Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
My butt don't fit.
The butt is big. Big is good.
Old 09-06-18, 04:16 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

It doesn't stand a chance against the sub-two-second Tesla Roadster 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds, 0 - 100 mph in 4.2 seconds, a quarter-mile in 8.8 seconds and 250+ mph top speed...all with a whopping 7,376 pound-feet of tire shredding torque at the wheels. And to think that today's fastest supercars can only muster less than 1,000 pound-feet of torque.

Old 09-06-18, 04:27 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
It doesn't stand a chance against the sub-two-second Tesla Roadster 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds, 0 - 100 mph in 4.2 seconds, a quarter-mile in 8.8 seconds and 250+ mph top speed...all with a whopping 7,376 pound-feet of tire shredding torque at the wheels. And to think that today's fastest supercars can only muster less than 1,000 pound-feet of torque.
Get back to me when it wins at Daytona, Indy or Monaco. No way it does 24 hours of Le Mans. Electric just isn't as good as internal combustion for convenience and rapid turn around. Charge a Tesla on a 10 minute fuel and bathroom stop on a road trip.
Old 09-06-18, 04:36 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Get back to me when it wins at Daytona, Indy or Monaco. No way it does 24 hours of Le Mans. Electric just isn't as good as internal combustion for convenience and rapid turn around. Charge a Tesla on a 10 minute fuel and bathroom stop on a road trip.
The Tesla Roadster has a 620 mile range, which is one full day of driving, so it can recharge overnight. Or, after traveling 620 miles one needs to have dinner, so it can recharge while you eat and take off again until you fall asleep at the wheel.

I look for the new Formula E (electric) race cars to eventually (and quickly) break all records set by combustion engine Formula 1 cars.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (09-10-18)
Old 09-06-18, 05:17 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I would go with the supercharger option, or just wait another year or so and buy a GS-F for about $47k. The 4GS does have a ton of potential. The problem with the GS-F’s V8 is it’s torque doesn’t really kick in to about 4K rpm and when it does kick in your only making 389lb-ft. The Supercharged V6 won’t sound as nice, but it will give you gulps of useable power and it will be available to you more often on the rev band imo.
Old 09-06-18, 06:16 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

That is true today. But tomorrow will be different.
Old 09-06-18, 08:01 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
All of you guys are absolutely right. I do want a sleeper car and to be completely frank, the modding scene for the 4GS is a complete bust. The earlier generations seemed to have such a nice modding scene but not for this car, it has so much potential. I do not care about the labor costs, I am just concerned with getting all the electrical systems working right. Simple example, the odometer. Would the GSF odometer be a plug and play item? Of course not, the mileage would be different, the tamper indicator would light up. How about the ECU for TVD mode? Or for the ECU to recognize the additional airflow going through the MAF and putting out the right amount of fuel to avoid a lean mixture? I am assuming there will be tons of error codes. It would be beast to see this work but everyone here is talking me out of it LOL

Haha, the seats are available too for $3K. Also, with the RR Racing, I believe it is around 400 but the stock GS-F is 467.

what a shame, if it were the grey seats I’d get those lol

i mean if money for labor is no issue if trade in and get the lc.... Otherwise id trade for the gsf just cause you get to enjoy it sooner and all the suspension upgrades as well. Only real loss is the gsf in America loses some lux features and has a smaller truck

Last edited by baconRx; 09-06-18 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-06-18, 08:08 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The Tesla Roadster has a 620 mile range, which is one full day of driving, so it can recharge overnight. Or, after traveling 620 miles one needs to have dinner, so it can recharge while you eat and take off again until you fall asleep at the wheel.

I look for the new Formula E (electric) race cars to eventually (and quickly) break all records set by combustion engine Formula 1 cars.
my issue is battery tech. Lithium is limited and wasteful to use in batteries. Just discharging batteries that quickly to get those performance figures eats away at them and they’re insane to replace. Electric engines are great but I won’t get one until the energy source for those engines is updated to something better and more compact.
Old 09-06-18, 08:14 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx

my issue is battery tech. Lithium is limited and wasteful to use in batteries. Just discharging batteries that quickly to get those performance figures eats away at them and they’re insane to replace. Electric engines are great but I won’t get one until the energy source for those engines is updated to something better and more compact.
Tesla Roadster is progress man, eventually more efficient battery and solar technology will catch up. It's about taking a step into the future and everything else will eventually follow.
Solid State batteries soon to come, but these technologies need more funding.

I would definitely get an all electric car in the future if it were more practical, until then I'm perfectly happy with my 450h

Last edited by peasodos; 09-06-18 at 08:18 PM.
Im2bz2p345 (09-10-18)
Old 09-07-18, 09:58 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

There's little doubt that all electric motorized vehicles will become the norm replacing the petrol piston engine. It's just a matter of time...and it has been a long time coming, but I think it's about to blast-off much like radio, television, cell phones, personal computers, etc. all took-off in its heyday.

Im2bz2p345 (09-10-18)
Old 09-07-18, 10:13 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Current battery technology sucks. I was at a electric vehicle conference this year and there was talk of using liquid coolant in the charge cables to keep things from melting while supercharging cars of the future.

Until someone strikes gold with solid state battery’s ICE cars are safe. The hybrid everything will prevail for a least 15 years until they can make battery charging times similar to filling up a typical car and driving 300-400 miles.

My only real question is with lithium being a very limited and finite natural resource where will all this lithium come from for the 100’s of millions of cars that will be produced in the near future. Not to mention the trucks, trains and ships and possibly planes. I just don’t see it being enough to go around. We will need to use something else in battery’s or hydrogen fuel cell could play a major role.
Old 09-07-18, 10:51 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6
Current battery technology sucks. I was at a electric vehicle conference this year and there was talk of using liquid coolant in the charge cables to keep things from melting while supercharging cars of the future.

Until someone strikes gold with solid state battery’s ICE cars are safe. The hybrid everything will prevail for a least 15 years until they can make battery charging times similar to filling up a typical car and driving 300-400 miles.

My only real question is with lithium being a very limited and finite natural resource where will all this lithium come from for the 100’s of millions of cars that will be produced in the near future. Not to mention the trucks, trains and ships and possibly planes. I just don’t see it being enough to go around. We will need to use something else in battery’s or hydrogen fuel cell could play a major role.
While I won't dispute electric being an awesome technology, the method of storing potential is the weak point. Batteries in general aren't the future. Mr Fusion (or some new technology) is going to make it all worthwhile by providing a large store of energy much like the way a golf ball sized chunk or uranium can power a sub for years. I may not live to see it but something more compact and higher power density will have to be created to make electric cars viable.

When the military fields an electric tank, I'll believe it is rugged enough and provides enough power to really be 100%.
Old 09-07-18, 11:14 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

While I won't dispute electric being an awesome technology, the method of storing potential is the weak point. Batteries in general aren't the future. Mr Fusion (or some new technology) is going to make it all worthwhile by providing a large store of energy much like the way a golf ball sized chunk or uranium can power a sub for years. I may not live to see it but something more compact and higher power density will have to be created to make electric cars viable.

When the military fields an electric tank, I'll believe it is rugged enough and provides enough power to really be 100%.
The US army has its sights set on all-electric tanks

Quick Reply: V6 to V8 Conversion