GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anyone with regrets over getting an FSport?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 10:13 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Now that you mention it... that is a lot of wheel gap.

I suppose its understandable given that it is AWD. Funny, not something I would notice unless it was pointed out to me. AWD is really a must for me here in NYC. Been ages since I owned a RWD car and oh boy... it was not pretty during winter or any serious bad weather.
Old 09-19-18, 10:27 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I didn't go with the F-Sport here in NYC because of the initial cost difference. An AWD F-Sport and AWD non F-sport are essentially the same car except with the main differences being 19" wheel size, front bumper styling, F-Sport badges throughout the car and the Sport+ mode. With the coin I saved, I customized the the car to my liking (tires, new rotors, aftermarket goodies).

Since I've owned the car, I've kept track of all my expenditures from "fun stuff" to maintenance/wear and tear and have spent roughly $3000. Biggest maintenance costs were tires/rotors/wheel straightening costing me a little over $1500 and then fun stuff like spoiler/grille/painted calipers costing around $700. I also considered converting to get the F-sport look with the wheels/grill/bumper but decided to go a different route.

The only things I currently have issue with is the seats in the non F-sport and non-Lux aren't as comfy and the MPG with AWD in the city isn't the best. Otherwise, I really enjoy my non F-Sport GS and don't regret the purchase at all !
Great points!

It so happens that I've done quite a bit of after-market customization in the past to the tune of about 12-15k, and it was great fun driving a plain looking German hatchback sleeper with no external mods and stock 17" rims making over 300hp.

This car though, I have decided to keep bone stock for a number of reasons. Otherwise, I would likely go with something other than Lexus. That being the case, perhaps thats another reason to go with FSport.
Old 09-19-18, 10:47 AM
eddie420

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlue99

I suppose its understandable given that it is AWD. Funny, not something I would notice unless it was pointed out to me. AWD is really a must for me here in NYC. Been ages since I owned a RWD car and oh boy... it was not pretty during winter or any serious bad weather.
I'm in NJ and AWD is a must. I am fine with the wheel gap, especially with the crap roads we have, the gap is a life saver.
Old 09-19-18, 10:57 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlue99

Wheel gap is pronounced due to the wheel arches, the car itself doesn't actually sit that high. I can just barely fit my low-profile floor jack on the front jack point without having to drive on a block of wood to give it extra clearance.

The AWD stock ride height is perfect for the snow belt states(I'm from Canada). Sure, it looks better lowered, but I would be quite concerned about driving on unplowed roads in winter and going over bumps/potholes especially if you are carrying passengers. The AWD system is too good/fun to put this car away for winter.
The following users liked this post:
DeepBlue99 (09-20-18)
Old 09-19-18, 10:58 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

Not an FSport owner, but I did a ton of homework before deciding what to buy, and then I scoured the US to find exactly what I wanted, ended up buying a car from Minnesota...which made lowering it a special fun project, respect for service folks up there.

The feature list for awd Luxury edition is impressive, truly a super assortment of options:
S+ suspension mode
More functional seats for driver and passenger
Rear seat climate zone and radio controls
No challenges w front brakes
18" wheels in the earlier years make for a smoother ride
Rear door sunshades
Turning headlights (these are so amazing I can't say enough good things about them)
Nicer leather
Potential downside: the wood steering wheel is not for everyone

Edit: post 1000. woo!

Last edited by jonathancl; 09-19-18 at 11:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonathancl:
DeepBlue99 (09-20-18), signdetres (09-19-18)
Old 09-19-18, 11:01 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by er34
Wheel gap is pronounced due to the wheel arches, the car itself doesn't actually sit that high. I can just barely fit my low-profile floor jack on the front jack point without having to drive on a block of wood to give it extra clearance.

The AWD stock ride height is perfect for the snow belt states(I'm from Canada). Sure, it looks better lowered, but I would be quite concerned about driving on unplowed roads in winter and going over bumps/potholes especially if you are carrying passengers. The AWD system is too good/fun to put this car away for winter.
oh yea.. i agree with this. Car height on the AWD is fine/perfect for me.. but the wheel gap/arches is where the issue is..
With bigger/wider wheels, this gap is more pronounce. That's why people don't just put on 22" on car and not lower them.. (unless they are going for the ghetto look).

I do prefer the 18" tires.. even at this size, the ride on the boston roads are pretty rough.. can't imagine how much worse the 19" are...
Old 09-19-18, 11:13 AM
kyuGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Not an FSport owner, but I did a ton of homework before deciding what to buy, and then I scoured the US to find exactly what I wanted, ended up buying a car from Minnesota...which made lowering it a special fun project, respect for service folks up there.

