I do not even see the LED bulbs. It doesn’t look like there is a way to replace them either. I wish I was Russian guy or Peasodos. I am under CPO warranty till next May, so I don’t want to take off bumper and install everything, plug them in, turn on the lights, and blow circuits all over the place without first trying to see if they work. One of those back burner things to do if nothing else is going on in the world. Like now😁
the tabs break off from an accident. If you have screwed on tabs that means they were replaced and broke again maybe another accident.

one of my headlights are from an accident car. I screwed in replacement tabs and fixed one broken tab. The head works perfectly fine.

there is no way of testing it really without installing and the LEDs you can’t replace. They are designed to last a very long time probably outlast the car.
Old 11-03-20, 10:06 AM
gsfwin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recently just put these headlights on a f sport with no afs. my driver side headlight is aimed correctly but passenger side is way off. i did a manual adjustment on both sides to try to even out the gap but still looks off..i adjusted the driver side all the way up and passenger side all the way down. it would not turn anymore as it has reached its limit. my question is that if i get the ecu would it readjust the aim as well? im thinking it cant readjust unless theres some other internal electronic adjuster otherwise manually it is maxed out..i feel like im blinding people in front of me as opposed to oncoming traffic since my passenger side is the one that is aimed very high

Quick Reply: Are all 2013-2015 F Sport headlights the same?