GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anyone with regrets over getting an FSport?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 05:03 PM
psaav
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

No contest here. I loved the firm feel and solid ride of the F-sport, but I got the best of both worlds with a non-F Luxury. Handling, power and responsiveness of a true sport-sedan with the added perks of a luxury vehicle. Hard to go wrong with this one.
Old 09-19-18, 05:14 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by psaav
No contest here. I loved the firm feel and solid ride of the F-sport, but I got the best of both worlds with a non-F Luxury. Handling, power and responsiveness of a true sport-sedan with the added perks of a luxury vehicle. Hard to go wrong with this one.
Agreed. But the only lux within 300 miles of me was a 2015 with 49K miles. Too many miles for a car I plan on keeping for the next 12-15 years. I love my new F Sport!
Old 09-19-18, 07:01 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Non FSport - senior citizen
Fsport - non senior citizen

oh - and absolutely no regrets :-)
(and I’m RWD that has to worry about expensive brakes)
Old 09-19-18, 07:51 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,165 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by FI4runner
Non FSport - senior citizen
Fsport - non senior citizen

oh - and absolutely no regrets :-)
(and I’m RWD that has to worry about expensive brakes)
Ha! No joke though...i've seen gramps driving F-Sport GS's and 20-somethings with non F-Sports heavily modded...to each his own!
Old 09-20-18, 05:06 AM
Stewart350
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2014 rwd f sport and love it. Its a great car and in my own personal opinion, feels much better than a standard GS. While i don't regret buying it, If I could do it over again I would buy a luxury package. I love the look of the f sport but i prefer the features of the luxury package. The 18 way driver and passenger seat, memory seats for both driver and passenger, still has the sport +, and comes with fog lights. All you have to do is upgrade the rims and change it to the f sport bumper and your set. I think you should go for the luxury package.
Old 09-20-18, 06:11 AM
staticset
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems as though I'm on the different end of the decision spectrum than most that have commented thus far. Started out with a GSF in mind but after and extended test drive from the dealership and taking it home over a weekend for some thought, I wound up purchasing an 18' F-Sport RWD in order to leave more budget space for a weekend/fun time car.

Not a single regret - having that dividing line between the two really allows me to appreciate the Lexus quality during my weekday driving while looking forward to the mountain runs on the weekend. Comfort and "Sportish" amenities offered between the trim levels (GSF and F Sport) are comparable for the most part provided you can get over the loss of the V8 power. The brake dust up front does get out of control, but the plan is to snag some low dust ceramics here before too long and hopefully cut that down.

Looking from the bottom-up: the higher expense garnered by the F-Sport trim is the best bang for the buck.
Old 09-20-18, 07:39 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
Agreed. But the only lux within 300 miles of me was a 2015 with 49K miles. Too many miles for a car I plan on keeping for the next 12-15 years. I love my new F Sport!
Thats the other issue with the non FSport Lux option. Great alternative, sure. But, they are even harder to find than an FSport in desirable colors. Too hard to be a viable option seems like. Not impossible though.
Old 09-20-18, 08:16 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,165 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlue99
Thats the other issue with the non FSport Lux option. Great alternative, sure. But, they are even harder to find than an FSport in desirable colors. Too hard to be a viable option seems like. Not impossible though.
What i've noticed is that the lux pkg gets more rare the newer the 4GS--which is in line with overall sales of the GS. However, I think its easier to find a '13-'14 luxury pkg than it is to find a '15+ Lux pkg.
Old 09-20-18, 08:22 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
What i've noticed is that the lux pkg gets more rare the newer the 4GS--which is in line with overall sales of the GS. However, I think its easier to find a '13-'14 luxury pkg than it is to find a '15+ Lux pkg.
Ahh... that would explain why I'm seeing so few Lux packages. I'm only looking at '15-'16s.
Old 09-20-18, 08:44 AM
Patrick4GS
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2013 luxury and cold weather package GS with AWD. I hated the wheel gap and lowered the car with Tanabe springs, keeping the S+ working on OEM shocks. I run staggered rims through the summer and OEM 18s in the winter with snow tires.

I do prefer the F Sport front bumper but really wanted the heated steering wheel and adaptive head lights with washers. My rear sun shades never get used. My power trunk is a really nice option and I have grown to love it.

I did swap my heated wood steering wheel to an all leather unit from a hybrid model. Even though the wheel is only 60% heated I absolutely love it in the winter months up north.

