GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Power Trunk Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 06:00 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Neophyte2b
What spring are you referring to? I have a 2013 AWD F-sport, and when I pop the trunk I still have to manually lift it up. Is it something that I can add? If so, where can I get the parts? Thanks.

On the driver side of the trunk you have to remove the trunk liner:

Please see below pic I circled in red, on the driver's side there are two holes to install the trunk spring into. If you install it into the hole I have it in the pic the trunk lid will not fall down. I had the same issue when I bought the car used. I just adjusted the trunk lid spring and problem solved.

Old 06-13-20, 11:19 AM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos

Please see below pic I circled in red, on the driver's side there are two holes to install the trunk spring into. If you install it into the hole I have it in the pic the trunk lid will not fall down. I had the same issue when I bought the car used. I just adjusted the trunk lid spring and problem solved.

Thanks! I'll give it a try this weekend.
Old 06-13-20, 03:46 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

@peasodos I took off my trunk liner, and this is what it looked like:

So, I think that it's already like yours. However, I still need to pull up the trunk myself. Any thoughts?
Old 06-13-20, 03:50 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

This is the plug i'm talking about, located inside the trunk, driver side, next to the trunk hinge, you have to remove the trunk liner on that side to see it.:

It's a 26 pin plug:

If you don't have the plug your car is not prewired for the power trunk motor. Apparently the f-sport doesn't have it, @itsRaymond found out after buying parts. I suggest you check for this plug first before doing anything else for this mod.
@peasodos I have another question for you. When I was trying to look at my trunk hinge I noticed the following:

Does it look like I'm pre-wired for the power trunk retrofit? Thanks.
Old 06-13-20, 04:13 PM
FunLS1
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the plug i'm talking about, located inside the trunk, driver side, next to the trunk hinge, you have to remove the trunk liner on that side to see it.:

It's a 26 pin plug:

If you don't have the plug your car is not prewired for the power trunk motor. Apparently the f-sport doesn't have it, @itsRaymond found out after buying parts. I suggest you check for this plug first before doing anything else for this mod.
Originally Posted by itsRaymond
Yeah, I learned the rough way, but I was able to sell the parts!
Well it looks like mine isn't wired up for it, unless someone can spot something I'm missing. I don't think the power trunk was even an option on the GSF so they probably used only one type of harness for the trunk. Bummer

Old 06-13-20, 06:30 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

@peasodos I took off my trunk liner, and this is what it looked like:

So, I think that it's already like yours. However, I still need to pull up the trunk myself. Any thoughts?
I think the other side also has a spring adjustment. I'm not sure if there is an upgraded spring meant for the trunk with a spioler.

The following users liked this post:
Neophyte2b (06-13-20)
Old 06-13-20, 06:38 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

@peasodos I have another question for you. When I was trying to look at my trunk hinge I noticed the following:

Does it look like I'm pre-wired for the power trunk retrofit? Thanks.

No your not prewired for it. There may be a way to still retrofit the power trunk, but you would have to run a lot of wires or need other modules, idk.
Neophyte2b (06-13-20)
Old 06-15-20, 04:54 AM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

There is a company called Autoease that makes aftermarket power trunk kits for various vehicles, so I asked them if they'd make one for the 2013 GS 350 F-sport. This is their response:

We can try to check if our existing kits can work if you could send some info:

1) trunk open rear view

2) trunk close rear view

3) trunk open side view

4) trunk close side view

5) original gas spring car body bracket

6) original gas spring door bracket

7) original gas spring extended length(from ball joint center) and working stroke (max open height to fully closed)

8) the force value marks on the original gas spring

Would someone please help me with questions 5-8? I don't understand the terminology.

Thanks.

Old 06-15-20, 08:05 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

There is a company called Autoease that makes aftermarket power trunk kits for various vehicles, so I asked them if they'd make one for the 2013 GS 350 F-sport. This is their response:

We can try to check if our existing kits can work if you could send some info:

1) trunk open rear view

2) trunk close rear view

3) trunk open side view

4) trunk close side view

5) original gas spring car body bracket

6) original gas spring door bracket

7) original gas spring extended length(from ball joint center) and working stroke (max open height to fully closed)

8) the force value marks on the original gas spring

Would someone please help me with questions 5-8? I don't understand the terminology.

Thanks.
Our trunk does not have a gas spring, just an old fashioned metal spring. Those kit's won't work for the GS.

Last edited by peasodos; 06-15-20 at 11:00 AM.
Neophyte2b (06-15-20)
Old 06-16-20, 07:09 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

anyone interested in doing this I got the most expensive part for this retrofit for sale (the motor) very motivated to sell!
Old 06-17-20, 05:51 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

This is directed more at Peasodos, but others chime in please. On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being most involved/difficult, what would you rate this modification compared with say the power folding mirror mod, the HUD mod, vs. the stereo and screen mod, vs the front bumper mod. I know it is all somewhat subjective, but some seem to be plug and play, while others involve fabricating or modifying existing parts. Thanks.
Old 06-17-20, 06:00 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hues10
This is directed more at Peasodos, but others chime in please. On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being most involved/difficult, what would you rate this modification compared with say the power folding mirror mod, the HUD mod, vs. the stereo and screen mod, vs the front bumper mod. I know it is all somewhat subjective, but some seem to be plug and play, while others involve fabricating or modifying existing parts. Thanks.
I'll do it this way, list from hardest to easiest:

HUD retrofit (cutting dash, otherwise plug and play)
2016+ Head Unit/Navigation (need a couple adapters, otherwise plug and play)
power folding mirror retrofit (plug and play, unless you have to swap the mirror covers/base because you couldn't get a good deal on the color you need)
Front Bumper Grill swap (direct swap, minor modification to lower grill)
Old 06-17-20, 03:13 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks Peasodos. I go back and forth on the F-sport grille for my 2013. The biggest thing are the little grill inserts next to the fog lights. They are still the horizontal slat Looking things. Did anyone solve that issue? Was there something to install there?
Old 06-17-20, 03:30 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hues10
Thanks Peasodos. I go back and forth on the F-sport grille for my 2013. The biggest thing are the little grill inserts next to the fog lights. They are still the horizontal slat Looking things. Did anyone solve that issue? Was there something to install there?
This is from when I had the base bumper with f-sport grill. Nothing to do about the fog light grill. I thought it looked ok.

Old 09-18-20, 05:24 AM
DeneAlex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I was able to make power trunk working on my 2014 GS F-sport. Had to run a bunch of additional wires, the rest was the same as in the thread. If someone is interested, I can make a DIY with step by step description
The following 2 users liked this post by DeneAlex:
Im2bz2p345 (09-18-20), Neophyte2b (12-13-20)

Quick Reply: Power Trunk Retrofit