GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Power Trunk Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-20, 12:36 AM
NoMSGadded
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Also ever since I jumped those two wires , my trunk light doesn’t work , I am unable to open my trunk with the outside button , key fob button or the one inside the car .

is this normal ? only way to open the trunk is with the key.

Old 04-18-20, 05:01 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMSGadded
Also ever since I jumped those two wires , my trunk light doesn’t work , I am unable to open my trunk with the outside button , key fob button or the one inside the car .

is this normal ? only way to open the trunk is with the key.
If this cable is not correct, nothing will work.Just buy the correct part number posted earlier in the thread.

As for the wiring make sure you connect exactly as I do in this post:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10543457
Old 04-18-20, 09:34 AM
NoMSGadded
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
If this cable is not correct, nothing will work.Just buy the correct part number posted earlier in the thread.

As for the wiring make sure you connect exactly as I do in this post:
i bought this one, I put in the part number posted earlier in the thread and this popped up :

it says it works with ‘Power Trunk ‘

Old 05-11-20, 07:32 PM
krnhyun
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

I just totaled 16 gs350 fsports and picked up 16 GSF. my gs350 had a power trunk but my GSF doesn't have a power trunk. If I just swap all the parts, would it be working everything fine? first two pics are from GS350 and last 2 pics are from GSF.
Please let me know, Thanks.

Old 05-12-20, 03:36 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by krnhyun
I just totaled 16 gs350 fsports and picked up 16 GSF. my gs350 had a power trunk but my GSF doesn't have a power trunk. If I just swap all the parts, would it be working everything fine? first two pics are from GS350 and last 2 pics are from GSF.

Yeah you should be able to swap everything from your old car to the new one. If they are allowing you to pick parts off the car I would take out radio, screen, mouse pad controller, anything worth anything.

I've been trying to find an affordable 2016+ GS navigation mouse/wrist rest controller, I'd pay $125 for yours if it's not banged up and if it is I'd still pay something for it.
Old 05-12-20, 08:17 AM
RichKnecht
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by krnhyun
If you are able to part it out, give me a price on the suspension control switch and shift **** if they are in good shape
Old 06-07-20, 05:13 PM
FunLS1
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Okay so after doing some more research, turns out I still need the most expensive part lol.

84930-50050 is the trunk switch open/close button.
84656-30110 is the bezel for the trunk switch.
85790-30050 is the trunk lid opener assembly which I do not have. The person on eBay put the wrong part number.
64650-30070 is the trunk lid actuator which the eBay guy sold me.
82181-30430 is the trunk wiring harness
The trunk cylinder I am not sure what it is but I assume if you manually use your key to open it that it will trigger the mechanism to lift it up. I will need to swap my lock cylinder with the one that is in this one.

So it looks like I have all the parts except for the very expensive 85790-30050 (retails for ~$1K new and several hundred used). Will need to hunt this part down, looking at some Japanese auctions lol. Oh boy.
Kind of too late for a writeup with pics. But if anyone needs help with wiring if it doesn't work plug and play I can help.

Basically,
1) remove all the trunk trim
2) install power trunk motor on left(drivers side) of the trunk
3) Replace the trunk latch mechanism
4) Replace trunk lid wiring harness
5) Install power close switch

6) If you have 2013 GS run wires from the terminals in my last post if using harness 82181-30320(buy harness from megazip.net)

7) Create custom power trunk hinge mount as I did in my earlier post and bolt it to the motor arm,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10516688

Hi all, thank you for sharing all of this info. I have a 2019 GSF with no power trunk. From what I have gathered from the thread is that I should be able to order the parts as listed and install this feature. Is this correct?
Old 06-07-20, 05:20 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FunLS1
Hi all, thank you for sharing all of this info. I have a 2019 GSF with no power trunk. From what I have gathered from the thread is that I should be able to order the parts as listed and install this feature. Is this correct?
Someone with and f-sport tried to do this mod, but found out they didn't have the plug for the power trunk motor. It's not something you can easily add. So check the driver side of the trunk behind the liner to see if your car has the plug for the power trunk lift motor.
The following users liked this post:
FunLS1 (06-07-20)
Old 06-07-20, 05:43 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

So key difference is GS F-Sport vs GSF. Which one do you own?
The following users liked this post:
FunLS1 (06-07-20)
Old 06-07-20, 05:45 PM
FunLS1
Driver School Candidate

Someone with and f-sport tried to do this mod, but found out they didn't have the plug for the power trunk motor. It's not something you can easily add. So check the driver side of the trunk behind the liner to see if your car has the plug for the power trunk lift motor.
Would the plug be inside the trunk itself or the trunk door? Just so I know which liner to remove
Old 06-07-20, 05:46 PM
FunLS1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eddie420
so key difference is gs f-sport vs gsf. Which one do you own?

Gsf
Old 06-08-20, 12:02 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Would the plug be inside the trunk itself or the trunk door? Just so I know which liner to remove
This is the plug i'm talking about, located inside the trunk, driver side, next to the trunk hinge, you have to remove the trunk liner on that side to see it.:

It's a 26 pin plug:

If you don't have the plug your car is not prewired for the power trunk motor. Apparently the f-sport doesn't have it, @itsRaymond found out after buying parts. I suggest you check for this plug first before doing anything else for this mod.

Last edited by peasodos; 06-08-20 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-12-20, 10:56 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

This is the plug i'm talking about, located inside the trunk, driver side, next to the trunk hinge, you have to remove the trunk liner on that side to see it.:

It's a 26 pin plug:

If you don't have the plug your car is not prewired for the power trunk motor. Apparently the f-sport doesn't have it, @itsRaymond found out after buying parts. I suggest you check for this plug first before doing anything else for this mod.
Yeah, I learned the rough way, but I was able to sell the parts!
Old 06-12-20, 11:32 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by itsRaymond
Yeah, I learned the rough way, but I was able to sell the parts!
Honestly the trunk opens and closes faster before I had the power trunk. I wish I could increase the speed of the motor. It's just nice to just click a button to close the trunk and walk away. You have to have some patience when you click the button to open the trunk, like 3x longer than the manual trunk spring. I do plan on doing a mod to close the trunk from the driver foot well bottom. Also I bought a kit to open the power trunk by waiving my foot under the bumper. These two features will make the power trunk so worth the mod.

Old 06-13-20, 04:52 AM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Honestly the trunk opens and closes faster before I had the power trunk. I wish I could increase the speed of the motor. It's just nice to just click a button to close the trunk and walk away. You have to have some patience when you click the button to open the trunk, like 3x longer than the manual trunk spring. I do plan on doing a mod to close the trunk from the driver foot well bottom. Also I bought a kit to open the power trunk by waiving my foot under the bumper. These two features will make the power trunk so worth the mod.
What spring are you referring to? I have a 2013 AWD F-sport, and when I pop the trunk I still have to manually lift it up. Is it something that I can add? If so, where can I get the parts? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Power Trunk Retrofit