GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

V6 to V8 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-18, 10:09 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
There's little doubt that all electric motorized vehicles will become the norm replacing the petrol piston engine. It's just a matter of time...and it has been a long time coming, but I think it's about to blast-off much like radio, television, cell phones, personal computers, etc. all took-off in its heyday.
Originally Posted by UDel
Not going to happen with current battery technology or charging infrastructure. Electrics offer very little advantages over a IC car aside from the social image and so many compromises.
Did I say it would happen with current battery technology or charging infrastructure? No, I did not! You may be right, but as I said; there's little doubt it WILL happen that all electric motorized vehicles will become the norm...

Last edited by bclexus; 09-10-18 at 01:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (09-10-18)
Old 09-10-18, 11:51 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Again, to my point, Tesla didn't start with an entry level market car and has used the government to prop up their bloated model. Lexus, et al, used the econoboxes to generate the capital to introduce the luxury brands with great success. Without the government subsidies, Tesla is dead, like the Tucker, Hudson, Edsel, Oldsmobile and Pontiac. Being a great car isn't enough to survive, which I'm not convinced it is.
Personally I agree with the Tesla model. You get rich people to pay for your R&D and so they can be the first to get it. Then it goes to the masses. Now Tesla isn't the only electric game in town. How is the Leaf and Volt doing?
Old 09-10-18, 11:59 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

The Volt is doing pretty good and you see Leafs everywhere.

Interestingly enough, despite Tesla's factory problems, they actually outproduce all EV's that are headed to North American (China has a lot non-Tesla EVs). Despite the Leaf being around for so long and the Bolt being available before the Model 3 at the expected price.
Old 09-10-18, 02:20 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Personally I agree with the Tesla model. You get rich people to pay for your R&D and so they can be the first to get it. Then it goes to the masses. Now Tesla isn't the only electric game in town. How is the Leaf and Volt doing?
Agreeing with it doesn't make it the best choice. I'd think that if you remove the government subsidies, all EVs take a nose dive in sales. Tesla, having nothing non-EV to fall back on, is in dire straights. I think Musk said as much but then again maybe he had just taken a big drag off a blunt.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...531-story.html
Old 09-10-18, 04:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by praetor
Agreeing with it doesn't make it the best choice. I'd think that if you remove the government subsidies, all EVs take a nose dive in sales. Tesla, having nothing non-EV to fall back on, is in dire straights. I think Musk said as much but then again maybe he had just taken a big drag off a blunt.

Tesla has an estimated $4.9 billion in government support and a $10 billion personal stake from Elon Musk, but the market cap is around $50 billion, which happens to be the same market cap as General Motors and $12 billion more than Ford. The government can pull the $4.9 billion of support (representing only 10% of the company's value) now that Tesla has found their footing and you still have a major car maker, though highly leveraged with bonds, that the other car makers are trying to catch or surpass in terms of all electric vehicles. I say 'Good job Tesla', because what Tesla has done will only make the other car makers work harder and make better vehicles. Tesla championed the high profile and serious start in bringing all electric vehicles to a level of excitement for many people and followed by all.

Last edited by bclexus; 09-10-18 at 06:28 PM.
Im2bz2p345 (09-11-18)
Old 09-11-18, 06:50 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

I agree with it because it's the best model. LOL
Old 09-11-18, 10:12 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2018/09...mw-car-lineup/

Tesla seems to be doing just fine.
Old 09-11-18, 10:43 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by ChronoR
Sales revenue is just one factor...but imagine if they sell all these cars but still don't have a profit because of their high costs/expenditures/debt! Tesla isn't a company based on strong financials...its a company that appeals to the senses at a very high cost.

Imagine the news if Lexus sold thousands of ES sedans this month but didn't make a profit---just where would folks think they were getting the money to fund continuous operation and production of the ES? Lexus killed off the HS and the CT sedans here in the US most likely b/c it cost more to build/produce those cars than the revenue that came in from them...then, they instead focused on areas of the market that would turn a profit at a price point that would sell (with the development of SUVs like the NX and UX).

Old 09-11-18, 11:14 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Sales revenue is just one factor...but imagine if they sell all these cars but still don't have a profit because of their high costs/expenditures/debt! Tesla isn't a company based on strong financials...its a company that appeals to the senses at a very high cost.

Imagine the news if Lexus sold thousands of ES sedans this month but didn't make a profit---just where would folks think they were getting the money to fund continuous operation and production of the ES? Lexus killed off the HS and the CT sedans here in the US most likely b/c it cost more to build/produce those cars than the revenue that came in from them...then, they instead focused on areas of the market that would turn a profit at a price point that would sell (with the development of SUVs like the NX and UX).
Tesla will stay around as long as investors are willing to set cash on fire. [rofl]

-Mike
Old 09-11-18, 11:20 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I came in here for the V8 swap and you guys are still talking about saving gas. I'll show my way out

Name:  zGHQb4O.gif
Views: 91
Size:  474.5 KB
lexus4jess (01-31-22)
Old 09-11-18, 11:34 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
Tesla will stay around as long as investors are willing to set cash on fire. [rofl]

-Mike
Absolutely! lol
Old 09-11-18, 12:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I came in here for the V8 swap and you guys are still talking about saving gas. I'll show my way out

We skip around back-n-forth aimlessly here.
Old 09-11-18, 12:54 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJLex19

You do realize Tesla does make profit on every M3 sold right? That's why the $35000 M3 doesn't exist, because it would lose money at that price point.
https://jalopnik.com/engineering-fir...-li-1827632866

The company as a whole doesn't make money because they're putting money into developing new things and building factories. But each unit sold does represent money made.
Old 09-11-18, 01:24 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I'm waiting for the train to get back on the rails. Letting all the Tesla hate come out first.
Old 09-11-18, 01:57 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by ChronoR
They have yet to turn a profit though. That cannot continue indefinitely no matter how much money you have. I prefer my autos to be made by people that are in it for a profit and therefore have to be confident they will have repeat business.

Quick Reply: V6 to V8 Conversion