GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2015 gs350 f sport tire choice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 06:32 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by SoledOut

The tire warranty protects against premature tire wear or manufacturing defects. Not based on wear and tear normal driving.
Not rotating the tires contributes to premature tire wear and is written into literally every tire warranty. If you don't rotate tires, the warranty is void.
Old 09-19-18, 07:06 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the OEM Bridgestone Potenza with at least 6/9 thread left on the tires and got rid of them because I didnt like how hard they ride.

I ended up getting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ All Season (245/40/19 and 275/35/19) and its a completely different car now. It rides much smoother and quieter than the Bridgestones.

I got them at costco for around 950 installed. They are running an instant 70 dollar rebate on 4 Michelin and 1 penny install per tire.

Last edited by pqn628; 09-19-18 at 08:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bob256k (09-19-18)
Old 09-19-18, 07:34 AM
SoledOut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Not rotating the tires contributes to premature tire wear and is written into literally every tire warranty. If you don't rotate tires, the warranty is void.
GS350 wheels are not rotatable. The wheels are staggered meaning the rears are wider.
Old 09-19-18, 07:37 AM
SoledOut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
What? Premature tire wear from normal driving is abnormal or early tire wear and is covered by the mileage warranty...
I’m a service advisor at a Toyota dealership, that mileage warranty is more for defects (bubble on the sidewall for example). Simply call the manufacture like Michelin and tell them your tires are 3/32” after 5000 miles, and they won’t do anything. This is because every driver is different, some drive crazy, some don’t even do their wheel alignment. I used to be a mechanic for Mercedes and Infiniti as well.
Old 09-19-18, 07:39 AM
SoledOut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pqn628
I had the OEM Bridgestone Potenza with at least 6/9 thread left on the tires and got rid of them because I didnt like how hard they ride.

I ended up getting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ All Season (245/35/19 and 275/35/19) and its a completely different car now. It rides much smoother and quieter than the Bridgestones.

I got them at costco for around 950 installed. They are running an instant 70 dollar rebate on 4 Michelin and 1 penny install per tire.
Make sure you do a wheel alignment, Costco nationwide does not do alignments for some dumb reason.
Old 09-19-18, 08:36 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Make sure you do a wheel alignment, Costco nationwide does not do alignments for some dumb reason.
I get my alignment done every 6 months or whenever I swap out my wheels/tires.
Old 09-19-18, 05:00 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

GS350 wheels are not rotatable. The wheels are staggered meaning the rears are wider.
That's exactly why the warranty is half what it normally is if you have rears that are a different size.. . I'm not sure what we are even arguing about anymore.
Old 09-19-18, 05:04 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Guys... I hate to point fingers, but your statements are not entirely true.

The tire warranty protects against premature tire wear or manufacturing defects. Not based on wear and tear normal driving.
Not true, most tire warranties provide for prorated replacement in the event of premature wear.

I've seen many manufacturers, Goodyear, Pirelli, Michelin, to name a few, that do adjust the tread wear warranty for staggered tires, they don't void the warranties based solely on non-rotation.

Only the F Sport RWD are staggered and therefore non-rotatable. (IIRC)

I’m a service advisor at a Toyota dealership, that mileage warranty is more for defects (bubble on the sidewall for example). Simply call the manufacture like Michelin and tell them your tires are 3/32” after 5000 miles, and they won’t do anything. This is because every driver is different, some drive crazy, some don’t even do their wheel alignment. I used to be a mechanic for Mercedes and Infiniti as well.
If your dealership does not honor treadwear warranties and only apply the warranty for defects, I will run, run, run away from that dealer. That crazy driver statement, although sometimes true, is a cop-out reason for the dealership not to honor the warranty. If any service advisor used that line on me, I'd be pissed and would IMMEDIATELY start a big ruckus in the middle of service area. It's not a dealer warranty... it's a manufacturer warranty for heaven's sake.

In Florida, tires do not last long, in fact the folks at the tire stores and at the dealerships enjoy sharing that fact with all customers, enticing them to purchase add-on packages and the like. And I cannot remember the last time I purchased tires at full price, without an adjustment for premature wear. I've been using Goodyear for the past 15yrs or so, and I will not consider tires that do not have a treadwear warranty( typically high performance tires). Wait... the last time I had to pay full price was when my alignment went out and I was too busy to go in... those wore unevenly and were not covered by the treadwear warranty.

It must be a full moon tonight... I normally don't jump up on my soapbox too often... hope I didn't offend anyone.. Cheers!
Old 09-19-18, 06:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,500 Posts

Only on the GS 350 F-Sport model are the wheels/tires staggered.
Old 09-19-18, 06:23 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,500 Posts

That's bull! You lack knowledge about which you speak. In other words - you don't know what you're talking about. That kind of an answer (they won't do anything) would be given to someone that obviously enjoys spinning his tires all the time.

You may want to talk with Discount Tire or Tire Rack and have them explain to you the warranty on tires that prematurely wear out before the tire manufacturer's mileage warranty. I personally have had many Michelin tires replaced and received the price difference for the mileage that I failed to get based on the tire's mileage warranty. There has never been any question whatsoever about receiving an allowance for the mileage I failed to get.

Last edited by bclexus; 09-19-18 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-20-18, 06:12 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chinee
Guys... I hate to point fingers, but your statements are not entirely true.

I've seen many manufacturers, Goodyear, Pirelli, Michelin, to name a few, that do adjust the tread wear warranty for staggered tires, they don't void the warranties based solely on non-rotation.
In the context of this entire thread, that is what I was trying to say. For cars with staggered tires, the warranty is adjusted DOWN directly due to the fact that the tires cannot be rotated.

For cars with square set up, lots of warranties are completely void if evidence is discovered that the tires were not rotated.
Old 09-20-18, 12:00 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

For cars with square set up, lots of warranties are completely void if evidence is discovered that the tires were not rotated.
Yep, I can definitely get behind that statement. When I was a young gun, BJ's Wholesale denied me warranty due to too-few rotations... that never happened again.

Originally Posted by pqn628
Hmmm... One of the first things I noticed with my F Sport was the firmer/harsher ride when compared to my previous non-F Sport. And I have the Potenzas, maybe that's the main reason for the stiffness rather than the suspension... hmmm...
Old 09-20-18, 12:18 PM
DanoATX
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if this will help, but when I needed tires on my GS200T F-Sport I chose sizes 10mm bigger than stock. For example the front tires on my GS were 235/40-19. By stepping up to a 245/40-19 the selection of tires increased, and prices decreased. It was easier to accept a limited warranty because of staggering when the tires are cheaper.

Of course I never went to the dealer for tires, their prices were ridiculous. The dealer quoted me around $2000 for a replacement set of tires. I was able to get a set at Discount Tire for under $1000.
Old 09-20-18, 12:39 PM
mylehigh1
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I test drove a non-F Sport GS 350 first, same year and mileage as the F Sport I purchased. I rejected the non-F-sport because the ride was as mushy as my father's Oldsmobile. So the F-Sport has a firmer ride all by itself, regardless of the rubber.
Old 09-20-18, 12:41 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, kudos to Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus! Best tires I have ever had. Michelin, Dunlap & Continental are expensive and wear too quickly.

Quick Reply: 2015 gs350 f sport tire choice?