GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 10:01 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Water pump replacement

Anyone done this yet? Im at 63k miles and wondering if this should be done soon, along with a thermostat and all the drive belts but i dont see any posts about anyone getting it done.
Old 09-24-18, 10:47 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Way too early unless you have some kind of issue
Old 09-24-18, 10:47 AM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought this was a 100k or 120k service schedule.
Old 09-24-18, 11:07 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by GSRockstar
Anyone done this yet? Im at 63k miles and wondering if this should be done soon, along with a thermostat and all the drive belts but i dont see any posts about anyone getting it done.
Vehicles with serpentine timing belts (recommended to be replaced around 60k-100k miles) it is often recommended to have the water pump replaced at the same time because replacing the timing belt requires the mechanic to be working right there where the water pump is located, so due to mileage and cost to [only] replace the water pump at possibly some later time you might as well go ahead and replace it at the same time. The Lexus GS 350 has a timing chain that does not require changing like a serpentine timing belt does. Therefore, there is no need to replace the water pump until it shows signs (bearing noise, leakage) that it really needs to be replaced. There should be no more of a reason to replace the water pump before it is necessary than to replace light bulbs or speakers...
Old 09-24-18, 11:29 AM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Vehicles with serpentine timing belts (recommended to be replaced around 60k-100k miles) it is often recommended to have the water pump replaced at the same time because replacing the timing belt requires the mechanic to be working right there where the water pump is located, so due to mileage and cost to [only] replace the water pump at possibly some later time you might as well go ahead and replace it at the same time. The Lexus GS 350 has a timing chain that does not require changing like a serpentine timing belt does. Therefore, there is no need to replace the water pump until it shows signs (bearing noise, leakage) that it really needs to be replaced. There should be no more of a reason to replace the water pump before it is necessary than to replace light bulbs or speakers...
good info and I know the timiing chain is "suppose" to be looked at or adjusted after 100k miles
Old 09-24-18, 11:50 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jordanhigg
good info and I know the timiing chain is "suppose" to be looked at or adjusted after 100k miles
You may want to look into that again...
Old 09-24-18, 01:25 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

I don't disagree with your recommendations, but what you wrote may be confusing to some. There is a serpentine belt(accessory belt) and there is a timing belt(drive belt). There is no such thing as a serpentine timing belt.

The reason people do water pump at the same time as timing belt service is because you have to remove a ton of stuff to get to the timing belt - and water pump life is typically about the same as the timing belt and relatively cheap in parts cost. As you stated, the GS has a timing chain, so you can wait until signs of leak, and when it does, do yourself a favor and get the thermostat and tensioner done at the same time while you have the coolant out.

The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 01:28 PM
er34
Instructor

Originally Posted by jordanhigg
You may want to look into that again...
This is indeed a problem for certain timing chain cars - look up "GM 3.6 timing chain". The problem is due to stretch in the chain over time eventually causing timing to be off.

Luckily the 2GRFSE in pre-refresh 4GS has over 10yrs of history now and I haven't seen this to be an issue amongst the 3GS and 2IS owners.
Old 09-24-18, 05:52 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

water pump can be done at 120k
Old 09-25-18, 12:42 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

You could argue the water pump need not be replaced until you see symptoms: higher engine temps, more frequent secondary fan running, leaks.

If you change your coolant on schedule and only log hiway miles, your water pump will likely go well beyond 120k.
Old 09-26-18, 05:11 AM
Patrick4GS
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I changed out my serpentine belt last night because it was very dry and starting to make noise. While I was in there I checked the water pump for any leaking and play in the pulley. Everything was in good shape and I am at 100,000 miles. This is not something I would personally try and do early or lump in with a 100k/120k service.
Old 09-26-18, 06:36 AM
er34
Instructor

Originally Posted by jonathancl
You could argue the water pump need not be replaced until you see symptoms: higher engine temps, more frequent secondary fan running, leaks.

If you change your coolant on schedule and only log hiway miles, your water pump will likely go well beyond 120k.
The Toyota Super long life coolant is spec-ed for 120k change isn't it?
Old 09-26-18, 10:28 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by er34
The Toyota Super long life coolant is spec-ed for 120k change isn't it?
Maybe. But the GS Maintenance Schedule has a coolant flush at 60k.

Edit: Oh no it doesn't. It says 100k.

Last edited by jonathancl; 09-27-18 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 11:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Maybe. But the GS Maintenance Schedule has a coolant flush at 60k.
My 2013 GS 350 maintenance schedule doesn't state that...
Old 09-26-18, 11:30 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

My 2013 GS 350 maintenance schedule doesn't state that...
That's right. It's an INSPECTION only item at all 30k intervals. It is suggested for replacement at 100k per the service manual.

FACTORY RECOMMENDED Service for 100K Miles /120Months

Print
  • Check Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
  • Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
  • Perform Road-Test on Vehicle
  • Rotate Tires
  • Inspect Visually, Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
  • Inspect Wiper Blades
  • Inspect /Adjust All Fluid Levels
    (Inspect sealed transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials for signs of leakage. If any leakage from a sealed component is suspected, it is recommended that you have the sealed component inspected by a Toyota dealer. Inspect power steering fluid (if equipped) and brake fluid level/condition. Inspect engine and inverter (if equipped) coolant level/condition/freezing point. Your dealer may recommend services (Dealer-Recommended Maintenance) based on inspection results.)
  • Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter
    (Reset "Maint Reqd" Light If Equipped after maintenance at every 5,000 miles.)
  • Replace Engine Coolant
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped)

Quick Reply: Water pump replacement