The feature list for awd Luxury edition is impressive, truly a super assortment of options:
More functional seats for driver and passenger
Rear seat climate zone and radio controls
No challenges w front brakes
18" wheels in the earlier years make for a smoother ride
Rear door sunshades
Turning headlights (these are so amazing I can't say enough good things about them)
Nicer leather
Potential downside: the wood steering wheel is not for everyone

Edit: post 1000. woo!
from time to time I wish the f-sport came with some of these features so at least my passengers would feel more comfortable. but I don't get passengers in my car often so that's fine too.
depending on the f-sport trim, some don't come with Mark Levinson (like mine) and that's one thing I wish I had...
I still don't regret buying the FSport tho!
Old 09-19-18, 11:30 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

I couldn't imagine having the rear seat climate and ratio controls, while having a toddler sitting in the back stress testing every button reachable during a car ride.

Also having Sport+ is awesome. With the wife sitting in the front, she knows what's up when I switch to Sport+ and the gauge cluster turns red.

Last edited by er34; 09-19-18 at 11:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kyuGS (09-19-18)
Old 09-19-18, 11:50 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

I couldn't imagine having the rear seat climate and ratio controls, while having a toddler sitting in the back stress testing every button reachable during a car ride.
Upside: I have rear seat audio and climate controls.

Downside: I have small children with preferences.

You can lock/unlock the controls by holding the PWR button. My kids figured that out almost immediately. They're so fiendishly clever.

Last edited by jonathancl; 09-19-18 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 12:04 PM
kyuGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Also having Sport+ is awesome. With the wife sitting in the front, she knows what's up when I switch to Sport+ and the gauge cluster turns red.

I don't have kids yet, but with that answer you've given me every reason to not regret buying the Fsport. I humbly thank you!
*continues to shudder thinking about it*
Old 09-19-18, 01:26 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
LOL...I often refer to my AWD GS as a "Lexubaru". Not sure why the extra wheel gap here when they managed to avoid it on the AWD IS. But I still think it looks good, and not at all "like a corolla with aftermarket 18" rims when not lowered".

The AWD extra height is the main thing I dislike about my GS350(aside from losing my V8), really wish I could have gotten a RWD but I could not pass up the deal/car on the AWD. I still don't understand why the AWD rides slightly higher, not enough to make any difference in snow but high enough to hurt the stance/look.
Old 09-19-18, 01:35 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Upside: I have rear seat audio and climate controls.

Downside: I have small children with preferences.

You can lock/unlock the controls by holding the PWR button. My kids figured that out almost immediately. They're so fiendishly clever.
LOL, if my parents had a car with those rear seat climate/radio controls when I was a child/young teen I would have thought it was the coolest thing and been blown away, I used to fantasize when I was younger about having more features in the rear, tv's, etc. I would have played with them every time I rode in the car, I loved pressing buttons, still do. I would have quickly figured out the PWR thing too. Have to admit those rear seat controls were a pretty big reason I wanted the Luxury just for the cool factor even though I am kind of puzzled why they have them when there is not much leg room in the rear seat, it can be really cramped if you move the front seats far back like I do.

Old 09-19-18, 01:35 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The AWD extra height is the main thing I dislike about my GS350(aside from losing my V8), really wish I could have gotten a RWD but I could not pass up the deal/car on the AWD. I still don't understand why the AWD rides slightly higher, not enough to make any difference in snow but high enough to hurt the stance/look.
Yeah, I can't disagree. I believe the AWD front is 0.6" higher. I've never been able to find a reason for this.
Old 09-19-18, 01:50 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yeah, I can't disagree. I believe the AWD front is 0.6" higher. I've never been able to find a reason for this.
Worse thing is if you want to lower it even just to RWD height you have to get shocks that are compatible with the variable shocks for F Sport and Luxury so it will cost more, I am going to try to live with it, hopefully a front lower bumper spoiler and maybe mudflaps might improve the look or take the focus from the ride height.
Old 09-19-18, 04:27 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

Back on topic...

I too preferred a non-F Sport, and just like you, concerned about the extra expense associated with the performance parts. In South Florida, tires don't last very long, and I HATE brake dust. However, it's got the premium pkg "toys" I like, and a few more. And it's looks... I can't pull my eyes away, And it's hard finding an ML equipped premium in my area. And I wanted a trunk-lid spoiler.

So now I own an F Sport and I couldn't be happier...just got to put on my big-boy pants when it's tires and brakes time!

The ride is firmer than the non-F Sport, and truth be told, I do prefer the softer ride. But everything else makes me smile!

Quick Reply: Anyone with regrets over getting an FSport?