GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Moisture in Headlight, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-18, 05:37 PM
Kane007
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
You can easily repair the broken tab in less than 24 hours with just an epoxy glue. You will need to take the headlight off. Then get some sand paper and sand the area down underneath the tab.
There is 2 types of epoxies, in liquid and in putty forms. You need both, buy the J-B Weld epoxy putty stick and epoxy glue syringe at Home Depot.
Use the epoxy putty stick first to glue the tab, make sure that it's sealed properly. Then apply the liquid epoxy on top. It will be rock solid when it cures.
so I got both of the epoxys.. am I supposed to use the putty to basically cover the hole and the spot of the broken tab and then reseat the broken tab onto the putty and press into place? Then use the liquid epoxy and simply cover the top of the entire repaired area? Just making sure I understand correctly.
Old 09-12-18, 02:53 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Kane007
so I got both of the epoxys.. am I supposed to use the putty to basically cover the hole and the spot of the broken tab and then reseat the broken tab onto the putty and press into place? Then use the liquid epoxy and simply cover the top of the entire repaired area? Just making sure I understand correctly.
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, exactly. Use the putty to cover the hole and the area underneath the broken tab. Then apply the liquid expoxy around tab. Make sure its fully cured before you reinstall.
Old 11-05-18, 03:59 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kane007
so I got both of the epoxys.. am I supposed to use the putty to basically cover the hole and ...
So how did it go?

I thing I have the same problem. Had a fender bender on passenger front bumper and now getting moisture in headlight.

How did you access headlight fixture?

Also can you or or someone tell me how the bulbs are accessed? Is there a cover somewhere I can access that has a rubber gasket ? I think I’ll check that first ..
Old 11-06-18, 01:43 PM
Polo708
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to remove the front bumper to remove the headlight housing. It’s pretty simple and requires basic tools.

mine was getting moisture in it a few years back. I removed it, dried it out, used epoxy to fix the seal and now it hasn’t “leaked” for 2 years now (knock on wood)
Old 11-06-18, 03:03 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Polo708, can you refer me to any threads or guides on how to remove the bumper, top-front engine bay cover, and headlight?

I am scouring the Internet and this site right now for the information..

Thanks.

Any info would be great.

Right now, I can’t even figure out how to remove the tabs on the front-top engine bay plastic cover (over the headlight).

And even to remove the bulb - other Gen. 6 ES owners described twisting and removing a circular cap, but my headlight fixture has no such cap. Maybe because it’s an HID Xenon I don’t know..

I am going to try to attack this tomorrow.