GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Trunk will not open

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 12:44 PM
Schimmy
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trunk will not open

My trunk all of a sudden will not open. The key fob will not work, the trunk button inside the cabin will not work, and the outside button will not work. I hear the electronics working with the clicking sound, but the trunk will still not open.
I already checked the valet button inside the glove box, and it won't work. I also tried using the manual key slot outside the trunk, and disconnecting the car battery for about 15 minutes. Nothing will open the trunk.
Anyone have any idea how to fix it? My car is out of warranty and I don't want to bring it into a Lexus dealer to be charged an arm and a leg to have it diagnosed.
Old 09-16-18, 01:00 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Can you lift it manually? Chances are it is the rubber weather striping sticking, my RCF had this problem when it was very hot outside, my New Genesis G80 has the problem as well, 90 degree temps and the rubber gets soft and sticky and the trunk won’t open without help.

Get some weather stripping grease/lube and coat the rubber, it stops the sticking.
Old 09-16-18, 01:16 PM
Schimmy
Driver School Candidate

I have tried the manual key with it turnt and forcefully lifting the trunk up, it still will not open.
Old 09-16-18, 06:14 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

It sounds like the electrically operated solenoid plunger is not operating (moving) correctly to open the trunk. You may try pushing down hard on the trunk lid as someone tries the dash button in hopes the plunger is misaligned or in a stuck condition. You can also try opening the rear seat pass-through opening to the trunk and then using a light to find the yellow reflective emergency trunk release handle to manually open the trunk with a coat hanger or some kind of hooked stick.

I'm guessing something has either misaligned the electrically operated trunk opener mechanism, or something in your trunk has snagged part of the mechanism and is keeping it from working properly. Please let us know what you find is the cause...

Old 09-16-18, 06:25 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Check out this thread

Hope this help

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-present/866010-trunk-won-t-open-2.html
Old 09-16-18, 06:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I can't wait to unravel this mystery of why the trunk won't open... This is so incredibly exciting - I think I'm going to pee...

Old 09-16-18, 06:57 PM
Schimmy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
It sounds like the electrically operated solenoid plunger is not operating (moving) correctly to open the trunk. You may try pushing down hard on the trunk lid as someone tries the dash button in hopes the plunger is misaligned or in a stuck condition. You can also try opening the rear seat pass-through opening to the trunk and then using a light to find the yellow reflective emergency trunk release handle to manually open the trunk with a coat hanger or some kind of hooked stick.

I'm guessing something has either misaligned the electrically operated trunk opener mechanism, or something in your trunk has snagged part of the mechanism and is keeping it from working properly. Please let us know what you find is the cause...

About the yellow reflective emergency trunk release handle... I tried to grab it with a stick from the pass through and the damn handle fell off. Now I only see the cable... I tried using a pair of pliers and grabbing the cable but its not working. I'm scared of cutting the cables with the pliers with the amount of force Im trying to pull on the cable...

The trunk was working fine the same night it happened, I opened the trunk a couple times last night and then it just did not work anymore...
Old 09-16-18, 07:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

You probably broke the plastic pull handle, but I doubt the cable will break even putting a lot of pulling force on it from the angled distance of the pass-through opening. Your only other choice is to remove the rear seat, which you don't want to do if at all possible.
Old 09-16-18, 07:27 PM
Schimmy
Driver School Candidate

You probably broke the plastic pull handle, but I doubt the cable will break even putting a lot of pulling force on it from the angled distance of the pass-through opening. Your only other choice is to remove the rear seat, which you don't want to do if at all possible.
I don't think the pull handle is broken, it just fell off of the cable due to a bad design. I don't know what I should do. Using the buttons I hear the clicking noises but the trunk just won't open. I used the manual key and hear the mechanism but it just won't open. You don't have to turn the key much in order for the trunk to open correct? I twisted it maybe 35 degrees until it won't turn anymore. I don't want to keep forcing and causing the key to also break. Maybe I'll try the pliers again, but its very frustrating trying to grab the thin cable with some extended frankenstein plier creation while not trying to break the cable too.
Old 09-17-18, 05:12 AM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Schimmy
I don't think the pull handle is broken, it just fell off of the cable due to a bad design. I don't know what I should do. Using the buttons I hear the clicking noises but the trunk just won't open. I used the manual key and hear the mechanism but it just won't open. You don't have to turn the key much in order for the trunk to open correct? I twisted it maybe 35 degrees until it won't turn anymore. I don't want to keep forcing and causing the key to also break. Maybe I'll try the pliers again, but its very frustrating trying to grab the thin cable with some extended frankenstein plier creation while not trying to break the cable too.
Go to the dealership and ask them to help you. They won't say no...
Old 09-17-18, 09:22 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eddie420
Go to the dealership and ask them to help you. They won't say no...
The dealership will charge him, which is what he is trying to avoid.
Old 09-17-18, 09:34 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I am sure the dealership will "help" him for a $1000+ dollars.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (09-17-18)
Old 09-17-18, 10:27 AM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

You're right, they'll charge him. But I guess I have a good rapport with the dealership I use now. They always go the extra mile to make the trip great and minor nuisances they write-off and don't charge for. I'm sure if the lock actuator assembly is screwed, they will charge him. But if he just wants to get the trunk open once to get items out, I don't think they'll charge him... maybe they will... he won't know until he goes.
Old 09-17-18, 02:46 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
You're right, they'll charge him. But I guess I have a good rapport with the dealership I use now. They always go the extra mile to make the trip great and minor nuisances they write-off and don't charge for. I'm sure if the lock actuator assembly is screwed, they will charge him. But if he just wants to get the trunk open once to get items out, I don't think they'll charge him... maybe they will... he won't know until he goes.
My SA helps me out all the time with little stuff other dealers might charge for....it all depends on your dealership and your relationship with the SA team.
Old 09-17-18, 03:33 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

A Camaro came into the Chevrolet store I used to work at and the hatch would
not open by any regular means, key, button or remote. Turns out the aftermarket
deep tint glass shop left a rubber squeegee on the sill and when the hatch closed
on it the lock would not release. Took four of us to press down on the hatch to free
the latch. Since the OP is hearing a mechanical noise perhaps it just needs a little
persuasion to release the lid.

Quick Reply: Trunk will not open