Overall this car has been super solid for me, currently around 100,000 miles on it.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (09-21-18)
Old 09-20-18, 10:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick4GS
I have a 2013 luxury and cold weather package GS with AWD. I hated the wheel gap and lowered the car with Tanabe springs, keeping the S+ working on OEM shocks. I run staggered rims through the summer and OEM 18s in the winter with snow tires.

I do prefer the F Sport front bumper but really wanted the heated steering wheel and adaptive head lights with washers. My rear sun shades never get used. My power trunk is a really nice option and I have grown to love it.

I did swap my heated wood steering wheel to an all leather unit from a hybrid model. Even though the wheel is only 60% heated I absolutely love it in the winter months up north.

Overall this car has been super solid for me, currently around 100,000 miles on it.
The luxury package is a great compromise. It doesn't get the F Sport's aggressive front end or it's more aggressive AVS, but it comes with a lot of other great features that you cannot get on an F Sport. Too bad they're so hard to find and have been discontinued. I think that was a mistake.

You can't get the adaptive lights on the F Sport (just auto leveling) but do note that the F Sport does have the heated steering wheel and the cold weather package, which includes the headlight washers, is optional on the F Sport just like the Luxury package. You can also get the power trunk on the F Sport. Like you, I love my heated steering wheel. The best in winter!
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (09-24-18)
Old 09-20-18, 11:47 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

If so, I would like to hear them...

Shopping around for a 2015-2016 GS350 CPO. Honestly, still on the fence in regards to FSport vs no FSport. I like the FSport appearance tweaks on 2015s and 2016s. But not hugely enthusiastic about the higher price as well as extra maintenance cost that will no doubt accompany the performance bits. Also, speaking of which, at this point, I'm not sure if I even care about the performance differences, minor as they are on a GS. Not sure if I can justify all that just because of really mainly cosmetic considerations.

What do you guys think? Is FSport worth it? If so, what makes it worth it to you?
If you intend on driving it in northeast in the winter, you need a second set of wheels and tires (buy a cheap set of aftermarket 18s with decent winter tires) that's literally the only regret I have, although now I don't care so much because I have a 2005 ES330 I can drive whenever the weather/roads are crap. My plan is to keep my GS out of the glue for the rest of its lifespan, unless I buy another "fun" car and it gets demoted somehow.

If you drive this car seriously (as in like, you actually do some mileage) in the winter, you will bend/destroy at least one rim and possibly a tire.

-Mike

Last edited by drgrant; 09-20-18 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-20-18, 11:57 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Now that you mention it... that is a lot of wheel gap.

I suppose its understandable given that it is AWD. Funny, not something I would notice unless it was pointed out to me. AWD is really a must for me here in NYC. Been ages since I owned a RWD car and oh boy... it was not pretty during winter or any serious bad weather.
The wheel gap on the AWD is dumb but honestly it's not something I'm really fixated on unless I'm like sitting there staring at the car or washing it or something. It is a little absurd that I can basically stick a closed fist inside the wheel gap.

Still wouldn't stop me from buying the car again, though.

FWIW the ride height btw is exactly perfect, its just the gap that sucks. The ride height is such that it makes the car "look low" yet it is JUST enough to clear most of those stupid parking lot limiter-curbs and that kind of thing, so you don't tear your bumper off.

-Mike
Old 09-20-18, 12:22 PM
DanoATX
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I sold mine after about 1.5 years. In hindsight I made several mistakes with this purchase.
1) I leased a new car, should have bought it used/CPO
2) I bought an F-Sport. With the bigger wheels/lower profile tires, the ride was too firm for me.
3) I bought a 200T instead of the 350. That 4 cylinder is fairly fast, but you don't get nearly the promised fuel economy. For the MPG's I got, I should have just gone with the V6.
Old 09-20-18, 12:39 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant

If you drive this car seriously (as in like, you actually do some mileage) in the winter, you will bend/destroy at least one rim and possibly a tire.
I have been driving on 19's in Toronto but got 225/45 winter tires instead of stock 235/40's for a bit of extra protection. Our roads are pretty horrible after 1-2 deep freeze and thaw cycles. I know I've been lucky to catch a few of the larger ones and had enough time/space to drive around them.

*Knock on wood*

Last edited by er34; 09-20-18 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone with regrets over getting an FSport?