GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Magnaflow vs Tanabe

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 05:52 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Magnaflow vs Tanabe

I have been on the fence about ordering the Tanabe medallion exhaust for my '15 fsport and I stopped by a local exhaust shop today who quoted me just about half the price ($300 installed) to do an axle back with the Magnaflow mufflers. Not looking for any crazy sound, just something more noticeable and satisfying when giving it the juice. A lot of people have done the Tanabe but does anyone have a Magnaflow set up? Booked an appointment to do the Magnaflow on Friday so any input/advice is appreciated.
Old 09-11-18, 08:02 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

It depends on the size of the mufflers. I’ve always done Magnaflow on my V6 Toyota trucks - and called the shop in my 5.7 V8 Tundra. Shop said it’s pretty significant.

I would guess Magnaflow is louder than Tanabe. I have Tanabe sitting in my garage awaiting install.
I’d be curious on Magnaflow though so hopefully someone chimes in.
Old 09-11-18, 08:12 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Maybe you've already seen them, but here's a few vids on an IS350 that might help...I don't know if videos can help you really hear exhaust note differences but it sounds similar to tanabe maybe a slightly deeper tone...

Old 09-11-18, 08:28 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

I haven’t seen those - that’s quieter than I would have figured.
Old 09-12-18, 10:22 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

I'll always buy a name brand axle back over custom. Most exhaust shops will cut up your stock exhaust which doesn't allow you to go back to stock.

Also you can always sell the brand name axle back later.

So lets do the Tanabe

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-14-18, 12:38 AM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Tanabe is awesome!!!! 31 minute install. If you like low-key. Zero rasp, doesn’t sound like a rice burner - and fits the GS style perfectly.
I can’t believe how well of a match the Tanabe axle back is for the GS350. The FSports should come stock with Tanabe!
I’ll post vids once YouTube lets me upload them.
I’d describe it as close to stock, but a tad bit of bass. It’s noticeable for an enthusiast, but I think if I baby the gas pedal for 5-6 trips with the wife I can slowly introduce her to the “new” sound without her noticing.

The following users liked this post:
PilotX (09-14-18)
Old 09-14-18, 11:59 AM
PilotX
Driver

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FI4runner
Tanabe is awesome!!!! 31 minute install. If you like low-key. Zero rasp, doesn’t sound like a rice burner - and fits the GS style perfectly.
I can’t believe how well of a match the Tanabe axle back is for the GS350. The FSports should come stock with Tanabe!
I’ll post vids once YouTube lets me upload them.
I’d describe it as close to stock, but a tad bit of bass. It’s noticeable for an enthusiast, but I think if I baby the gas pedal for 5-6 trips with the wife I can slowly introduce her to the “new” sound without her noticing.

Tanabe on the way with an Invidia mid. Headers and supercharger shouldn't be too far behind. Tempted to change the exhaust ahead of time.
Old 09-14-18, 11:38 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Just had my magnaflow put on today and I gotta say I am more than impressed. Just watched all of FI4runner's videos of the Tanabe and although its impossible to tell by video, I'm fairly certain they are pretty dang close. I will try and get some videos of it and post for comparison. For $300 bucks out the door I am definitely happy with the results. Found a great local shop who is very well known and easy to work with. Not a true axle back as they simply cut the stock mufflers out and replaced with the magnaflow but it sounds really really good.
Old 09-15-18, 12:11 AM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CaptRog21
Just had my magnaflow put on today and I gotta say I am more than impressed. Just watched all of FI4runner's videos of the Tanabe and although its impossible to tell by video, I'm fairly certain they are pretty dang close. I will try and get some videos of it and post for comparison. For $300 bucks out the door I am definitely happy with the results. Found a great local shop who is very well known and easy to work with. Not a true axle back as they simply cut the stock mufflers out and replaced with the magnaflow but it sounds really really good.
That’s what I’ve always done - and prefer (just can’t return to stock).
Although I don’t have any air leaks with Tanabe - it wasn’t confirmed, but I swear my Invidia mid-pipe didn’t match up well at the flanges and leaked on my old IS. Cutting stock mufflers out and replacing eliminates this possibility.
Good to hear it worked out for ya! Yea, videos are hard to tell! I’d be really interested in Magnaflow sound.
Do you have any muffler comparison pics? Are they about the same size as Tanabe? (I have pics vs stock in Joe-Z thread)
I put as many miles on my Tanabe as I could today, and enjoyed every second of the drive.
Old 09-15-18, 04:13 AM
JaxNole
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptRog21
Can you share which Magnaflow mufflers you had installed? Looking forward to the vids.
Old 09-16-18, 11:42 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Few pics from underneath and a link to a short clip showing a cold start. I will get some footage of me actually driving around tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
Magnaflow (10-11-18)
Old 09-16-18, 11:44 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JaxNole
Can you share which Magnaflow mufflers you had installed? Looking forward to the vids.
Not sure which magnaflows where installed to be honest. Just told the guy I wanted something as close to the Tanabe as possible which I feel like he nailed.
Old 09-16-18, 11:54 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Interesting - they look fairly large. And did they paint the ends because they welded the rod-hangers on?
I don’t recall my Magnaflows painted like that in the past. They must not have used stainless rod.
Interested in your vids tomorrow :-)
My Tanabe seems to have gotten louder after a few hundred miles. I hope it doesn’t continue to get louder. :-/
Old 09-16-18, 11:59 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Funny you ask, that was the first thing my brother asked when he saw it. Wasn't told that it was going to be painted but like you said, they must not of used stainless rod so they went with some paint. Mildly annoying but not too worried about it seeing as how its not noticeable, obviously. Interesting to hear your Tanabe set up seems to have increased in volume. I am super curious to see how these change over this coming week, if at all.
Old 09-17-18, 12:30 AM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Yea, nobody will ever seem them. If it was a lifted truck I might be annoyed.

Yea, once the Tanabe quit smoking/smelling - maybe more like 200+ miles I guess since I went through a tank of fuel already. I’ve been driving it ever chance I get LOL.
It went from me thinking my wife wouldn’t notice, to - damnit - she’s going to notice. lol

Quick Reply: Magnaflow vs Tanabe